MASH

Citizen of 3 countries?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone ,

I know this may sound like a dumb question but I am curious if it is possible

My story is I was born in Iran and moved to Canada when I was 1 years old (never got a passport for Iran) , I got my full Canadian citizenship when I was 5 and now I am planning to live in the US to be with my fiancé :)

I know I have a long way to go to get my citizenship for the US but my worry is I might lose my Canadian citizen which I don't want that to happen as I love being Canadian and me and my fiancé might end up living there one day and I wanna bring him to be Canadian and if I can't do that if I am longer a citizen of Canada

So all in all my question is if I get my US citizenship will I lose my Canadian citizenship ?

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

getting US visa does not mean ur going to be US citizen right away after your visa will approved you will get Green Card not US citizenship you can live in US as legally permenant residence as long as you want... its up to u eith you apply for US citizenship or not.... answer to your question Canada allow dual citizenship so you are good for both...

Timeline

No, you will not. Canadians are allowed to take foreign citizenship while keeping their Canadian citizenship. The U.S. has also no restrictions.

Oh so even though I was born in Iran I can become a citizen of Iran,Canada and US ? All 3

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Oh so even though I was born in Iran I can become a citizen of Iran,Canada and US ? All 3

you was born in Iran so better you check with your consulate about 3 citizenships

You might want to reach out to the Iranian consulate to verify their rules around multiple citizenships but my understanding is that Iran does not recognize dual citizenship. My guess is that you probably lost your Iranian citizenship when you became a Canadian citizen unless you sought and was provided with special permission by the Iranian government to retain your Iranian citizenship.

Edited by NexGen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello Everyone ,

I know this may sound like a dumb question but I am curious if it is possible

My story is I was born in Iran and moved to Canada when I was 1 years old (never got a passport for Iran) , I got my full Canadian citizenship when I was 5 and now I am planning to live in the US to be with my fiancé :)

I know I have a long way to go to get my citizenship for the US but my worry is I might lose my Canadian citizen which I don't want that to happen as I love being Canadian and me and my fiancé might end up living there one day and I wanna bring him to be Canadian and if I can't do that if I am longer a citizen of Canada

So all in all my question is if I get my US citizenship will I lose my Canadian citizenship ?

You might want to reach out to the Iranian consulate to verify their rules around multiple citizenships but my understanding is that Iran does not recognize dual citizenship. My guess is that you probably lost your Iranian citizenship when you became a Canadian citizen unless you sought and was provided with special permission by the Iranian government to retain your Iranian citizenship.

I agree with NexGen and the other responders... you won't have any trouble with Canada or the US, but you need to check Iranian law... you may lose your Iranian citizenship once you become a US citizen, or you may have already lost Iranian citizenship when you became a Canadian. Some countries allow dual citizenship and others don't. Some allow dual citizenship and just ignore your second citizenship, but other countries will take away your original citizenship.

It's not very clear, but if you read the information on the State Department website (below), it looks like Iran won't take away your Iranian citizenship, but will ignore your Canadian and American citizenship... this means that if you go to Iran, they will consider you an Iranian only and will refuse to recognize your other passports.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/iran-travel-warning.html

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Out of curiosity, how did you leave Iran at age one without an Iranian passport?

Feel. The. Bern.

Timeline

Out of curiosity, how did you leave Iran at age one without an Iranian passport?

Since i was a baby they only showed my BC and other things I never full asked my rents to know

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seem to recollect that when I first went abroad I was on my Mothers Passport.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Since i was a baby they only showed my BC and other things I never full asked my rents to know

Probably on your parent's passport like boiler said.

And just so you know, when you acquire your American passport, you must enter the US with it and same for Canadian passport into Canada. I believe it's the law in both countries so you'll probably carry multiple passports when traveling.

Good luck and congrats on your wedding.

Feel. The. Bern.

Source? Many Canadian citizens enter Canada with their US passport all the time.

That may be possible. I know I read it somewhere before so I tracked it down here. I needed to know for my own purposes.

Dual Citizens

If you are a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen you should always present yourself as a Canadian citizen when entering Canada and as a U.S. citizen when entering the United States. For more information, please visit our page on dual citizenship.

It may not be law in Canada but it certainly is in the US.

Feel. The. Bern.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.