Alex+R

Talking about your wad of cash in public/on VJ

101 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about talking about your money in public?

• Money is something one never talks about except with family and close friends--it's a taboo subject
    • money is best described euphemistically (i.e. "I am comfortable") but no shame in talking about it politely
    • On a special occasion ("I just got a raise of $x")
    • I'm proud of how much money I've earned over my lifetime and not ashamed to talk about it
    • I'm so broke that I don't care how many people know anymore

112 posts in this topic

Euphemistically is fine by me. I would only use actual numbers in a coversation with close friends/family unless there was a specific need to use real numbers. Its not very polite to show it off.

keTiiDCjGVo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
I've noticed a lot of people talking about their money, listing their salaries, mentioning how hard they've worked to make X, and other specific mentions of their income or assets.

My parents always said, "the more money you have the less you should talk about it." But that is a Jewish attitude, AFAIK.

I agree. My parents had a similar viewpoint. But they applied it even if they didn't have much money -- they still didn't talk about it, not to family members, not to anyone. They consider salary/income/assets to be a private matter, and in exceedingly bad taste to discuss in detail, other than where absolutely necessary.

I think both attitudes (to talk about it freely, or not) can be found among many different groups, not necessarily divided by ethnicity. I know a fair number of Jewish people who are quite talkative about their money and assets, and plenty of others who keep the numbers to themselves. I think it all comes down to how you were brought up -- some consider this "boasting" or even "TMI;" others clearly do not.

Anyway, I always take extravagent claims (especially on the *internet*) with a considerable grain of salt. :P

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

I don't think it's appropriate to discuss, particularly on a message board. However, there are some examples where someone may want to know if they make enough to support, without getting a co-sponsor. But people talking about how they come from all kinds of money, etc., I think is unnecessary, and used to convey their sense of self-worth (or what they percieve their worth to be, based on money).

Just my opinion. But I never talk about money unless it's with my fiance, mom, or brother.

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I have lots of Jewish neighbors who talk about their money. Everybody knows we have some or we wouldn't be in this neighborhood. I think there's a time and a place for it, but dodging the fact that there are social and economic classes and levels in the world is silly because it's so obvious that there are. If we talked about money more and educated people about it, maybe more would have some.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I have lots of Jewish neighbors who talk about their money. Everybody knows we have some or we wouldn't be in this neighborhood. I think there's a time and a place for it, but dodging the fact that there are social and economic classes and levels in the world is silly because it's so obvious that there are. If we talked about money more and educated people about it, maybe more would have some.

i've found that generally those most offended by such talk are ones who make less than the one talking about it.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Oprah talks about her money all the time, not in numbers, but, no doubt, she has lots! Forbes magazine will tell you all about her money and that of many other rich folks, even if they don't talk about it.

We notice who has money and who doesn't; we just don't like to acknowledge that we do.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Filed: Timeline

I would never talk about my money. I was raised in the same mindset of Alex...but then again, we're NY Italians, so it's practically the Jewish community's twin :lol:

At the same time, I'm not going to make excuses for my lifestyle and/or lie to cover things us. Like if I went on a shopping spree every weekend, I wouldn't be all 'I was at the library' because I'm that private about it. I dunno if that makes sense, but to me, it does. I could be flat broke, I could be rolling in money...no one knows. Despite having an 'idea'...no one knows, nor will they ever get confirmation. The only people who know about my financial picture are my family and David. And that is the way it will remain because I don't need to trot it out as a way to qualify who I am...regardless if it's a struggling re agent, or quite a successful one. ;)

i've found that generally those most offended by such talk are ones who make less than the one talking about it.

To GEG: I find that you talking about your money...which let's face it, the 'trust fund baby' comment is probably the motivation behind this thread....anyways, I think you whipped that out as another qualifier of 'how you're so different' on here. It's very similar to the countless times you bring up your PhD, your 'social scientist' thing, how your traits are viewed as more masculine, etc...I personally find it kinda sad that you seem so insecure that you need to qualify yourself to the world constantly....cos after all, on the internet, why must there be an economic and social class heirarchy? Futhermore, you have no clue if that even makes you different at all...there could be countless trust fund babies on here ;)

It's not always wise to judge a book by the cover...for instance, in my job, I'm meeting people all the time. I can't tell you how many cash buyers I've met that other people would judge as poor cos they dress like #######, drive ###### beat up cars, etc. It's called 'flying under the radar'. And many people do it.

To Charles: I think the majority of people offended by talk like this are simply people who were brought up to not talk about it. I don't think it's an indication of envy, just a complete foreign concept to one who was brought up having a little more discretion.

Filed: Other Timeline
Why are there so many mentions of numbers on VJ lately? Seems weird.

And isn't it considered at all tacky to insinuate that you make more than a previously stated number, or to complain about having your taxes, or anything like that?

It's tacky, and judgemental. For someone to say "yeah, but you don't pay as much tax" or "you have a lower cost of living" is ridiculous because no one knows anyone else's true financial situation. We can have an economics discussion, but it certainly shouldn't resort to the individual's income level and situation. Very tacky.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That is very silly. ;)

Timeline
To Charles: I think the majority of people offended by talk like this are simply people who were brought up to not talk about it. I don't think it's an indication of envy, just a complete foreign concept to one who was brought up having a little more discretion.

or maybe it is, eh? maybe we need another poll :D

That is very silly. ;)

so you say. how's the job search going for you?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Timeline

The ones screaming are the ones who need to validate themselves. The ones claiming it's a source of envy ar those who feel the need to feel a false sense of superiority towards others, which imo indicates a low self-esteem issue. :)

That is very silly. ;)

Even in jest, that's completely uncalled for, and a perfect example of what I was just talking about. You have absolutely no idea what Alex may or may not have. Youdon't know what her finances are like...and being jobless does not mean she's poor. Yet there you go, making your assumptions and attempting to feel superior to someone you don't even know.

Which is not only ignorant, it's socially retarded.

Timeline

:thumbs:

Timeline

To Charles: Really, you have no idea what my finances are like. And thank you, I have a job. :) And a husband who has a much better job. :) Too many smileys? :) :) :)

Timeline
The ones screaming are the ones who need to validate themselves. The ones claiming it's a source of envy ar those who feel the need to feel a false sense of superiority towards others, which imo indicates a low self-esteem issue. :)

That is very silly. ;)

Even in jest, that's completely uncalled for, and a perfect example of what I was just talking about. You have absolutely no idea what Alex may or may not have. Youdon't know what her finances are like...and being jobless does not mean she's poor. Yet there you go, making your assumptions and attempting to feel superior to someone you don't even know.

Which is not only ignorant, it's socially retarded.

any more retarded than her comment about my post? i think not.

To Charles: Really, you have no idea what my finances are like. And thank you, I have a job. :) And a husband who has a much better job. :) Too many smileys? :) :) :)

how exactly is rey working? his ead expired when you two got married, as i understand it.

eta: and your ead filed less than a month ago. you two know something i don't?

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *