Sisterofthemoon

Now that my fiance's visa has been approved, what now!?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I have been reading the FAQ's about what to do once my fiancé arrives on US soil and it is all so confusing!

Basically, we need my fiancé to start working ASAP to help with all this cost.

So this is my understanding:

1. 5 days after he arrives, he needs to apply for the social security card.

2. we get married asap and send in the marriage license to the court.

3. as soon as we get the marriage license back, we apply for Adjustment of Status and EAD (at the same time?) This is confusing to me. Are there two separate fees? $1070 for Adjustment of Status and $300+ for EAD, or is the $1070 INCLUDE the EAD?

4. what can we do now? how long does it take for him to be able to work?

Please help, the stress is killing me :-(

for K1 the AOS should include the EAD. Can not work until EAD in hand.

You need to apply for a marriage license in order to get married and get a marriage certificate. You can't get married first.

The form for AoS has its own instructions too, which are pretty clear along w/ the guides.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

for K1 the AOS should include the EAD. Can not work until EAD in hand.

You need to apply for a marriage license in order to get married and get a marriage certificate. You can't get married first.

The form for AoS has its own instructions too, which are pretty clear along w/ the guides.

How long does it take to get the EAD?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Timeline

Thank you, but is there a time frame of how long it will take for the EAD to be approved? The AOS to be approved?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thank you, but is there a time frame of how long it will take for the EAD to be approved? The AOS to be approved?

EAD/AP is a few months. GC takes a bit longer. I know someone who got married in May who has a GC already. If you search/read some of the thread in forums you may find some approximate times. I think they vary a bit though

USCIS is required to process the EAD within 90 days. The exception to that is if you get an RFE after submitting your AOS package. Processing on all parts of your application, including he EAD, is paused from the date on which the RFE is sent until the dat USCIS receives your response. The 90 days processing time for the EAD is extended by however many days elapsed between the RFE being sent and the response received.

How long it takes for AOS to be approved varies significantly depending on whether or not you receive an interview waiver, and on which field office is dealing with your application. Anything from 4-5 months to well over a year.

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

If you're really in a hurry for him to work, you'll obviously want to get married asap and get the ball rolling on the AOS/EAD. You need to include your marriage certificate (the paper you get AFTER your marriage) with the paperwork, and it's important to note that some county clerk's offices can get that certificate to you on the same day, whereas others can take several weeks, so make sure to find that out before you choose your wedding venue.

Timeline

USCIS is required to process the EAD within 90 days. The exception to that is if you get an RFE after submitting your AOS package. Processing on all parts of your application, including he EAD, is paused from the date on which the RFE is sent until the dat USCIS receives your response. The 90 days processing time for the EAD is extended by however many days elapsed between the RFE being sent and the response received.

How long it takes for AOS to be approved varies significantly depending on whether or not you receive an interview waiver, and on which field office is dealing with your application. Anything from 4-5 months to well over a year.

SO UCSIC is require to only PROCESS the EAD within 90 days, or have him approved for EAD within 90 days?

Just trying to figure out what he can do for work if he has to wait MONTHS to get EAD.

Relax a bit, take a breath and process the information people have helped with. EAD prototypically is applied for at the same time as AoS and typically is approved on avg in 90 days. All of which has been assisted and provided in this thread.

Timeline

Relax a bit, take a breath and process the information people have helped with. EAD prototypically is applied for at the same time as AoS and typically is approved on avg in 90 days. All of which has been assisted and provided in this thread.

I AM reading everything that has been commented here, but still have questions. That's what this forum is for correct? To gain information and ask questions.

SO UCSIC is require to only PROCESS the EAD within 90 days, or have him approved for EAD within 90 days?

Just trying to figure out what he can do for work if he has to wait MONTHS to get EAD.

USCIS is required to complete the EAD approval process within 90 days, unless there is an RFE, in which case processing is paused for the duration of time between issuing the RFE and receiving the response. Sorry if I didn't state it clearly enough, it's easy to forget that not everyone's been staring at this process as long as some of us have :)

So yes, he will have to wait months for an EAD - but only 2 or 3 of them. Mine was approved in 70 days from receipt of the AOS package to the approval date on the EAD, then took a couple of days to get to me through the mail.

Edited by Elf

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I AM reading everything that has been commented here, but still have questions. That's what this forum is for correct? To gain information and ask questions.

Anxiety doesn't help, it will only make it worse for you and might make you miss some important details on forms and such. Make sure you check, double check and triple check everything, one at a time. Take a deep breath...

Here's what needs to happen for him to work:

- apply for marriage license in your location - courthouse/city hall/county office... whichever applies to your location

- get married - aka have a recognized officiant sign your papers

- ask the officiant if you yourself can take the marriage license back to where it was issued so you can have your marriage certificate in hand asap - this can save a lot of time (3-6 weeks)

- prepare your I-485, I-131 and I-765 with all supporting documents and needed things (like check for $1,070 for all 3 forms, 6 photos, translations if needed, etc.) - see the guide here Adjustment of Status Guide (K1 & K3 Visa Holders and tips here K1 Visa Adjustment of Status Tips

- submit your documents

- he can get a SSN while he waits. No need to go asap, he won't need it until he gets the EAD, unless you want health insurance and such

- he will get 3 NOA1s

- he will get a biometrics appointment letter from USCIS

- wait for 60-90 days until he will have the EAD

- he can apply for jobs towards the 60-day mark and have an offer lined up for when he will receive his EAD if the employer is OK with this arrangement

Good luck!

Edited by acgmph

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.