string_beats

Two wedding ceremonies? (split thread/merged topics)

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I need advice related to wedding as well, my fiancee (petitioner) wants us to do courthouse wedding first, couple of days before our actual wedding celebration which is planned on 4th June where the church minister will be marrying us.

I am bit worried because I am not sure if this going to help us at the time of AOS or to get the marriage certificate quickerr? or is it going to make things more difficult. Can anyone explain me how does marriage certificate/ license process work in Virginia and what is the right thing for us to do? Thanks

AOS from K-1 visa

5/27/2016: Entered US on k-1 visa

6/01/2016: Married!

7/22/2016: I-485 & I-131 & I-765 sent to USCIS

8/1/2016: NOA via SMS & Email received

8/3/2016: NOA letters received

8/10/2016: Biometrics appointment letter received (scheduled for 26 August)

8/26/2016: Biometrics done at Alexandria, VA

9/19/2016: RFIE E-Notification Received

9/23/2016: RFIE Letter Received

10/27/2016: Responsed back to RFIE Letter

10/31/2016: USCIS received RFIE Letter

11/15/2016: Open Service Request on USCIS as EAD/AP was beyond regulatory time frame

11/15/2016: An hour later EAD/ AP approved, Status Changed to: New Card is being produced

11/22/2016: AP approval letter received in the mail

11/23/2016: EAD/ AP Combo Card in Hand, collected from mail box at 2pm.

12/07/2016: USCIS status updated to interview is scheduled for 01/09/2017.

12/10/2016: I-485 interview letter received in mail.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I need advice related to wedding as well, my fiancee (petitioner) wants us to do courthouse wedding first, couple of days before our actual wedding celebration which is planned on 4th June where the church minister will be marrying us.

I am bit worried because I am not sure if this going to help us at the time of AOS or to get the marriage certificate quickerr? or is it going to make things more difficult. Can anyone explain me how does marriage certificate/ license process work in Virginia and what is the right thing for us to do? Thanks

Sounds like you are trying to needlessly complicate things. The courthouse wedding will be a legal wedding in the eyes of the State and USCIS. What you are contemplating is in essence having two legal wedding ceremonies.

https://www.vsb.org/site/publications/marriage-in-virginia

https://theamm.org/marriage-laws/virginia/

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marriage-license/virginia/circuit-court-clerks/office-requirements.shtml

The above links were found through a simple Google search. Google can also be your friend. :yes:

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Sounds like you are trying to needlessly complicate things. The courthouse wedding will be a legal wedding in the eyes of the State and USCIS. What you are contemplating is in essence having two legal wedding ceremonies.

https://www.vsb.org/site/publications/marriage-in-virginia

https://theamm.org/marriage-laws/virginia/

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marriage-license/virginia/circuit-court-clerks/office-requirements.shtml

The above links were found through a simple Google search. Google can also be your friend. :yes:

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Hi Pitaya,

Thank you so much for replying and taking out time to search these links for me.

Good Luck to you too for your future endeavors

AOS from K-1 visa

11/15/2016: Open Service Request on USCIS as EAD/AP was beyond regulatory time frame

11/15/2016: An hour later EAD/ AP approved, Status Changed to: New Card is being produced

You will legally be married in the court house wedding. The follow up wedding will be ceremonial only. The only speed up in your AOS is your marriage certificate will be ready a bit earlier. It makes no difference what kind of wedding you have in terms of AOS, as long as it was legal.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Two same-themed threads/postings merged.~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same topic~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thanks Caryn, So now since our court house wedding is the one that is going to be used to AOS and at USCIS. I would like to know if we need to prepare evidence for this court house wedding too? like photos and getting dressed up etc?

Because we have planned everything, like party, wearing wedding dress, video, photography for 4th June (Saturday) and I think we cant use that as an evidence as we getting married at court house.

Sorry, Its all very confusing please advice what is best for us?

AOS from K-1 visa

What is the point of having 2 ceremonies? To get the marriage certificate a few days earlier? For all this stress and confusion? Seems to me like strange priorities...

In the US, civil and religious marriages can be all combined into one. You get a marriage license, then have your church wedding, then have the officiant/minister sign the marriage license that you are got married, then you send that in to the courthouse and get a civil marriage certificate. I see no need or benefit to separating these parts. Plus I think it makes your real one wedding more exciting, that you are actually getting married for real at that point.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

What is the point of having 2 ceremonies? To get the marriage certificate a few days earlier? For all this stress and confusion? Seems to me like strange priorities...

