rdsv

Decision cannot be made on N400 interview

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Correction, Just because one gets a "no decision can be made" at the end of the interview does not necessarily mean you will get an RFE. I have seen so many have no decision at end of the interview only to be approved a few days later.

You probably are correct, but please indicate where you got that information from.

The few cases of no decision I have followed all came eventually with an RFE, sooner or later, some in a week and some after months.

Either way, I love to always stand at the extreme side of things, if the IO has a doubt in his/her mind and is not set on approving on the same day of the interview, I will gear up for an RFE rather than an approval. My thought process.

I will go on further by saying, more the delay after the interview , higher the chance of the RFE. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Correction, Just because one gets a "no decision can be made" at the end of the interview does not necessarily mean you will get an RFE. I have seen so many have no decision at end of the interview only to be approved a few days later.

Agree. The majority of times an applicant gets "decision cannot be made" there is no RFE. This is the result of the interview any time the interviewer hasn't had time to review the file in detail or needs to double check something with a supervisor.

Sometimes this result is given when an interviewer needs more info from the applicant, but in most (by far) cases that I've read about there is no RFE.

However, an RFE certainly IS a possibility and would not be at all uncommon.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

A decision that is not made after the interview mostly triggers an RFE. The first level officers who answer the toll free do not know the inner working of your file.

Only the ISO assigned to your case, knows about it. That said, I have not seen a denial given after interview is over, usually its approved or decision cannot be made. The later, follows the RFE, then an approval or denial.

The service has 120 days from interview to give you an update. Also, all recommended for approval files go thru a supervisory quality control final check.

Do you know do they have 120 work or calendar days from interview date to make decision?

Do you know do they have 120 work or calendar days from interview date to make decision?

Dont really remember.

In addition, during my interview, I was well dressed and was waiting for my call. A well dressed lady comes and sits besides me, single guy like me gets excited, she was a lawyer. She told me the service has 120 days to reply.

She came, she spoke, my ordinary tensed morning got extraordinary with an approval. :dancing:(L) I went in happy for the interview and left happy.

i had my interview last May 4. i was recommended for approval. but after one week I received an RFE letter. i submitted it last May 19 and now waiting....

June 2 2013 priority date
december 2013 Rfe
february 2014 sent Rfe
March 2014 approved at USCIS
june 2014 NVC received
march 2 2015 sent aos and iv package
march 8 i emailed nvc request to expedite my case
march 13 approved expedite request
march 17 in transit status in CEAC
march 19 case file at US embassy
march 23 first day of medical at Slec
march 29 personal evaluation...passed!
April 6 immunization
april 13 interview at USEM. under Administrative Processing Reason; Medical result was still not forwarded by SLEC.
After my interview i called SLEC they told me they forwarded it at USEM same day of my interview.
July 29 I emailed SLEC to confirm again when did they forwarded my Medical Result at USEM. They replied...forwarded April 13.
July 30 status update date change FINALLY.
September 2015 went in US embassy to withdraw my passport coz I've waited for how many months and no approval yet. Only to find out my case file has been sitting in the corner ...no one reviewed my medical result. to make the story short, I took medical again for the second time , then after a my medical result released, I have my visa on my hands.

October 28 2015 POE Sam Francisco
November 7, 2015 SSN
December 2015... 10 year green card arrived
December 2015 Driver's license issued..yay! <p>

NATURALIZATION N400 SECTION 319B
January 29,2016 Application for N400 section 319b sent at Phoenix AZ
February 1 Priority date
February 9 NOA
February 23 Biometric done, walk in (March 2 original schedule
February 28 Inline for interview
March 30 interview was scheduled
May 4, 2016 INTERVIEW APPROVED

All cases go through a supervisor. An interviewer can give you one of three outcomes:

Recommend approval

Decision cannot be made

Denied

If approval is recommended, sometimes an applicant is asked to wait while a supervisor reviews the file and the applicant is then given an oath letter for a same day oath or for a later oath ceremony.

If there are questions about the application or if the interviewer has not had a chance to go through the file prior to the interview then the applicant is told that a decision cannot be made.

There is another interesting option which I received after my interview. " We will mail you the decision".

After that officer said everything looks great and this file has to go through my supervisor if we need anything we will let you know. Then at the door he said congratulations.

Two weeks since then waiting game continues.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

i had my interview last May 4. i was recommended for approval. but after one week I received an RFE letter. i submitted it last May 19 and now waiting....

What did they requested for?

ry8wm8.png........oSDDm8.png ke7wm7.png

My wife's journey:

============================================= USCIS ==============================================

12/15/2017 (Friday) I-130 & I-130A were sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox by FedEx (overnight)

12/16/2017 (Saturday) I-130 & I-130A were delivered to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox (signed by J. Lopez)

12/18/2017 (Monday) PRIORITY DATE

12/20/2017 (Wednesday) Received text and email that my case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Texas Service Center for processing

12/21/2017 (Thursday) Check was cashed. NOA-1 (I-797C) was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

12/26/2017 (Tuesday) NOA-1 (I-797C) was received.

