rdsv

Decision cannot be made on N400 interview

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Just wondering on people experience's after getting a decision cannot be made after the N400 interview.

I know it can take from 1 day to 120 days (limit that USCIS has)or more.

Could other people share their experiences?

Timing when they got a decision? online update? letter?

I noticed on the USCIS website that most office locations are falling behind. Not sure if that would be the reason...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well i been waiting to hear back for a week...

No updates at all, no RFE, no mail.....

Does anybody know what the do?

Do they keep looking at your file? Do they just send it to their supervisor?

Either the interviewer is still looking at it or its sitting in a pile on a supervisor's desk.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I thought they would just tell you yes or no.

Didnt think they would let you out there just waiting.

So all cases go thru a supervisor?

Some people get approved rightaway from what i read online.

It would be nice to know what their processes are...

All cases go through a supervisor. An interviewer can give you one of three outcomes:

Recommend approval

Decision cannot be made

Denied

If approval is recommended, sometimes an applicant is asked to wait while a supervisor reviews the file and the applicant is then given an oath letter for a same day oath or for a later oath ceremony.

If there are questions about the application or if the interviewer has not had a chance to go through the file prior to the interview then the applicant is told that a decision cannot be made.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Other Timeline

All cases go through a supervisor. An interviewer can give you one of three outcomes:

Recommend approval

Decision cannot be made

Denied

If approval is recommended, sometimes an applicant is asked to wait while a supervisor reviews the file and the applicant is then given an oath letter for a same day oath or for a later oath ceremony.

If there are questions about the application or if the interviewer has not had a chance to go through the file prior to the interview then the applicant is told that a decision cannot be made.

Deny is an option, but I think that IO is not going to deny someone during the interview because he or she would not like to deal with applicants' dissatisfaction.

This is my opinion.

A decision that is not made after the interview mostly triggers an RFE. The first level officers who answer the toll free do not know the inner working of your file.

Only the ISO assigned to your case, knows about it. That said, I have not seen a denial given after interview is over, usually its approved or decision cannot be made. The later, follows the RFE, then an approval or denial.

The service has 120 days from interview to give you an update. Also, all recommended for approval files go thru a supervisory quality control final check.

read JimmyHou's response. Its as accurate as it gets.

I will go one step further to tell you, all the information during an Infopass appointment or any information from the toll free number is not accurate.

Only the ISO who has taken your interview knows all the dynamics of your file - what happens to it in the next 5 days, what happens to it tomorrow. All other information is moot. There is no way for anyone to know whats on their minds until the ISO in charge approves or RFE's.

Until the ISO marks an approved on your file and updates it on your case file on his USCIS system, nothing is for sure. And no one has that information.

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

A decision that is not made after the interview mostly triggers an RFE. The first level officers who answer the toll free do not know the inner working of your file.

Only the ISO assigned to your case, knows about it. That said, I have not seen a denial given after interview is over, usually its approved or decision cannot be made. The later, follows the RFE, then an approval or denial.

The service has 120 days from interview to give you an update. Also, all recommended for approval files go thru a supervisory quality control final check.

Correction, Just because one gets a "no decision can be made" at the end of the interview does not necessarily mean you will get an RFE. I have seen so many have no decision at end of the interview only to be approved a few days later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.