seigweilo

Aged/Senior Family-Based Visa Migrants

6 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My parents, both retirement age, are very close to moving to CA through the F4 visa route. My mum's sister and her husband have sponsored my parents and have signed an affidavit of support. They've been waiting 20+ years for this and now it has been approved, just awaiting for interview (I think)

They have agreed to let them live in their place temporarily. My question is, if they have to wait 5 years to get SSI and other government aid, how can they support themselves if they cannot work because of health reasons. Would they have to solely rely on their sponsors until they get their citizenship? I've checked several government websites and for some reason, the answers are not always definite and concrete. Phrases like, "generally they are eligible... but if they have a sponsor, no..." just made the whole research end with road block.

Hopefully someone can clarify how aged non citizen migrants are coping with life there in the US.

Cheers,

Sei

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Why would they want to move over if they can't support themselves here? Did they actually think they could just move over and be taken care of?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Timeline

Well that's the thing, they are a little bit half-hearted about it because they are living comfortable already. No one was really expecting the visa to arrive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If they never work in the US they will never get and social security benefits. That system is based on monies that you pay into it while you work. No work credits no benefits. ( non working spouses get their based on their working spouses records ) They can pay for medicare part A after 5 years here everyone pays for the other parts. Part A will cost them over 400 a month each. Until then have to pay for their own insurance

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Well I'll just be blunt to my aunt to cancel the application then. My parents have done their end in working when they were young and already enjoying their pension and I don't see a reason why we should disrupt that just to go to the states.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.