06/07/2018 (Thursday) NOA-2 was APPROVED. 172 days.

06/11/2018 (Monday) NOA-2 was delivered by USPS to my home address.

06/22/2018 (Friday) Our case was sent to the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for visa processing (NVC)

============================================= NVC ==============================================

07/27/2018 (Friday) NVC welcome letter with Case number and Invoice ID number was received by email. (51 days from NOA 2 and 225 days total)

07/27/2018-07/31/2018 NVC website was down

07/31/2018 Fees paid.

08/08/2018 ALL forms and documents were submitted (uploaded) to NVC website.

08/14/2018 CASE COMPLETED (DOCUMENTARILY QUALIFIED)

09/19/2018 Got email with VISA INTERVIEW DATE

My journey:

02/01/2016 N-400 Filing Date (Sent package via UPS).

02/04/2016 N-400 package was delivered (signed by Adriana) to Phoenix, AZ (USCIS Lockbox). PRIORITY DATE

02/18/2016 Fee waiver was approved. NOTICE DATE

02/19/2016 Received text and email from USCIS (NOA).

02/22/2016 I-797C (NOA) letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

02/25/2016 I-797C (NOA) received by regular mail (USPS).

02/27/2016 NOTICE DATE for Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment.

03/02/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

03/05/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment letter was delivered to me.

03/07/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) (early walk-in).

03/10/2016 In Line (email from USCIS/DHS).

05/04/2016 "Interview was scheduled" email (email from USCIS/DHS).

05/05/2016 Interview letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS. NOTICE DATE.

05/10/2016 Interview letter was delivered to me.

06/08/2016 Interview.

06/08/2016 N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (hand given right after the Interview).

06/16/2016 Oath Ceremony.

I'M A US CITIZEN!!!!!!  

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Sometimes it is as simple as you getting an inexperienced junior IO who cannot make a decision on their own. These guys do not even recommend for approval but take down all the notes needed and then pass it to a supervisor. Here are three levels of officers:

1. New inexperienced officer. They hardly make an decision leave alone recommend. Instead of them telling you that at the end of the interview, they say it cannot be made.

2. Experienced mid-level officers: They can recommend for approval and then route file to supervisor for final approval

3. Senior officers: These might also comprise of supervisors. They can approve of deny outright. They can even give you an oath date at the end of the interview.

This is what I have gathered from my research on VJ atleast.

You probably are correct, but please indicate where you got that information from.

The few cases of no decision I have followed all came eventually with an RFE, sooner or later, some in a week and some after months.

Either way, I love to always stand at the extreme side of things, if the IO has a doubt in his/her mind and is not set on approving on the same day of the interview, I will gear up for an RFE rather than an approval. My thought process.

I will go on further by saying, more the delay after the interview , higher the chance of the RFE. :)

Sometimes it is as simple as you getting an inexperienced junior IO who cannot make a decision on their own. These guys do not even recommend for approval but take down all the notes needed and then pass it to a supervisor. Here are three levels of officers:

1. New inexperienced officer. They hardly make an decision leave alone recommend. Instead of them telling you that at the end of the interview, they say it cannot be made.

2. Experienced mid-level officers: They can recommend for approval and then route file to supervisor for final approval

3. Senior officers: These might also comprise of supervisors. They can approve of deny outright. They can even give you an oath date at the end of the interview.

This is what I have gathered from my research on VJ atleast.

Super!

What did they requested for?

my n400 application is under section 319b. meaning my husband is working abroad and im securing citizenship so i can be with my spouse. They asked a proof that i will leave the country in 45 days aftwr getting my citizenship. so my hubby didnt think of any proof aside from plane ticket, date july 6. then another rfe is a letter from my hubby's company explsining of what they are asking.

i hope i can have my oath this month , then i will do the sane day passporting at LA.

december 2013 Rfe
february 2014 sent Rfe
june 2014 NVC received
April 6 immunization
april 13 interview at USEM. under Administrative Processing Reason; Medical result was still not forwarded by SLEC.
After my interview i called SLEC they told me they forwarded it at USEM same day of my interview.
July 29 I emailed SLEC to confirm again when did they forwarded my Medical Result at USEM. They replied...forwarded April 13.
September 2015 went in US embassy to withdraw my passport coz I've waited for how many months and no approval yet. Only to find out my case file has been sitting in the corner ...no one reviewed my medical result. to make the story short, I took medical again for the second time , then after a my medical result released, I have my visa on my hands.

