Sousuke

Nearly 400 guns turned in for 50-100 usd gift cards

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The weapons will be checked and if they turn out to be stolen or connected to a crime, will be turned over to the appropriate agency. The rest will be destroyed.

http://www.10news.com/news/nearly-400-guns-exchanged-for-gift-cards-in-san-marcos

I doubt they will all be destroyed. Many will end up in the officer's personal gun safes....

That M1 Garand has a value of over 1000 and is very collectible. The Luger probably 1500+. The winchester,if original, 2k. The walther p38 i see is close to 1000 if ww2 era. If cold war era probably half.

If this were done by a private company, they would be scam artists...

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

Roughly $27,000 paid for approximately $160,000 worth of guns. And now, they turn around and sell the guns, or keep them. What could possibly go wrong with this?

I think I would insist on an independent third party recording of all serial numbers to compare against in future cirmes.

The weapons will be checked and if they turn out to be stolen or connected to a crime, will be turned over to the appropriate agency. The rest will be destroyed.

http://www.10news.com/news/nearly-400-guns-exchanged-for-gift-cards-in-san-marcos

I doubt they will all be destroyed. Many will end up in the officer's personal gun safes....

That M1 Garand has a value of over 1000 and is very collectible. The Luger probably 1500+. The winchester,if original, 2k. The walther p38 i see is close to 1000 if ww2 era. If cold war era probably half.

If this were done by a private company, they would be scam artists...

I feel so much safer

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Roughly $27,000 paid for approximately $160,000 worth of guns. And now, they turn around and sell the guns, or keep them. What could possibly go wrong with this?

I think I would insist on an independent third party recording of all serial numbers to compare against in future cirmes.

Get a reputable accounting firm to do the honors similar Arthur Andersen and that would give legitimacy to the entire affair lol

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hmm

If they set up in conjunction with some local dealers who could perhaps offer proper money for the good stuff and the the gift cards for the #######.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I didn't see that part in the article posted. It says in the article if the guns were found to be used in a crime, they will be turned over to the appropriate agency and the rest will be destroyed.

For the record, I wouldn't have a problem with some of the guns, like the ones Sousuke mentioned, being sold to reputable collectors and the money gained being used to buy back more guns off the street.

I didn't see that part in the article posted. It says in the article if the guns were found to be used in a crime, they will be turned over to the appropriate agency and the rest will be destroyed.

For the record, I wouldn't have a problem with some of the guns, like the ones Sousuke mentioned, being sold to reputable collectors and the money gained being used to buy back more guns off the street.

I think the more appropriate thing would have been for the police to tell the owners what they have instead of scamming them. I could never in good conscience give someone a 100 usd gift card for a 2000usd collectible.

This did happen a few years ago when someone tried to hand over a Sturmgewehr that was probably worth over 5k. The cop who saw it told he woman she should put it on consignment.

Edited by Sousuke

I think the more appropriate thing would have been for the police to tell the owners what they have instead of scamming them. I could never in good conscience give someone a 100 usd gift card for a 2000usd collectible.

This did happen a few years ago when someone tried to hand over a Sturmgewehr that was probably worth over 5k. The cop who saw it told he woman she should put it on consignment.

if they're using funds from asset seizure, why not pay the actual value of the gun, why a bunch of gift cards?

I agree with the premise, but that now brings into play having an appraiser at the buy back that would probably charge for his/her time and I would gather that a good amount of these guns being turned in do not have the proper paper trail required to show legal posession of the gun, otherwise they could simply pawn them or sell them themselves if money was the issue. I doubt the number of folks who don't realize the gun they have is valuable is all that high.

Edited by Teddy B

I agree with the premise, but that now brings into play having an appraiser at the buy back that would probably charge for his/her time and I would gather that a good amount of these guns being turned in do not have the proper paper trail required to show legal posession of the gun, otherwise they could simply pawn them or sell them themselves if money was the issue. I doubt the number of folks who don't realize the gun they have is valuable is all that high.

Well for the state of California where this took place, new handgun purchases had to be registered starting 2000 i believe, long guns last year. These guns are so old, they don't have to have a proper paper trail so to speak.

If they were stolen that is one thing I guess. Of course once police gain possession of a firearm in CA they never return them to the rightful owner. It generally requires lots of legal fees to get through the bureaucracy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So the police could be charged with receiving stolen property?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”