Harry_Pluxen

F1-->H1B or TN or EB2

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Also not specifically dual intent.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also not specifically dual intent.

i dont understand what you mean.. haha but my friend has a TN status and considers herself a snowbird.. 8 months in USA and 4 months in canada.. i was just wondering how she could get her GC from her employer? she is a nurse.

Unlike an H1B you cannot get a green card because you have TN status. It's not dual intent in that way. But if you have a viable way of adjusting your status otherwise, say being sponsored into another visa category, like marriage, or work based, then you can go to the green card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_intent

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

An Employer can sponsor a TN employee for GC.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Unlike an H1B you cannot get a green card because you have TN status. It's not dual intent in that way. But if you have a viable way of adjusting your status otherwise, say being sponsored into another visa category, like marriage, or work based, then you can go to the green card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_intent

right.. so then my friend on a TN as a nurse, her company would have to get her on an H1B first and then GC? or could she go tn->gc?

or of course marriage from TN?

Timeline

Most people who adjust in country do so from non immigrant visa's that are not specifically dual intent.

right.. so then my friend on a TN as a nurse, her company would have to get her on an H1B first and then GC? or could she go tn->gc?

or of course marriage from TN?

I was using h1b as an example. Not as a method your friend would/could use.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I was using h1b as an example. Not as a method your friend would/could use.

oh.. i was wondering bc we had a debate and she said her work said they would sponsor her (this was her last company 5yrs ago) and i said, well then they would need to get you on the H1B first so they can do that.. and she didnt understand.. but i am certain you need to go from TN to either marriage or an H1B or another type of Visa! and i dont think her work would do that.. tons of nurses come on TN bc its cheap and easy to get for canadians, so why would they invest in the H1B? i think employers get confused and just think that no matter what visa you are on they all can get a GC.

Timeline

H1b's are of limited duration, TN is not so no rush or really need.

There's really little need to get a green card when you can keep renewing your TN status to enjoy employment down here if that's what you seek. It's just more money and more hassle.

Timeline

There's really little need to get a green card when you can keep renewing your TN status to enjoy employment down here if that's what you seek. It's just more money and more hassle.

thanks for the input!!

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a risk of rejection eventually of the TN visa if you keep renewing at the same location/job over and over. The officer can rule that it's not a temporary job if the non-immigrant employee is spending 6+ years there. It's different if you are changing jobs/locations on a semi regular basis then it's less of an issue.

If you wish to reside in the US, I'd recommend getting a green card and not relaying on a TN renewal.

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.