goobies

Living in Uganda for 4 years without employment or filing taxes

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Greetings all!

I have been living and volunteering in Uganda for the past 4 years, getting only what is called an allowance, which has been just enough to get by on.

Therefore, I have not filed taxes since 2011.

My fiance and I have been living together here for almost a full year, so we totally meet and surpass the face-to-face requirements, we have more than enough photos together, he is a CISCO Certified Network Associate and is still studying to become a CCNP, so he will be more than enough able to support himself once in the US.

Our only worry is that my financial situation is not good. However, my mother has agreed to help co-sponsor him.

So my question is will the fact that I have not filed taxes and haven't been "working" affect our ability to get a K-1 visa approved?

Extra info :(I will be returning to the US soon to go back to school and work)

Greetings all!

I have been living and volunteering in Uganda for the past 4 years, getting only what is called an allowance, which has been just enough to get by on.

Therefore, I have not filed taxes since 2011.

My fiance and I have been living together here for almost a full year, so we totally meet and surpass the face-to-face requirements, we have more than enough photos together, he is a CISCO Certified Network Associate and is still studying to become a CCNP, so he will be more than enough able to support himself once in the US.

Our only worry is that my financial situation is not good. However, my mother has agreed to help co-sponsor him.

So my question is will the fact that I have not filed taxes and haven't been "working" affect our ability to get a K-1 visa approved?

Extra info :(I will be returning to the US soon to go back to school and work)

The USCIS wants to see that you as a USC are complying with the laws of the US and are reporting your world wide income to the IRS and that you do not owe any back taxes. You have two options in your case. 1) file back tax returns to show your lack of income so you have something to show the USCIS, or 2) write a statement that explains your were not REQUIRED to file and income tax return for those years and prove that you fall under the IRS' rules for not being REQUIRED to file a tax return. Unless you show proof that you were not REQUIRED to file a tax return, the USCIS will issue an RFE for your tax returns which you do not have. This has been the case many times here on VJ where the petitioner did not make any money and therefore did not file a tax return and stated that they were not REQUIRED to do so, but the USCIS still send an RFE for tax return.

As the petitioner you need to provide at least the current year's tax return or why you were not REQUIRED to file a return. I myself would complete a tax return for 2014 or 2015 if you file the I-129f after April 15th and then submit an IRS transcript of the tax return so the USCIS is satisfied and you avoid an RFE. YMMV.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

With a well qualified co-sponsor, you should be fine.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You could call/ email them, but will likely get a vague answer.

I would use the Search function of this website to find others from your country and see if they have any experience. Posting to specifically ask about co=sponsors in the Africa regional subforum may also help.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.