mmarlo

Paying the Brideprice

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I forgot one thing that I think is funny. There are certain "penalties" where you'll have to pay extra--if you're already living together, if you've already had a "taste", so to speak, etc. We went with the quick and dirty negotiations to avoid having to discuss those little details. :-)

very wise indeed ! ;)

Myself and my fiancee are from Nigeria and you don't wanna know the list of things am going to present to my in-laws when we go for the traditional wedding....PHEW! All in all she means a lot to me more than money can ever buy. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

yes we do :D:D:D

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
out with it ;)

Lol....whao! Well it's about 8 pages worth of A4 papers with a list of things to buy for the dad's family, mom's family and for the only surviving granny. It all runs to almost 3000 pounds and that's not the party itself where we have to entertain people...oh well a man's got to do what he's got to do. Well ave sent it home to my folks in Nigeria, so they can start working on it. I don't think we can ever get rid of that tradition, no matter how we try. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I am the American Girl, and he is the Cameroonian Guy... His parents actually came here and met my parents. They asked me if they needed to bring a gift or anything, and i told them no... them coming all the way over here and paying for plane tickets and all was enough... haha.. but they did tell me that I would be worth many many cows and goats, and they would have had a hard time bargaining for me in Africa.. lol... My dad hates goats! So they just told them "sorry, we wanted to bring you many goats, but they wouldn't allow them on the plane" :-)

04/16/2007 - I-129F Mailed to TSC

04/24/2007 - Official NOA1 Date

08/10/2007 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/17/2007 - INTERVIEW (PUT IN AP)

02/18/2008 - VISA ARRIVED IN MAIL!!

02/28/2008 - Arrives in the U.S.A!!!

03/15/2008 - Wedding Day!!

04/10/2008 - AOS Package Mailed (almost 1 year to the date later)

04/11/2008 - Received in Chicago

04/17/2008 - Check cashed

04/19/2008 - 3 NOAs received!

05/09/2008 - Biometrics Appt in SATX

05/14/2008 - Case transfered to CSC

06/11/2008 - EAD & AP Approved CRIS email

06/17/2008 - AP received in mail

06/21/2008 - EAD received in mail

01/21/2009 - FINALLY AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

It appears that in our case, we're going to have a wedding party at Christmas this year with her family in Kenya. It should be a lot of fun, and I hope this allows us to incorporate a bit more of her tradition, as opposed to just making a cash payment.

APR 25, 2006 ARRIVE IN KENYA FOR PH.D. DISSERTATION RESEARCH

JUL 07, 2006 MEET AT CHECK-INN CLUB IN BUSIA, KENYA

SEPT 25, 2006 RETURN TO US

OCT 18, 2006 I129F SUBMITTED

OCT 24, 2006 NOA1 I129F

OCT 24, 2006 BACK TO KENYA

NOV 18, 2006 PROPOSED IN MOMBASA, KENYA (SHE SAID "YES"!)

DEC 26, 2006 NOA2 I129F

DEC 27, 2006 RETURN FROM KENYA

JANUARY, 2006 NVC CAN'T LOCATE PETITION

FEB 14, 2007 LETTERS SENT TO CONGRESSMEN

FEB 15, 2007 CIS CUSTOMER SERVICE SENDS EMAIL TO CSC REQUESTING TRACE ON MY PETITION (SHOULD HEAR BACK W/IN 45 DAYS)

FEB 19, 2007 APPROVED PETITION TOUCHED

FEB 21, 2007 EMAIL FROM CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE SAYING PETITION HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED BY NVC

FEB 23, 2007 PETITION SENT TO US EMBASSY IN NAIROBI, KENYA

MAR 5, 2007 PICKED UP PACKET 3/4 FROM EMBASSY

MAR 26, 2007 RETURNED PACKET 3 TO EMBASSY

APR 12, 2007 RETURNED MEDICAL EXAM RESULTS TO EMBASSY, HAD INTERVIEW, AND WAS APPROVED!

APR 26, 2007 PICKED-UP VISA FROM EMBASSY

APR 28-29, 2007 NAIROBI-ZURICH-CHICAGO-DETROIT-ANN ARBOR

JUL 3, 2007 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

JUL 30, 2007 MAIL AOS, EAD, AP APPLICATIONS

SEPT 8, 2007 CHECK CASHED

OCT 24, 2007 AP APPROVED

NOV 5, 2007 EAD APPROVED

NOV 6, 2007 EAD IN MAIL

JAN 22, 2008 INTERVIEW -- APPROVED!

Jacinta is a conditional permanent resident alien!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well I wouldn't classify it as "pay cash to her family"...it's our tradition and that shows that you appreciate the fact that they have brought up their daughter up so well that you consider having her as wife. I don't care how much I pay in terms on bride price 'cos she is priceless in terms of money and material things... and yes traditions are different. The whole process is exciting and am looking fwd to mine in September :dance::dance::dance::dance:

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.