MrChamploo

marriage certificate question

13 posts in this topic

So we are getting ready for the process of filing for the cr1..

Her country had the option for an international certificate that is translated into a few languages.

I have an example of what it looks like here,i just want to be sure this will work. It is official and original.

12957388_1201415149871429_809104162_n_zp

As you can see English is one of the languages there.

Edited by MrChamploo

Met 6/21/15 Online

Married since February 29th 2016 In the Netherlands (Where she is from)

6/12/16 - Preparing to send packet to USCIS

6/27/16 - Sent Package to Chicago lock-box via UPS

7/5/16 - NOA1 Text/Email / sent to Potomac (Hardcopy 7/10/16)

8/3/16 - NOA 2 I-130 Approved! Case sent to NVC! (Hardcopy 8/6/16)

8/19/16 to 9/4/16 - Visited wife for two weeks in NL. =}

9/1/16 - NVC Case and invoice # received. (Email) Finished DS260 and Paid AOS Fee.

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

9/16/16 - DS260 Finished!

9/27/16 - Sent Documents to NVC.

11/21/16 - Called NVC. Case reviewed and accepted on 11/18. Waiting for email/mail.

11/28/16 - Got Email stating we are now waiting for an interview spot!

12/11/16 - Got the interview date! 1/12/17!

1/12/17 - ...ACCEPTED SHE IS NOW WAITING FOR HER PASSPORT IN THE MAIL! =]

1/18/17 - Passport and visa in her hands! We now wait till 2/24 for her to fly to me! (Has to finish work contract)

2/24/17 - She is now here with me! POE was simple,she only took 10 minutes with them checking her visa! "Welcome to America,missus"

3/15/17 - SSN Card Received.

4/10/17 - Greencard Received.

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

11/26/18 - I-751 Prepared and mailed out.

11/27/18 - UPS Confirmed Delivery at 10:30AM

12/3/18 - Checks cashed and got Email/Text With Receipt #

01/3/19 - Extension letter received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahrain
Timeline

I guess this should work as long as English is used and the names are proper.

CR1 Visa (California Service Center)

24 November 2015 ### Sent to USCIS

01 December 2015 ### NOA 1

13 March 2016 ### NOA 2

30 March 2016 ### NVC received case file

10 April 2016 ### Case number assigned

11 April 2016 ### DS-261 Submitted

12 April 2016 ### AOS fee paid

21 April 2016 ### IV fee paid

26 April 2016 ### DS-260 Submitted

15 May 2016 ### Sent AOS & IV Docs to NVC

20 May 2016 ### Documents scanned for review

20 June 2016 ### Case Completed at the NVC

21 July 2016 ### Medical + Vaccinations done

18 Aug 2016 ### Interview Scheduled (Approved)

24 Aug 2016 ### Received Passport with CR1 visa and sealed immigration packet

24 Aug 2016 ### Paid green card fees on USCIS Elis website

10 Sep 2016 ### POE - Washington Dulles Airport

12 Sep 2016 ### Went to apply Social Security Card but was told to come after 4 weeks because now they wait at least 4 weeks because of USCIS might send them notification !

07 Oct 2016 ### Went again to Social security Office and this time they took the application form and processed !

07 Oct 2016 ### Green Card Production started (Status changed in ELIS website) - Now I am pretty much sure after applying SSN green card production starts !!!

17 Oct 2016 ### Received in mail SSN and GC same day :)

============================================================

i-751 Lifting Conditions (Vermont Service Center)

12 Jun 2018 ### i-751 Packet Delivered

22 June 2018 ### Check Cashed

30 Jun 2018 ## Received NOA Letter (Extension of 18 Months)

So just an I guess huh

Met 6/21/15 Online

9/1/16 - NVC Case and invoice # received. (Email) Finished DS260 and Paid AOS Fee.

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

11/21/16 - Called NVC. Case reviewed and accepted on 11/18. Waiting for email/mail.

1/18/17 - Passport and visa in her hands! We now wait till 2/24 for her to fly to me! (Has to finish work contract)

2/24/17 - She is now here with me! POE was simple,she only took 10 minutes with them checking her visa! "Welcome to America,missus"

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

Get it notarized? If that's what the particular country offers then that's what you have. I have to believe that the processing monkeys have seen pretty much all the documents from each country a time or two. You can only provide what is available. I do know that they pay particular attention to any seals on the marriage certificates. We got an RFE because ours had a further certification that resulted in a decent sized hole through the seal.

dg71gl.jpg8xovp4.jpg

Get it notarized? If that's what the particular country offers then that's what you have. I have to believe that the processing monkeys have seen pretty much all the documents from each country a time or two. You can only provide what is available. I do know that they pay particular attention to any seals on the marriage certificates. We got an RFE because ours had a further certification that resulted in a decent sized hole through the seal.

Ours does have a seal in the corner with a signature but i can look into getting it notarized as well. I'll ask her about that one.

Met 6/21/15 Online

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Well, there's a couple of topics on VJ regarding international birth certificates that got RFEd (e.g.) and it seems it depends pretty much on how attentively the officer is reviewing the packet. I would attach a note to it explaining the obvious, i.e., something along the lines of: attached is an international marriage certificate with text in multiple languages including English and send it like that. I don't think you need to have it notarized.

P.S. The U.S. is not a party to the convention under which these are issued and there's really not that many parties to it in general so I can see how there could be adjudicators who have never seen one of these and I can definitely understand how someone who's never seen one wouldn't necessarily figure out it's also in English if just glancing at it.

Edited by rutabaga

I read absolutely no english on that page.

What exactly are you asking?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I read absolutely no english on that page.

What exactly are you asking?

Lol, that's what I'm talking about :D and the front page is even worse since the bulk of it is just French and the language of the country of issue, which I guess is Dutch in this case (here's an example of the front from an international marriage certificate issued in Italy). Anyway, the fourth statement in each section of OP's image is in English (so each grouping has the exact same phrase in Dutch, French, German, English, Spanish, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Turkish, and Serbo-Croatian, in that order) and that's the key for interpreting the actual marriage certificate data in the front (that's is the back page of the certificate).

Edited by rutabaga

Oh now I see it! Wow the English is really hidden. Still, I'm unsure what the OP is asking?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I guess yer asking if it's fine? For the USCIS just a photocopy is fine. It doesn't need any translation as long as it's the original certificate. For the interview the original should also be fine. Not every country requires a translation to English for interview.

Timeline

Yeah, I think so too, but the thing is some people who sent in these kinds of birth certificates ended up with RFEs as I guess the officer reviewing their packets also didn't know what the heck that piece of paper was as he probably also missed the English (like, the only reason I know it has English in it is that I know what it is as I've seen these kinds of marriage certificates before and have gotten these kinds of birth certificates for myself so I know where to look for English) so like I said before, I'd still attach a short statement with it stating what it is and that there's a key in English in the back essentially to avoid a potential RFE.

I guess yer asking if it's fine? For the USCIS just a photocopy is fine. It doesn't need any translation as long as it's the original certificate. For the interview the original should also be fine. Not every country requires a translation to English for interview.

So the uscis does not need originals photocopies are good when I send to them?

I just asking if I needed mine translated,I was not sure because it had English on it. Wanted to make sure they would accept it

Edited by MrChamploo

Met 6/21/15 Online

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

No the USCIS does not need originals. Everything up until the interview will be photocopies.

Edited by NLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.