Chrystal and Joe

Lawyers are a waiste of time and money!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

We are going through this process with a lawyer and he is not helpful at all! My address in Canada has changed since we started the process and I sent many emails to our lawyer about the change and he just said that we don't need to deal with it at that time, so I held off and quite frankly forgot about it for a while. But now he said that I have to wait to be contacted by the USC in Toronto before we move on with our next step (we have received our NOA2 after months and months wait) becuase they will send me the appropriate information to move on. So then I got thinking to myself...I bet my lawyer never did anything for the change of address...and guess what, after I contacted him again about it I learned that, of course, nothing has been done.

So he told me to contact the USC in Toronto and find out what I'm supposed to do. Does anybody know where I can get the information to contact them? And what I'm supposed to do?

In the end, I would not recommend getting a lawyer...ours was worthless and we paid a pretty penny for him!

If anyone was reading my posts yesterday about trouble in paradise with my fiance...thank you for all of you help and advice...Joe and I are going to talk again tonight and hopefully we can start on working on something that we are both happy with.

Thanks,

Chrystal

:(

Chrystal (sad)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello all,

We are going through this process with a lawyer and he is not helpful at all! My address in Canada has changed since we started the process and I sent many emails to our lawyer about the change and he just said that we don't need to deal with it at that time, so I held off and quite frankly forgot about it for a while. But now he said that I have to wait to be contacted by the USC in Toronto before we move on with our next step (we have received our NOA2 after months and months wait) becuase they will send me the appropriate information to move on. So then I got thinking to myself...I bet my lawyer never did anything for the change of address...and guess what, after I contacted him again about it I learned that, of course, nothing has been done.

So he told me to contact the USC in Toronto and find out what I'm supposed to do. Does anybody know where I can get the information to contact them? And what I'm supposed to do?

In the end, I would not recommend getting a lawyer...ours was worthless and we paid a pretty penny for him!

If anyone was reading my posts yesterday about trouble in paradise with my fiance...thank you for all of you help and advice...Joe and I are going to talk again tonight and hopefully we can start on working on something that we are both happy with.

Thanks,

Chrystal

:(

Whether or not one needs a lawyer is a function of the complexity of the specific case and of the comfort level of the petitioner to be able to educate themselves in the forms and bureaucracy associated with the process.

Also, any lawyer worth his salt would know that the immigrant visa process doesn't go through Toronto at all... All Immigrant visa issues are processed at the US Consulate in Montreal...

You need to find out the State Department Case number by calling the NVC in New Hampshire. After you get the NVC Case number, you can either call the Consulate in Montreal or email them at Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sorry to hear that man. Some people using a lawyer just so they feel better. Persoanlly, I think you can do whatever you are paying for them to do for ya.

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

well the USC in toronto does not handle any K visas and you could wait forever toronto will never call you your best bet is to find out whether NVC has your case# their Tel# 603 334 0700

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Contact Montreal directly

514-398-9695 Press 6 Ext #3833 (between 2:00 & 4:30 eastern time)

Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We were paranoid and used one too. Great for easing the jitters at first, but after he received our payment his helpfulness and availability dropped right off the map. To some extent it was worth it, since at least during the very long wait we could be fairly certain all the i's had been dotted and the t's crossed on our forms. Still, we had an almost unbelievable lack of professionalism from him once we ceased to be a cash flow.

4/11/05 - NOA1 from Nebraska Service Center

01/11/06 - NOA2

02/14/06 - NVC sends 129f to embassy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That is why zyggy is correct for basic functions; like fill out forms, mailing documents, gathering information from their client, etc, they suck most of the time because this is not what they study for, that is their thinking. They just like the easy money part of it. Where they shine if they somewhat value their jobs is in courts, litigations, problem solving, etc. This is not right but it is how it is. No one is going to put time and effort that the actual people involve in it, unless you are paying six figures.

There are knowledgeable VJ members that can help you with almost every part of the process.

