SabrinaJerome

Weighing different options as my partner will need to travel after we are married

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Yes. If DCF is not available, you still follow that guide. Since DCF is only available in a few countries, it's quite common to send the I-130 and documents to the Chicago lockbox.

Thank you, NLR,

I'm trying to find the processing times for people that were in our situation. CR1 from abroad, from Spain, through Chicago (not DCF).

Do you know where I could find that?

October 2011: Met in Spain

2012-2014: Video chat + visas + visits and vacations = we made it through!

June 2014: Moved to Spain, got engaged 

December 31, 2015: got married

April 20, 2016: sent I130 package

May 2, 2016: package received in Chicago Lockbox - - - 12 days for delivery!! Don't use TNT couriers!! 

May 2nd or 5th, 2016: email NOA1... accepted and sent to.... NEBRASKA 

And now.... breeeeeeathe..... be like water my friend....

October 26th, 2016: NOA2 [We had waited almost 6 months. Received notification from the phone app, never got an email.]

November 9th 2016: USCIS sent the petition to NVC (app notification) [waited 2 weeks after approval for this]

November 25th 2016: NVC received and created account for our petition [waited 16 days after USCIS sent it, for NVC to acknowledge receipt]

Dec 1st 2016: Chose agent online DS261 [a few days later than it could've been since the above NVC email went to SPAM!]

Dec 6th 2016: Case available for paying fees. That was fast, I think! 5 days!

Took a long time to get package out because... life... and husband's family in Morocco had to travel to get police document.

Feb 20th 2017: Scan date at NVC, received weird email.

April 28th 2017: CHECKLIST. Moroccans are required to send a Court Report regardless of Police Record status. My husband had to go back to Morocco to get it in person. Also, NVC wants a 2016 tax return now that is 2017. My bad.

September 15th 2017: 2nd Scan Date at NVC. Sent for document review October 20th.

Nov 10th 2017: Email requesting document be brought to interview. Will schedule interview.

Case complete date??: TBD :clock:.... November 8th!!

Interview date : January 18, 2018!!           Result: Administrative Processing      :mellow:

Embassy called for new medical last week of August. New Medical Sept 10.

Visa ISSUED September 14, 2018. :blink:

Thank you, NLR,

I'm trying to find the processing times for people that were in our situation. CR1 from abroad, from Spain, through Chicago (not DCF).

Do you know where I could find that?

It all depends on the service center. It's possible for the USCIS portion to only be 1-3 months vs the normal 6ish.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

It all depends on the service center. It's possible for the USCIS portion to only be 1-3 months vs the normal 6ish.

Hmmm, so, next dumb question, which service center?

You mean, for example, since I am from NY, it would be Vermont?

May 2, 2016: package received in Chicago Lockbox - - - 12 days for delivery!! Don't use TNT couriers!! 

October 26th, 2016: NOA2 [We had waited almost 6 months. Received notification from the phone app, never got an email.]

November 9th 2016: USCIS sent the petition to NVC (app notification) [waited 2 weeks after approval for this]

November 25th 2016: NVC received and created account for our petition [waited 16 days after USCIS sent it, for NVC to acknowledge receipt]

Dec 1st 2016: Chose agent online DS261 [a few days later than it could've been since the above NVC email went to SPAM!]

Took a long time to get package out because... life... and husband's family in Morocco had to travel to get police document.

April 28th 2017: CHECKLIST. Moroccans are required to send a Court Report regardless of Police Record status. My husband had to go back to Morocco to get it in person. Also, NVC wants a 2016 tax return now that is 2017. My bad.

September 15th 2017: 2nd Scan Date at NVC. Sent for document review October 20th.

Nov 10th 2017: Email requesting document be brought to interview. Will schedule interview.

Interview date : January 18, 2018!!           Result: Administrative Processing      :mellow:

Are you residing in the USA at the moment? Most often non-DCF abroad applications are sent to California where there is the unofficial auto expedite. Some of the newer service centers though dont do this and its possible to end up there too.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Are you residing in the USA at the moment? Most often non-DCF abroad applications are sent to California where there is the unofficial auto expedite. Some of the newer service centers though dont do this and its possible to end up there too.