November 7, 2015 SSN

February 1 Priority date
February 9 NOA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

my n400 application is under section 319b. meaning my husband is working abroad and im securing citizenship so i can be with my spouse. They asked a proof that i will leave the country in 45 days aftwr getting my citizenship. so my hubby didnt think of any proof aside from plane ticket, date july 6. then another rfe is a letter from my hubby's company explsining of what they are asking.

i hope i can have my oath this month , then i will do the sane day passporting at LA.

Thank you.

I hope for Singles final process won't be that painful :)

ry8wm8.png........oSDDm8.png ke7wm7.png

My wife's journey:

============================================= USCIS ==============================================

12/15/2017 (Friday) I-130 & I-130A were sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox by FedEx (overnight)

12/16/2017 (Saturday) I-130 & I-130A were delivered to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox (signed by J. Lopez)

12/18/2017 (Monday) PRIORITY DATE

12/20/2017 (Wednesday) Received text and email that my case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Texas Service Center for processing

12/21/2017 (Thursday) Check was cashed. NOA-1 (I-797C) was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

12/26/2017 (Tuesday) NOA-1 (I-797C) was received.

06/07/2018 (Thursday) NOA-2 was APPROVED. 172 days.

06/11/2018 (Monday) NOA-2 was delivered by USPS to my home address.

06/22/2018 (Friday) Our case was sent to the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for visa processing (NVC)

============================================= NVC ==============================================

07/27/2018 (Friday) NVC welcome letter with Case number and Invoice ID number was received by email. (51 days from NOA 2 and 225 days total)

07/27/2018-07/31/2018 NVC website was down

07/31/2018 Fees paid.

08/08/2018 ALL forms and documents were submitted (uploaded) to NVC website.

08/14/2018 CASE COMPLETED (DOCUMENTARILY QUALIFIED)

09/19/2018 Got email with VISA INTERVIEW DATE

My journey:

02/01/2016 N-400 Filing Date (Sent package via UPS).

02/04/2016 N-400 package was delivered (signed by Adriana) to Phoenix, AZ (USCIS Lockbox). PRIORITY DATE

02/18/2016 Fee waiver was approved. NOTICE DATE

02/19/2016 Received text and email from USCIS (NOA).

02/22/2016 I-797C (NOA) letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

02/25/2016 I-797C (NOA) received by regular mail (USPS).

02/27/2016 NOTICE DATE for Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment.

03/02/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

03/05/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment letter was delivered to me.

03/07/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) (early walk-in).

03/10/2016 In Line (email from USCIS/DHS).

05/04/2016 "Interview was scheduled" email (email from USCIS/DHS).

05/05/2016 Interview letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS. NOTICE DATE.

05/10/2016 Interview letter was delivered to me.

06/08/2016 Interview.

06/08/2016 N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (hand given right after the Interview).

06/16/2016 Oath Ceremony.

I'M A US CITIZEN!!!!!!  

I have experienced that.

Decision cannot me made. Got RFE after my interview.

Send all requested paperwok 2 weeks ago.

Waiting.......patience.....

did you hear anything from them? any update on your case? coz for me, i already took an schedule for infopass.

december 2013 Rfe
february 2014 sent Rfe
june 2014 NVC received
April 6 immunization

November 7, 2015 SSN

February 1 Priority date
February 9 NOA

did you hear anything from them? any update on your case? coz for me, i already took an schedule for infopass.

No yet. Lawyer said i have to wait. it will be a long wait. i think few months..

When the IO does not give you the written approval as soon as the interview is over, a numerous possibilities open up, no one can tell the end outcome.

See this link, one of the top lawyer in the country has commented on the issue.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/how-long-does-it-take-to-receive-oath-letter-after-833648.html

No yet. Lawyer said i have to wait. it will be a long wait. i think few months..

i dont wanna sit hear and wait. i have a traumatic experience in the philippines during my interview. they put me in AP because my medical result was still not in my file. i kept calling the embassy and they kept telling me on AP and it will take time. after 5 months i decided to go and withdraw my passport. only to find out my file is just sitting in the corner. my medical result was still close. no one reviewed it. the clinic i had my medical told me they sent it to the embassy same day of my interview. so what hurt most? my medical expired so i need to do it again, 300$.

so now im not gonna sit here and wait. ive been calling and they are just telling me what i can see on my online case status. and when i told them i already sent my rfe, wait 120 days. I just wanna make sure my file is not sitting in the corner again and collecting dust.

during my interview she told me, congratulations and just wait for the letter for your oath, it will be 2-3 weeks. then got rfe. sad sad sad.

Edited by malenliam

december 2013 Rfe
february 2014 sent Rfe
june 2014 NVC received
April 6 immunization

November 7, 2015 SSN

February 1 Priority date
February 9 NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.