JJT13

Letter of Permission/Consent from Biological Mother allowing her child to Immigrate

20 posts in this topic

Hello all !!

I am bringing my two stepchildren who are 9 and 8, to come live to the US with their father and I. They are currently living with the grandmother in Dominican Rep who is their mothers, mom. My husbands ex gave the mom consent to be the guardian since she lives in Canada now. I need advice on whether I need to bring a consent letter to my interview signed by the mother or the grandmother, granting me permission to bring the children to live in the US with their father and me. They're interview is on Dec 21st.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, it basically depends on the embassy. Some ask for it and some do not. In my case, I sent the consent and travel authorization for my daughter (CR2) during the NVC phase. However, I heard of people who didn't send anything at all and the kids were approved regardless in my embassy.

If you can get a letter of consent easily, go for it and bring it to the interview.

But the fact that the NVC has not asked for it is good indication - you probably will not need it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You will definitely need some kind of written consent. If the grandmother is the one who is the legal guardian she will have to do it.

You will definitely need some kind of written consent. If the grandmother is the one who is the legal guardian she will have to do it.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Not necessarily true; this is embassy specific. We had a similar situation in 2014 and the embassy asked for nothing. Although we did get a letter from the mother, but the CO never asked for it, nor did they ask at POE, which surprised me as well.

Timeline

Not necessarily true; this is embassy specific. We had a similar situation in 2014 and the embassy asked for nothing. Although we did get a letter from the mother, but the CO never asked for it, nor did they ask at POE, which surprised me as well.

Absolutely.

I have seen some 4 cases of people this year who didn't had to provide anything. I also saw one case of a person who had to provide a letter at the interview, but the communication was made at the NVC phase before the interview - it was one of the required items at the P4 letter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So you guys are saying that some embassies allow people to take kids they don't have legal right to to th US? That right there could be international kidnapping! Who would have known...

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Timeline

I think in most cases, what happens is that the country of departure makes the control. For example, I am not able to leave Brazil with my daughter unless her biological father gives me a notarized authorization to do so.

The control in the airport is extremely strict - even when I tried to leave my country with my daughter's German passport, they still realized she was the daughter of a Brazilian and we missed our flight because we didn't have his official authorization (I was still married to her father back then).

My impression is that the US relies on that, even though in the NVC phase they sometimes require the consent letter for some of the embassies. I decided to front load my petition because I already had all the documents ready from my divorce.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The US embassies must follow local laws.

In certain countries, the father has no rights when a child is born out-of-wedlock. Here, the US Embassy follows local laws and does not require the father's consent for the child to immigrate to the US.

This is the exception to the requirement for the non-immigrant parent's consent. Local laws.

Understand why some cases require consent and others don't. Don't just post generalization like that it's not always required without an explanation.

Timeline

The US embassies must follow local laws.

In certain countries, the father has no rights when a child is born out-of-wedlock. Here, the US Embassy follows local laws and does not require the father's consent for the child to immigrate to the US.

This is the exception to the requirement for the non-immigrant parent's consent. Local laws.

Understand why some cases require consent and others don't. Don't just post generalization like that it's not always required without an explanation.

The law in Brazil requires a very strict notarized authorization and yet the US embassy here did not ask me for anything. I know of two other mothers applying with kids who got approved this year in Rio too without having to show any document. I could give other examples of members this year in other embassies but I wlll not bother.

What I am saying is that IF you need to present a document regarding legal consent for kids, you will probably be informed at the NVC phase.

The NVC process has changed significantly this year - I would suggest you get informed with what is going right now.

Hello all !!

I am bringing my two stepchildren who are 9 and 8, to come live to the US with their father and I. They are currently living with the grandmother in Dominican Rep who is their mothers, mom. My husbands ex gave the mom consent to be the guardian since she lives in Canada now. I need advice on whether I need to bring a consent letter to my interview signed by the mother or the grandmother, granting me permission to bring the children to live in the US with their father and me. They're interview is on Dec 21st.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi, JJT, YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE ANY CONSENT LETTER TO THE INTERVIEW. You'll need that only at the airport. ( I had the same situation with my daughter and they did not asked for her father consent at the interview).

Hello all !!

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi, I brought my stepdaughter from the Dominican Republic early on September. We had all of the necessary documents regarding legal guardianship of her at the time of interview, but they didn't even bother to ask for it. But when they were leaving the country, IT WAS A REALLY BIG DEAL.. Make sure to have those court papers because the Dominican authorities are the ones that really need to see them.

So you guys are saying that some embassies allow people to take kids they don't have legal right to to th US? That right there could be international kidnapping! Who would have known...

That's why I find it odd that I wouldn't need one. They aren't my kids. I am going to bring one just to be safe, especially for when I leave the country with them.

Hi, I brought my stepdaughter from the Dominican Republic early on September. We had all of the necessary documents regarding legal guardianship of her at the time of interview, but they didn't even bother to ask for it. But when they were leaving the country, IT WAS A REALLY BIG DEAL.. Make sure to have those court papers because the Dominican authorities are the ones that really need to see them.

I figured it would be a big deal at the airport. I keep telling my husband this and he says it's no biggie. I'm still going to get this done to avoid loosing our flight on our way back to NJ.

Thanks so much for taking time to reply!!

Hi, JJT, YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE ANY CONSENT LETTER TO THE INTERVIEW. You'll need that only at the airport. ( I had the same situation with my daughter and they did not asked for her father consent at the interview).

Thanks so much for the response!

I will have that letter done for when we are ready to come back to NJ.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

If one is needed they request it from the intruction email that they would send you for the interview . I had recd an email from Montreal 2 days before advising me what I need to bring at the interview and custody agreement and or notarized letter with the father signature with an ID attach was one them and after the interview they kept the photocopy of the custody .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.