LoveBird-CA16

Do we need engagement document from Laos to submit with I-129F

4 posts in this topic

Hello Happy People

I am helping my son to bring his girl friend from Laos. They have met and spent time together about a year and half ago and have been talking to each other since. When he met her they didnt do any engagement ceremony so they didint have any engagement document from laos I am in the process gathering all the supporting docs to submit, i have read the requirement from USCIS they did not requirement that engagement document, I have searched the net and talked to couple attorneys they said No we dont need it, because its not a legal paper here in the US. HOWEVER, I spoke to many successful lao guys that brought their fiance here, they all submitted the engagement paper along with other support documents. The problem is my son is very busy at work and wont be able to take off work for long enough to go to laos, and we want to start the process now dont want to wait another year or so.... So MY QUESTION IS: do I need that engagement paper to submit with I-129f right now? Anyone doing this K-1 from lao without having to include this engaged paper? and successful? what problem would I encounter? Also just wonder if I go a head submit I-129f now and have him go to laos after and right before they call her for interview?? Anyone have had this experiences please share, Thank you in advance.... Good luck to everyone!

No engagement ceremony or paper is needed by the embassy at all. It is actually good that they have not had an engagement ceremony because that can be taken as being a marriage ceremony by the embassy and she would get denied then.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How much time did they spend together?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sounds like they will need more proof of a relationship. Seeing each other 1.5 years ago is not much proof. My wife is from Vietnam and we felt the need to include a lot of proof (I had two lengthy visits, met her family, took hundreds of photos, traveled throughout her country, and attended the interview). I did all of that within about six months - I found the time. Also, he should be doing the K-1, not you. If he doesn't have the time to learn the process, the process may not have time for him. The K-1 interview can be tough, so he better know everything in the petition - and know it well. There are a lot of K-1 rejections in SE Asia.

Engagement ceremony comes AFTER you get the visa. They will likely ask if they are having one (and when/where? etc.). Also, has he asked her to get married? It's not a girlfriend visa.

He needs to get involved and he needs to go see her. If doesn't have much time, maybe he's too busy for her and the long, laborious process of K-1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.