In the US, civil and religious marriages can be all combined into one. You get a marriage license, then have your church wedding, then have the officiant/minister sign the marriage license that you are got married, then you send that in to the courthouse and get a civil marriage certificate. I see no need or benefit to separating these parts. Plus I think it makes your real one wedding more exciting, that you are actually getting married for real at that point.

I think the same thing. Only reason I see for doing this is their minister is not accredited to sign the marriage license.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Sorry, The purpose of having two ceremonies is not to get the marriage certificate earlier.

My fiancee is Mennonite (very conservative stream of Christianity) and she is shunned from her church, her church was not supporting our relationship either. She has not taken a membership of any other church because she is waiting for me to come to the states first.

What she told me, there is no minister in Virginia who can marry us since she is not a member of any church. My fiancee has one uncle who is minister from Ohio and she think that he don't have authority to marry foreigner or someone in another state. I don't know the rules there and thats why came here to seek advice.

I am in a favor of having just one wedding but since we are marrying on Saturday and if this courthouse thing is necessary we may need to do that on a working day. I strongly believe that we can still have just one wedding ceremony but I am here confirm what I believe is true to convince my fiancee we don't need two different ceremonies.

AOS from K-1 visa

Sorry, The purpose of having two ceremonies is not to get the marriage certificate earlier.

My fiancee is Mennonite (very conservative stream of Christianity) and she is shunned from her church, her church was not supporting our relationship either. She has not taken a membership of any other church because she is waiting for me to come to the states first.

What she told me, there is no minister in Virginia who can marry us since she is not a member of any church. My fiancee has one uncle who is minister from Ohio and she think that he don't have authority to marry foreigner or someone in another state. I don't know the rules there and thats why came here to seek advice.

I am in a favor of having just one wedding but since we are marrying on Saturday and if this courthouse thing is necessary we may need to do that on a working day. I strongly believe that we can still have just one wedding ceremony but I am here confirm what I believe is true to convince my fiancee we don't need two different ceremonies.

It is very typical to have to be registered in the state in order to officiate a legal wedding and sign the wedding license. So this does make sense. I had a feeling something like this was happening.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

I am sure there are pastors or religious leaders who would be pleased to officiate the ceremony. I think it's time to call around.

What church are you getting married in? No one there can marry you?

I think your fiance is mistaken; I don't think she needs to be a member of a church to have a religious marriage (at least for some denominations). That sounds like something she has been told.

If you marry on Saturday, drop off the paperwork back at the relevant clerk on Monday. No problem.

Edit: Out of state ordained clergy can get permission to officiate a ceremony in VA. Have to do a little paperwork. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/20-23-out-of-state-ordained.pdf

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

I am sure there are pastors or religious leaders who would be pleased to officiate the ceremony. I think it's time to call around.

What church are you getting married in? No one there can marry you?

I think your fiance is mistaken; I don't think she needs to be a member of a church to have a religious marriage (at least for some denominations). That sounds like something she has been told.

If you marry on Saturday, drop off the paperwork back at the relevant clerk on Monday. No problem.

Edit: Out of state ordained clergy can get permission to officiate a ceremony in VA. Have to do a little paperwork. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/20-23-out-of-state-ordained.pdf

Maybe her uncle is a minister of the religion she wishes to be married under? Could be other sentimental reasons she wants her uncle of officiate also.

looks to be a 10 day wait and extra fees involved too. it might be easier to just get a judge to marry them when they get the marriage license.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Here are officiants near your area, judging from your profile. Many are ordained reverends and offer religious services to you.

https://www.weddingwire.com/shared/search?cid=9&distance_from=all&geo=aroda%2C+va&page=1&sort=1&view_type=list

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Maybe her uncle is a minister of the religion she wishes to be married under? Could be other sentimental reasons she wants her uncle of officiate also.

looks to be a 10 day wait and extra fees involved too. it might be easier to just get a judge to marry them when they get the marriage license.

Maybe. Depends on their priorities. The uncle can do the ceremony with appropriate planning if that is important to them. They could also hire another ordained person and have the uncle and the hired person do the ceremony together, getting the hired person to sign or some such thing.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

OP - take a few pictures at the courthouse - signing your marriage certificate, etc. You'll want those for sentiment anyway. Don't worry about getting dressed up for it other than looking presentable. You can have your ceremony with all the trappings on the Saturday.

For some people (and I am one of them) religion is very personal and intimate, as is any religious ceremony. I would not feel comfortable with just anyone performing my wedding ceremony, so I understand her wanting her Uncle. In this situation I think the courthouse marriage and the Saturday wedding is important for her. It would be for me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.