Good luck,

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

Filed: Timeline
That is why zyggy is correct for basic functions; like fill out forms, mailing documents, gathering information from their client, etc, they suck most of the time because this is not what they study for, that is their thinking. They just like the easy money part of it. Where they shine if they somewhat value their jobs is in courts, litigations, problem solving, etc. This is not right but it is how it is. No one is going to put time and effort that the actual people involve in it, unless you are paying six figures.

There are knowledgeable VJ members that can help you with almost every part of the process.

Good luck,

Peter Miami

I liken immigration attorneys to physicians or surgeons. Most are very well educated, most are well-informed, many are superb, but all are only as good as the information they receive and the time they afford each case. Some are overworked, some don't keep abreast of changes due to that or to not having a compelling need to keep abreast. For every 100 surgeons that save a life, there's one buffoon that leaves a pair of forceps inside a patient. It's just a fact of life and the demands of the profession, unfortunately. The best thing to do if engaging an attorney is to advise him/her right off the bat that you will be checking in and wanting to know what, why and how. It'll keep him/her on his feet and you'll feel like you have some control in the process.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

PLEEEEASE do NOT ever liken an attorney for a surgeon. A surgeon must study very difficult pre-med material in undergrad where a lawyer can major in gymnastics and still get into law school. Law school is just reading and evaluating, med school is much more difficult that law school by far! A lawyer is nowhere NEAR as competent as a surgeon...

Good luck,

Peter Miami

I liken immigration attorneys to physicians or surgeons. Most are very well educated, most are well-informed, many are superb, but all are only as good as the information they receive and the time they afford each case. Some are overworked, some don't keep abreast of changes due to that or to not having a compelling need to keep abreast. For every 100 surgeons that save a life, there's one buffoon that leaves a pair of forceps inside a patient. It's just a fact of life and the demands of the profession, unfortunately. The best thing to do if engaging an attorney is to advise him/her right off the bat that you will be checking in and wanting to know what, why and how. It'll keep him/her on his feet and you'll feel like you have some control in the process.

12/15/2005 - Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

12/17/2005 - VSC receives I-129F via express courier (day 1)

12/23/2005 - VSC officially sends out NOA1 stating receipt

01/05/2006 - Called the National Service Center and got NOA1 receipt number.

01/10/2006 - NOA2 received via USCIS website and email. VSC is blazingly fast! (day 22!)

01/20/2006 - Receive NOA2 via snail mail in Thailand

01/26/2006 - Bangkok Embassy confirms our case is in their system (day 38)

01/30/2006 - Dropped off checklist and doc's with embassy

01/31/2006 - Received email from embassy confirming our interview date 3/20/06! Woohoo! (day 43)

02/08/2006 - Received police report and packet 4

03/01/2006 - Medical Exam completed

03/20/2006 - Interview! (day 91)- SUCCESS!

03/21/2006 - Picked up VISA!

04/04/2006 - Fly to USA together to get officially married in US and to start our life there together!

04/07/2006 - Arrived at JFK, C received temp EAD stamp. Drove to MD to live!

04/20/2006 - Applied for SS Card in maiden name, received it 3 days later

05/12/2006 - Officially married in the US! (2nd ceremony)

05/15/2006 - US Reception

05/16/2006 - Applied for new SS card with married name - Applied for EAD

06/01/2006 - Applied for AOS I-485

10/27/2006 - EAD Approved!

Filed: Timeline
PLEEEEASE do NOT ever liken an attorney for a surgeon. A surgeon must study very difficult pre-med material in undergrad where a lawyer can major in gymnastics and still get into law school. Law school is just reading and evaluating, med school is much more difficult that law school by far! A lawyer is nowhere NEAR as competent as a surgeon...

I wasn't comparing them, I was saying that in both disciplines you get the thorough and the not so thorough. Not to mention the fact that fellow JDs might consider your summary of their preparation a little less than complimentary.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.