JFox762

How soon after my Fiance arrives in US, can she start working?

29 posts in this topic

While I earn enough to take care of my Fiance and her child... it's not "ideal". I surpass the 125% of poverty line requirement. I make about $30,000/yr as an EMT... the biggest saving grace is that my house is completely paid off and I have no car payments and practically no debt.

The faster my Fiance can start working, the easier our lives will be by ... *A LOT*. She's actually an Engineer, has years of experience working for an American company overseas, speaks perfect English... I figure she will easily earn at least $50,000 to start. Coupled with my income, our household income would be *VERY* nice considering our house would be paid off. Her working is the difference between money being somewhat tight... and being moderately wealthy. So the question is, how quickly can she be eligible to work? I understand that filing for working privileges really only makes sense to do in conjunction with your AOS due to timing, fee costs, etc. So that basically means, we should be able to file our AOS as soon as we get married? How soon would she be able to work? What is the latest expected we'd have to wait.

My Fiance is coming from the Philippines if it makes any difference.

You can file for aos as soon as you have your marriage certificate. Then you can file for ead (work permit) at the same time. It takes around 90 days to get an approval, but it can be sooner or later. She will only be able to work after getting the ead, she will also need a ssn number, so get to that as soon as she is here.

You might want to read around the aos forums to get more acclimated to the aos waiting times.

Good luck.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

How quickly can she get her SS #?

There is going to be some difference in answer with this. Depending on the SSA office in your place. Here in Seattle, a few days after we got married I applied my SSN with my married name. Some offices might ask for you to wait for the GC first.

How quickly can she get her SS #?

As soon as she gets here. She will need to go to the nearest Ssn office with a ss5 form, copy of her i94, passport and I think her birth certificate (and translation). Then she should get her Ssn card in about 10 days.

There is going to be some difference in answer with this. Depending on the SSA office in your place. Here in Seattle, a few days after we got married I applied my SSN with my married name. Some offices might ask for you to wait for the GC first.

If she applies before marriage and with maiden name, they should not ask for the gc.

Timeline

As soon as she gets here. She will need to go to the nearest Ssn office with a ss5 form, copy of her i94, passport and I think her birth certificate (and translation). Then she should get her Ssn card in about 10 days.

If she applies before marriage and with maiden name, they should not ask for the gc.

What I'm trying to say is that some SSA office will allow you to apply your SSN with the married name without the GC and it saves you from going back to change your SSN name to the married name when the GC comes in. It's just more convenient.

What I'm trying to say is that some SSA office will allow you to apply your SSN with the married name without the GC and it saves you from going back to change your SSN name to the married name when the GC comes in. It's just more convenient.

Gotcha. I'd stick to doing it as soon as possible, than going after marrying and not being able to get it just to save me time after because I want to change my name. But I'm over cautious, I can see how it can be a pain.

Either way, op, read around, find what's best for you and what will suit your needs. Good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Well, many offices don't allow that. So, one should always (in my opinion) obtain a SSN in the maiden name immediately upon arrival. Whn the I94 is close to expiry, many offices will not give out a SSN at all. Having a SSN is quite important for many official purposes.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

Gotcha. I'd stick to doing it as soon as possible, than going after marrying and not being able to get it just to save me time after because I want to change my name. But I'm over cautious, I can see how it can be a pain.

Either way, op, read around, find what's best for you and what will suit your needs. Good luck.

That is true. Having SSN the soonest is helpful especially if the office is close anyway.

Timeline

Well, many offices don't allow that. So, one should always (in my opinion) obtain a SSN in the maiden name immediately upon arrival. Whn the I94 is close to expiry, many offices will not give out a SSN at all. Having a SSN is quite important for many official purposes.

It's just an option for people who are far from the SSA office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the AOS/Family-Based main forum -- topic involves that stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.