No, we live in Spain right now. True, I am sitting in NYC at the moment, for the holidays. We are getting married after Christmas and then will return to Spain in early January.

I read that I would need to send the 130 to the Chicago Lockbox. Is that correct? Then afterwards it is sent to California?

Hmm, would it be possible, or rather, a good idea, to send the first package from NY while we are still here?? (if i can collect everything fast enough)... would it still be considered an "abroad" application? I'd only mail it from here, that's all. hmmm

Timeline

Any thoughts, anyone, on that last post?

I would really like to get some ballpark figure on how long this is taking people. Too quick would be almost as bad as very long.

Thanks guys!

You can make it take longer... You cannot speed it up. It still takes between 8 months and just over a year... in general most people are done between 8-14 month with an average of 12ish.

Timeline

You can make it take longer... You cannot speed it up. It still takes between 8 months and just over a year... in general most people are done between 8-14 month with an average of 12ish.

Haha yeah, I was looking at the different steps to see where I could delay it if it was going very quickly.

But this 8-14 month timeline is for a CR1 that is filed from the US, no?

I understand that the process is shorter for a petition filed from abroad.

I am looking for that data.

It can be but it only shortens the I-130 stage. So instead of 4-6 months on average for that, you're looking at 2ish. So about an 8 months journey. Again, you can slow the visa process at the NVC stage for several years if needed.

It's a great deal harder to slow down a K1. Also a K1 would not allow your spouse to work or leave the USA for 30-90 days. Really, your only option is the CR1 because of the needs of your significant other.

Timeline

It can be but it only shortens the I-130 stage. So instead of 4-6 months on average for that, you're looking at 2ish. So about an 8 months journey. Again, you can slow the visa process at the NVC stage for several years if needed.

Okay, thanks, because we want to do a ceremony for friends and family this summer in the US and I don't know if he'll be able to come by then!!

I am looking into the "yes he can visit" forums but am having difficulty finding our situation. He has a 10 year tourist visa at this point, but I am unclear as to whether or not he will still be able to use it after I start the CR1 process.

???

Okay, thanks, because we want to do a ceremony for friends and family this summer in the US and I don't know if he'll be able to come by then!!

I am looking into the "yes he can visit" forums but am having difficulty finding our situation. He has a 10 year tourist visa at this point, but I am unclear as to whether or not he will still be able to use it after I start the CR1 process.

???

Of course he can. CBP doesn't know someone is going through the immigration process unless they have a reason to search it out or unless you volunteer that information.

Timeline

Hmm, okay, so when they scan his passport at control, none of that information comes up on the screen??

I did read about people who came in to visit during an immigration process, using their tourist visa, and brought copies of their I130 and other documents, and were allowed in. Not necessary?

In addition, he could bring documents that show his need to return to Spain, such as our apartment lease and the business he owns...?

Hmm, okay, so when they scan his passport at control, none of that information comes up on the screen??

I did read about people who came in to visit during an immigration process, using their tourist visa, and brought copies of their I130 and other documents, and were allowed in. Not necessary?

In addition, he could bring documents that show his need to return to Spain, such as our apartment lease and the business he owns...?

Not normally no.

They bring that as proof that they're already pursing a legal path. I brought a copy of my NOA1 when I was visiting along with other evidence I would be returning back home (a letter from my employer, a copy of my lease, and copies of bills). I was never asked for any of it. They do ask more questions than just purpose of visit though after you state you're visiting a spouse but generally they ask where you work and when you will be returning. He should have a copy of his entire itinerary and try to stay for only short visits vs long ones. In reality people can't just leave their work for months and months at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Haha yeah, I was looking at the different steps to see where I could delay it if it was going very quickly.

But this 8-14 month timeline is for a CR1 that is filed from the US, no?

I understand that the process is shorter for a petition filed from abroad.

I am looking for that data.

eh - we've a topic about this, this auto-expedite queue, and folk who got into it.

I'll dig around a bit and post the url - but I think once you read it all, you'll get a better sense of how to file to make certain you get INTO that queue [which is really important]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sorry, been busy,

but

here's the topic url:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/357465-usc-petitioner-living-abroad/

Note this covers a 3 year span currently, and there was a period of time when this auto-routing to CSC into that hidden expedite queue not occur, but it's back !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.