Ayla_b628

US military and visa process (merged threads)

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Please forgive me as I'm learning. The 1-129 is $340?

Yes and on that form you would list all your children, regardless of age and immigration intent.

Then once approved I apply for the ds-160? For me and my son?

Yes, it is in this form that you list which of your children you want to receive a K-2 and whether they Will Follow (come with you) or To Join (come later within a year of your K-1 issue date).

I couldn't find the pricing.

There is no cost for the DS-160 online form. Both you and your child will have to have their own medical (paying for each) and pay for each for the visa cost. Check the Embassy website for those costs.

Then once I'm over there with my son and I marry I'd apply for AOS for both of us?

Yes and when you file your child's AOS forms along with yours, there is a reduced rate for the child. See the 485 form instructions for those costs.

Which I can't find the pricing on either. I did see a comparison chart on this site and it said k-1 said and done is $1700? Is that true. Would it be right to assume another $1700 for my son?

No, see above.

I can't seem to find the pricing. Would it be more money conscious to do cr-1 visa?

The K-1 is a bit more costly but the CR-1 takes longer.

Yes we could marry in Canada. What then would I be doing form wise for me AND my son? Length of time and pricing. Sorry it's just so confusing.

Follow the Guides for the CR-1 visa and forms and costs (form the form instructions).

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

OP is Canadian. Visiting is generally pretty easy and no visitor visa is needed. Obviously a tourist visa will be denied when a person shows immigrant intent but Canadians and VWP countries usually have no issues visiting the USA during the process.

Immigration lawyers are only helpful if you dont have time for forms, cannot understand the forms, or have some sort of complicated issue like prior arrests, etc... People on the board have successfully talked to their own congressmen and senators without a lawyer. I'm glad for you it worked out. Must have been a great lawyer since most here complain about theirs! For most on the board, including myself, a lawyer is a complete waste of money.

Deployment is a good cause for an expeditd however and is usually granted.

Im sure we've given the OP something to think about so let's see their reponse.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you to you both. THIS is exactly what I was looking for out of an answer. I appreciate both of your time and detail in each answer. I feel like CR-1 probably makes more sense since everything would be done by them time I could go there. It would give me the ability to work in my own country and save, then transition to America and start working and having my son in school soon after.

Also, QC is only 4 hours away so that's no big deal at all for me. During the process my SO can visit me if anything. How long approx does each process take? Just roughly.

I Love You Baby, Always & Forever

About 1 year. 4-6 months at USCIS. 2-4 at NVC. Another 2 at consulate.

Medicals are about $250-300. Police certificate provided you've never been convicted of a crime is about $50.

Yes the USC csn visit Canada and vice versa.

QC,not Quebec City. Montréal, Quebec. Just to clarify.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

About 1 year. 4-6 months at USCIS. 2-4 at NVC. Another 2 at consulate.

Medicals are about $250-300. Police certificate provided you've never been convicted of a crime is about $50.

Yes the USC csn visit Canada and vice versa.

QC,not Quebec City. Montréal, Quebec. Just to clarify.

1 year approx for cr-1 for me and my son.

Meanwhile we can visit each other. Safe to say to save between 2500-3000 for immigration then.

Thank you so much! That makes life so much easier and less complicated then some people had made it on this site.

Yup i did all the paperwork etc myself. Even for my ROC. Will do the N400 too.

Oh an my husband was military too.

Timeline

Yup i did all the paperwork etc myself. Even for my ROC. Will do the N400 too.

Oh an my husband was military too.

I will end up doing the paperwork myself as well. The paperwork is straight forward it was more so WHAT paperwork do I need. Fees, timing and all that I was having difficulty understanding.

Thank you once again!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Two Similar/same-themed threads merged~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same topic~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

~Two Similar/same-themed threads merged~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same topic~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Sorry about that. Please don't delete this. I need it to look back on.

Sorry about that. Please don't delete this. I need it to look back on.

They don't.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

NLR--please be careful about saying VWP countries are no issue--my husband is from a VWP country and they still said no. It truly is up to each embassy. If you are giving a Canada perspective only, then I believe you are likely correct...we are not processing from Canada, we are processing form Europe. In that case you most certainly hold the bulk of expertise from the country perspective :).

NLR--please be careful about saying VWP countries are no issue--my husband is from a VWP country and they still said no. It truly is up to each embassy. If you are giving a Canada perspective only, then I believe you are likely correct...we are not processing from Canada, we are processing form Europe. In that case you most certainly hold the bulk of expertise from the country perspective :).

• 3 weeks later...

1 year approx for cr-1 for me and my son.

Meanwhile we can visit each other. Safe to say to save between 2500-3000 for immigration then.

Thank you so much! That makes life so much easier and less complicated then some people had made it on this site.

You can definitely visit. We started CR1 in Europe and my husband got orders to leave to US, we provided copy of the orders and our I130 was expedited and approved in less than 2 months. I came visit on Esta and had no problem at all. I even called embassy in Czech and they told me I can visit, but of course they can deny entry, but thats for everybody, everybody can be denied entry. If you dont have any red flag in your case, its super easy without lawyer. But you can have your husband to check in where he is stationed, they have uscis services, here at Fort Bliss once a week they have uscis officer and they help to fill all the paperwork and answer all questions and help with the process. Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.