babycakez

[URGENT] Name Change after Marriage for AOS, would that affect my reentry to the US with AP?

7 posts in this topic

I came to the states last month on a K-1 visa. I will get married on Wednesday (in two days!!) and I am deciding if I should put my husband's last name as my married name on our marriage license due to the following concerns:

1. Since I will use the married the name on my AOS application, I will be receiving my EAD and AP card in my new married name, which will be different than the name I have on my passport. Will that affect my reentry to the States?

2. After I have received my green card which will also have my new married name on it that is different than the one on my passport, will that cause a problem for future reentry as well?

3. Should I change the name on my passport before I leave the US?

4. On my AOS, do I fill in all the forms using my married name? Including the I-485, EAD application and the AP application?

5. I have a very long first name with no middle name, and I would like to put part of my first name into my middle name, so it will look "very different" than the original. Can I do it on my marriage certification and the AOS application as well or would that cause a lot of problem? (EX: Xiu Ming India Rose -> First name: India Rose; Middle Name: Xiu Ming)

Has anyone have issue with their reentry to the states with their AP after their name change since the name on their AP card would be different that the one on their passport?

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Edited by babycakez

AOS Timeline [Husband is the USC, got married to foreign wife on May 31, 2016 (who was on F1) we both share this account]

June 25, 2016: AOS Package sent with EAD and AP request

June 30, 2016: Checks cashed

July 02, 2016: NOAs Received in mail (they have misspell my wife's name on 2 of the 4 letters they sent us)

July 04, 2016: Electronic NOA1s Received + USCIS online case status shown as "case received"

July 18, 2016: Received biometrics appointment letter in mail (scheduled July 28)

July 28, 2016: Biometrics appointment taken as scheduled, also have my name corrected at the center

Sep 09, 2016: Submitted Service Request since it has passed the 75 day time mark

Sep 12, 2016: Received Service Request Response: case is within our current processing time

Sep 12, 2016: AOS status changed to "interview ready to be scheduled" . EAD & AP case status remain unchanged.

Sep 20, 2016: EAD status changed to ready to deliver, AP case status remain unchanged.

Oct 04, 2016: AP case status remain unchanged but EAD and AP combo card was received in mailbox.

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

I believe the marriage license online application allows you to change your middle and last names, however, I don't know if it will let you alter your first name. Every immigration form should be filled out with your new name(s) and reflect your married name(s) as mentioned on your marriage license.

Having different names on your documents won't affect your re-entry to the U.S. Most forms you file with USCIS include a section "Other names used" which will include your maiden name. This means that any former name that you ever used will be stored within the USCIS database along with your fingerprints. When re-entering the U.S. either as a LPR or with an Combo Card (EAD/Advance Parole Document), you will be inspected by a CBP officer and will always have to give your passport with your EAD or LPR Card. By checking your A-number and prints, they will understand that the multiple names showing up on their screen relate to the same person.

Whether you want to change your name on your passport is up to you, but it won't make any difference as far as your ability to reenter the U.S. with a different last name.

(I took my spouse's last name when I applied for adjustment of status and traveled in and out of the country many times with my passport showing my former name and LPR card showing my married name. I never had any problem. Please note that the foregoing should not be taken as legal advice.)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I came to the states last month on a K-1 visa. I will get married on Wednesday (in two days!!) and I am deciding if I should put my husband's last name as my married name on our marriage license due to the following concerns:

1. Since I will use the married the name on my AOS application, I will be receiving my EAD and AP card in my new married name, which will be different than the name I have on my passport. Will that affect my reentry to the States? No. You will not have a problem reentering the US. Use your green card (new name) + marriage certificate (old name + spouse's name) + passport (old name) to show that it's the same person.

2. After I have received my green card which will also have my new married name on it that is different than the one on my passport, will that cause a problem for future reentry as well? No. You will not have a problem reentering the US. Use your green card (new name) + marriage certificate (old name + spouse's name) + passport (old name) to show that it's the same person.

3. Should I change the name on my passport before I leave the US? Only if you want to.

4. On my AOS, do I fill in all the forms using my married name? Including the I-485, EAD application and the AP application? Yes if you want all those documents in your married name.

5. I have a very long first name with no middle name, and I would like to put part of my first name into my middle name, so it will look "very different" than the original. Can I do it on my marriage certification and the AOS application as well or would that cause a lot of problem? (EX: Xiu Ming India Rose -> First name: India Rose; Middle Name: Xiu Ming) No. You can not do that. You can not change your first and middle names. You can only change your last name to match or combine it with your spouse's last name.

Has anyone have issue with their reentry to the states with their AP after their name change since the name on their AP card would be different that the one on their passport? Yes if they forget a copy of their marriage certificate to link the two different names.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Thank you Aaron and Reccoon for your informative replies so that I can take my husband's last name at ease, thank you so much guys :D

AOS Timeline [Husband is the USC, got married to foreign wife on May 31, 2016 (who was on F1) we both share this account]

June 25, 2016: AOS Package sent with EAD and AP request

June 30, 2016: Checks cashed

July 02, 2016: NOAs Received in mail (they have misspell my wife's name on 2 of the 4 letters they sent us)

July 04, 2016: Electronic NOA1s Received + USCIS online case status shown as "case received"

July 18, 2016: Received biometrics appointment letter in mail (scheduled July 28)

July 28, 2016: Biometrics appointment taken as scheduled, also have my name corrected at the center

Sep 09, 2016: Submitted Service Request since it has passed the 75 day time mark

Sep 12, 2016: Received Service Request Response: case is within our current processing time

Sep 12, 2016: AOS status changed to "interview ready to be scheduled" . EAD & AP case status remain unchanged.

Sep 20, 2016: EAD status changed to ready to deliver, AP case status remain unchanged.

Oct 04, 2016: AP case status remain unchanged but EAD and AP combo card was received in mailbox.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I filed my aos using my last name not my husband last name. Do I have a problem with that? Thank you..

I filed my aos using my last name not my husband last name. Do I have a problem with that? Thank you..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you are not changing your name through marriage, then no.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.