Axle314

Marriage Certificate for AOS & AP

7 posts in this topic

Hello!

My wife and I are trying to attend a milestone birthday for her grandmother's 90th birthday in a few months, AFTER we get married. We did the math, assuming it'll take about 90 days to get AOS & AP done, we have basically 12 days to get married AND submit AOS Paperwork.

Question is on the Marriage Certificate. We are thinking of getting married either in Los Angeles ( 6-8 weeks?! ) or Orange County ( 10 business days!)

If we got married, TOOK the Marriage License to the County Recorder, can we get a copy ( with official stamp / seal) of the marriage certificate on the spot, if we wait in line, etc. etc.

We basically want to shotgun the paperwork right away, because we realized that the timing is really too close!

Does it have to be a certified copy after the County records it?

Anyone with experience on this matter, particularly in Los Angeles / Orange County in California would be greatly appreciated to speak on the matter!

It needs to be a certified copy.

Given your timeline, I wouldn't get your hopes up about making that trip.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello!

My wife and I are trying to attend a milestone birthday for her grandmother's 90th birthday in a few months, AFTER we get married. We did the math, assuming it'll take about 90 days to get AOS & AP done, we have basically 12 days to get married AND submit AOS Paperwork.

Once you enter the US, you have to get married within 90 days. There is no time requirement within which to AOS.

Question is on the Marriage Certificate. We are thinking of getting married either in Los Angeles ( 6-8 weeks?! ) or Orange County ( 10 business days!)

If we got married,

To get married you need a Marriage License, which is issued by the County Clerk. In Will County that took one week.

TOOK the Marriage License to the County Recorder, can we get a copy ( with official stamp / seal) of the marriage certificate on the spot, if we wait in line, etc. etc.

No. We got married by the county judge who took the marriage license and then processed it. We had to pay the fee for however number of copies of the certified Marriage Certificate at the Courthouse, following the marriage.

Took about another two weeks to receive those (get multiple copies).

We basically want to shotgun the paperwork right away,

Why?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Go to vegas for the weekend? Even in Colorado you can marry yourselves.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We had the same issue and spent a LOT of time calling around to various licencing offices to see if we could get the thing any sooner. When you make the calls, don't just ask "how long does it take?". Ask if there's any way to get it on the same day. If they say no, ask if they're sure, or ask to speak to a supervisor. (It's worth remembering that not everbody who works in a gov't office knows all the protocol. Sometimes you have to be pushy). In the end, we used the office in Lompoc, CA, in Santa Barbara County about 2 1/2 hours north of LA. I POE'd on a Friday, we were there when the office opened on the following Monday morning to get the licence, married by 10:30 am, paperwork back to the office by 11, and marriage certificate in hand by the end of the day. I've written about this subject before on here, and I think I remember someone saying you could also get same-day service in San Diego, or somewhere near there. PM me if you want more details.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.