rob_h

Approximate time between NOA2 & receiving case number? (Spouse Visa)

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

We're currently in process for a spouse visa, the petition was filed August 4, 2015 (NOA1) and our classification is "201(b) - Spouse". We filed with London USCIS.

I received the "Notice of Approval of Relative Immigrant Visa Petition" on October 3rd 2015 which I believe is NOA2.

The letter mentioned "In 5 to 8 weeks you should receive a letter from the U.S Consulate - Immigrant Visa Unit" and "If the beneficiary does not receive a Case Number within 8 weeks, the beneficiary will need to contact the U.S Consulate - Immigrant Visa Unit".

It's now 13 weeks and I (the beneficiary) still haven't heard anything, has/is anyone experiencing anything similar? It seems to be taking an extremely long time.

I've contacted USCIS and again this correspondence is extremely slow, it initially took them 3 days to respond, I replied within the hour and again they take days to respond and usually with something that looks like a script (e.g. non-specific to our situation).

If I've not made anything clear, I can clarify. Any advice and info greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

After USCIS approves the case it goes to NVC and USCIS has no information

try email to NVCinquiry@state.gov

they have your case now and they will assign a new number starting with embassy initials

best of luck to you

Thank you I've dropped them an email, the whole visa process is woefully outdated and inefficient it needs to be online but I guess immigration must be very far down the order of investment for Government.

It's incredibly frustrating our case is so simple.

Rob

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Thank you I've dropped them an email, the whole visa process is woefully outdated and inefficient it needs to be online but I guess immigration must be very far down the order of investment for Government.

It's incredibly frustrating our case is so simple.

Rob

You filed DCF in London. Your case does not go through the NVC for processing. You can change your "filed for" in your profile to "IR1/CR1 (DCF)" to avoid getting answers that your case is at NVC. And you can post your questions in the Direct Consular Filing forum here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/82-direct-consular-filing-dcf-general-discussion/ (I see your post got moved while I was typing)

The USCIS office in London and the London Immigrant Visa Unit are very separate divisions of the government and USCIS can't help you with the IVU. You should contact them via this contact form http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/visa_contact_form.html

I would choose as the reason for contact -- " My inquiry concerns immigrant visas and is not covered by information on your website" because I think they tend to put off those saying they are checking on their status.

You are correct that you are way past normal time to be processing at the IV unit. Perhaps you didn't get the letter and they are waiting on you to submit your DS-260, which is what I would do today. Your instructions if you haven't seen them http://london.usembassy.gov/iv/iv_application_instructions.html

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks very much for that Nick I've edited my profile to DCF. Also in regards to the DS-260 form I've followed the instructions link (thanks for that). Step 1 mentions DS-260 form found here and also says:

"You should enter your immigrant visa case number and, in place of an invoice number, your date of birth in the following format YYYYMMDD"

Unfortunately I don't have a "case number" yet, I think this is the next step/what I'm waiting for (I'm a complete newbie at this so there's a big chance I'm incorrect on that statement).

What do you think?

Rob

Thanks very much for that Nick I've edited my profile to DCF. Also in regards to the DS-260 form I've followed the instructions link (thanks for that). Step 1 mentions DS-260 form found here and also says:

"You should enter your immigrant visa case number and, in place of an invoice number, your date of birth in the following format YYYYMMDD"

Unfortunately I don't have a "case number" yet, I think this is the next step/what I'm waiting for (I'm a complete newbie at this so there's a big chance I'm incorrect on that statement).

What do you think?

Rob

I am not super expert on how you get that number so read this London DCF Wiki one of our members wrote. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/DCF_London

Sounds like you will need to contact the IV unit with the contact form link I gave you and tell them you have been waiting x number of weeks for your case number after USCIS London office sent your case to them on Oct 3. (They probably didn't send it that fast but say it anyway for effect.). Tell them you need your case number to proceed with the DS-260.

Meanwhile, sort your required shots and get you police certificate IMMEDIATELY if you haven't. And there is a chance NVC might reply if you asked them for your case number. The NVC and the embassy are both part of the Dept of State and so can see the same things on their computer network. The USCIS is part of Homeland Security and is not privy to Dept of State info, so once they pass your case over to the IV Unit, they don't know anything further to help.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.