chrisepic

Only 4 days of meeting physically!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

So I started communicting with my fiancee via email in July. On September 6th 2006 she agreed to court me or be my girlfriend. We started communicating by phone (I've spent anywhere from $200 to $400 a month in calling card expenses!). We fell in love to say the least. I was able to meet her in Feb 2007. On the third day after spending time with her and her family and getting along with everyone, I got her parents' blessing to propose to her, and I proposed to her. But again, we've only had 4 days actual contact in person. I plan to spend three weeks with her in July. I want to start the K-1 process now, though. Should I go through it even though we havent spent more than 4 days in person together, I mean, for the sake of the application. Or, should I be okay b the Embassy's standards given that the interview with her would be after we see each other again in July?

On the I-129 petition, our circumstances of meeting, aside from the non-physical contact over the past 8 months, will only be 4 days of physical contact. Is that grounds for dismissal of the petition, or do you think it will go through and the interview will be another story?

post-32284-1173398955_thumb.jpg

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

So I started communicting with my fiancee via email in July. On September 6th 2006 she agreed to court me or be my girlfriend. We started communicating by phone (I've spent anywhere from $200 to $400 a month in calling card expenses!). We fell in love to say the least. I was able to meet her in Feb 2007. On the third day after spending time with her and her family and getting along with everyone, I got her parents' blessing to propose to her, and I proposed to her. But again, we've only had 4 days actual contact in person. I plan to spend three weeks with her in July. I want to start the K-1 process now, though. Should I go through it even though we havent spent more than 4 days in person together, I mean, for the sake of the application. Or, should I be okay b the Embassy's standards given that the interview with her would be after we see each other again in July?

On the I-129 petition, our circumstances of meeting, aside from the non-physical contact over the past 8 months, will only be 4 days of physical contact. Is that grounds for dismissal of the petition, or do you think it will go through and the interview will be another story?

Did you take pictures during the 4 days?

You have fulfilled the requirement to meet within the last two years. As long as you have all your other evidence providing bona fide relationship it will not be a problem.

FYI - me and my now husband had only been together for 5 days during one visit he made to see me when our K1 was issued so I can say that in our case it had no effect whatsoever on the process, because we had all our other evidence.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Maybe some kind of statement explaining the time,...work, family, etc. reason for the short time, but you did meet, thats all required i believe.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You might look into communicating through computers. You would probably save money over the long haul and you could see each other as well. I'm glad I started the K-1 sooner rather than later. Its a long wait

14 July 06... Met online

19 Sept 06... Traveled to Shenzhen, China

10 Oct 06... Filed I-129F

17 Oct 06... NOA1

19 Dec 06... Traveled to Thailand together

20 Jan 07.... NOA2

I think you should be fine for the petition.

For the interview, make sure you collect as much evidence as you can between now and the interview. The petition is not likely to be denied because you didnt meet each other for more than 4 days. But you might run into issues in the interview if thats all of the contact you have had. But if your filing now, you most likely wont get the interview until after July. In which case you can supplement the eveidence with more pictures from your next meeting.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

WOW, only 96 hours together. Well, you will meet the filing of the K-1 petition requirement of having met in the past 2 years. That may get you past USCIS. But you might have a heck of a time convincing the Consulate that your relationship is for all the right reasons with only 96 hours shared together. You will need to prove that your relationship is true and valid. The Consulate is the judge and the jury and they can be harsh.

Your telephone bills will prove there is communication happening for the past 6 months, but not necessarily a bonafide relationship. The Consulate will question if you even know each other well enough to be together as a married couple. Photos will prove that you have been together. But again, that 96 hours of shared time together will be a red flag to the Consulate. The Consulate would probably even question the truthfulness of a statement written from her family stating they gave you the "OK" to marry their daughter after only seeing each other for 4 days.

My opinion, I'd say you're going up hill on this one. But you never know. You'll have to proceed with your gut feeling on this one. And from your post, I believe that you have some serious doubts too.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

You might look into communicating through computers. You would probably save money over the long haul and you could see each other as well. I'm glad I started the K-1 sooner rather than later. Its a long wait

Phone calls and calling cards get very expensive. There are other ways to talk if you both have access to DSL or better internet connection. Most IM clients have a voice feature. Some clients like Skype and Yahoo allow you to call landlines anywhere in the world at a pretty good rate.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, YahooVoice charges .15/min which is about the same as the calling card. We also do the webcam/headset/internet thing, but thats once a week, and I am very attached to talking to her everyday- even though I keep telling her and myself "I have to cut back on the phone calls to save for our future!" but, can you ay impulsive? hehehe

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

Ah, yeah, it looks like the best rates from most services is about 15 cents per minute. I did find a calling card at 8.9 cents per minute with 4 minute billing increments, which is fine if you mostly have long phone calls.

http://www.nobelcom.com/nobelcom/jsp/produ...p;x=96&y=17

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Timeline

C'mon people. This is Manila.

You probably have enough evidence to file the I129F and win an approval. Which most any warm body who can fill out forms correctly can accomplish.

You probably don't have a great case for your interview.

Spend a bit more time reading about interviews in the Fils and then you decide. If you really want this to happen, you may want to invest a bit more time on the front end.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that at the interview it will be necessary to prove a relationship. Phone bills are one of the things they use for that purpose and real bills will have more credibility than phone cards but phone cards do have some value.

There have been lots of K-1's issued on a meeting of 5 days so you are not in uncharted waters.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Dont know how much you've already done, but send love letters and e-mails. Make sure to keep the envelope to prove the date it was sent. You can cross out the naughty bits :) Phone records show contact, these show the feelings involved. If nothing else, you'll have an excellent collection to look back at in 10 years and get warm fuzzies hehe!

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.