Rc123rc

I-129F Application when Japanese Woman Divorce < 6 Months

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a question.

I am a US Citizen and I have been in a relationship with a Japanese woman for a awhile and I have been researching the Form I-129F process quite a bit. There is one question I can't seem to find a straight answer on.

The Japanese woman's divorce was recently completed. However, Japanese family law says a Japanese woman cannot remarry for 6 months.

My Question is. Can an I-129F Application be filled out and submitted for approval before the 6 month time limit is complete? As it is.. the I-129F approval process looks to be 6-7 months in some cases. Adding that time to the 6 month divorces restriction and we are looking at maybe 15 months before possible marriage.

Thank You,

It can't be submitted until AFTER she is free to marry. They will still log when they receive it, which is usually within a week or so, so they'll know if they got it before the 6 month period. Don't risk it, just wait out the six months. You have to both be free to marry at the time that you apply (date they receive it) not by the time they process it.

Right now it's not taking 5-6 months, more like 1-2 months, 2 and a half max. The ones showing 6 months or more are from Texas Service Center. They are no longer sending petitions to that, instead they go to California Service Center after being forwarded from the lockbox. California Service Center is averaging a little over a month before approval.

My entire process from 129F petition to interview took less than six months. I sent out the petition April 22nd, and interview is tomorrow Sept 22nd. So only 5 months from when I mailed I-129F to interview date.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

I think she already divorced but she cant marry for six months.Well, u are going to apply in us so they dont work with japonese laws. The approval that you get from them its just background check and if both of u are eligible to marry each other by checking if u have all required documents. Next step is japonese embassy. Here is the small problem. One suggestion. Why dont u choose another embassy in another state nearby? You can use this option. But i think that the embassy must not care because she is getting married in usa not japan and she intends to live in usa in the future.

Or if this is a problem for the embassy, i suggest that both take it easy in gathering the documents which are a lot, this might take you a month ( i took it easy too on documents cuz wanted to make sure all is accurate) one month + 1-2months till ur approval + 1-2 months till embassy asks you to schedule an appoinment interview and then u can schedule the appointment whenever u want in the next 1-2 month/s. U have to submit other documents during the process so try and prolong them. Good luck-!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I think she already divorced but she cant marry for six months.Well, u are going to apply in us so they dont work with japonese laws. The approval that you get from them its just background check and if both of u are eligible to marry each other by checking if u have all required documents. Next step is japonese embassy. Here is the small problem. One suggestion. Why dont u choose another embassy in another state nearby? You can use this option. But i think that the embassy must not care because she is getting married in usa not japan and she intends to live in usa in the future.

Or if this is a problem for the embassy, i suggest that both take it easy in gathering the documents which are a lot, this might take you a month ( i took it easy too on documents cuz wanted to make sure all is accurate) one month + 1-2months till ur approval + 1-2 months till embassy asks you to schedule an appoinment interview and then u can schedule the appointment whenever u want in the next 1-2 month/s. U have to submit other documents during the process so try and prolong them. Good luck-!

There is a section of the I-129F that literally states

Your Certification

I certify that I am legally able to and intend to marry my alien fiance(e) within 90 days of his or her arrival in the United States. I certify, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America, that the foregoing is true and correct. Furthermore, I authorize the release of any information from my records that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services needs to determine eligibility for the benefit that I am seeking.

Now I'm not as much of an expert as many others here, but I do believe that the "legally able to marry section" requires them to be legally able to marry according to U.S. Law, and the Laws of their country, especially because Japan recognizes dual-citizenship. While your marriage "may" be legal in the US, who knows what complications will arise when trying to register it in Japan also.

I welcome anyone else with more knowledge to weigh in on this, but that is just my understanding.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I have a question.

I am a US Citizen and I have been in a relationship with a Japanese woman for a awhile and I have been researching the Form I-129F process quite a bit. There is one question I can't seem to find a straight answer on.

The Japanese woman's divorce was recently completed. However, Japanese family law says a Japanese woman cannot remarry for 6 months.

My Question is. Can an I-129F Application be filled out and submitted for approval before the 6 month time limit is complete? As it is.. the I-129F approval process looks to be 6-7 months in some cases. Adding that time to the 6 month divorces restriction and we are looking at maybe 15 months before possible marriage.

Thank You,

I have two points to make: You'll see how these tie together.....

1. Did your fiance have a Kyogi-Rikon divorce? That's also known as a City Ward divorce. There is no Court involvement, just a filing at the Mayor's office. Thus, no Court Decree of Divorce. When you read the I-129f directions it will ask you to produce a Japanese Divorce Decree, with translation, of course. You'll be scratching your head if she did get a Kyogi-Rikon (Mutual Consent) divorce because there won't be a Court Decree to produce. (Thankfully, there is other paperwork you can include with your i-129f).

2. If you file before the 6 month period expires your I-129f will be denied. You will have to start over with a new Petition.

I believe your reasoning is flawed: You are assuming that the USCIS rules, and the entire K-1 Processing system, is based on what is practical or impractical. it is not. It's based on a legal formula, and if you don't follow it, you're out and there is no appeal. So, your reasoning assumes that it is impractical, (dare I say impossible) that your K-1 application will be processed before the 6 month period expires. Therefore, your fiance will be free to marry when the Visa is ready to be granted. But, while impractical, it is theoretically possible that your fiance's K-1 Visa COULD be issued in three weeks. Likely...of course not.

But let's just assume for a moment a mistake is made and your i-129f ends up in an expedited pile for emergency refugees. Likely....no. Theoretically possible: Yes. Let's assume the USCIS gets more funding and hires a thousand new adjudicators. Likely....no. Possible....well.....

In any event, your fiance's status must be "Free To Marry" on the date you and her sign that I-129f Petition and sign the "Letters of Intent to Marry" and sign Biogrqaphical Data forms and all the other stuff you need to include with the I-129f.

The other responder who says this is all dependent on US Law is, respectfully, wrong.

Example: Remember above I mentioned the Kyogi-Rikon divorce. Well, 90% of all divorces in Japan are done by this method. Kyogi-Rikon divorces involve no Court, They are accomplished without a Judge's order. The procedure is done through the Mayor's office. There is no divorce like this which is legal anywhere in the United States. None. Zip.

However, the USCIS will give Japanese Law something known as COMITY. The basic premise behind Comity is that the United States will recognize the legitimacy of laws and procedures in foreign countries as long as those laws do not offend some important public policy underpinning our laws. Therefore, "weird" foreign procedures such as Kyogi-Rikon are generally given Comity. The USCIS will recognize all lawful Japanese divorce procedures, even the weird ones which are different from our laws. You benefit from Comity: If your fiance indeed had a Kyogi-Rikon divorce, without Comity she wouldn't even be considered divorced in the United States and the 6 months waiting period would be the least of your worries.

Since you BENEFIT from Comity being extended to Japanese procedures, you must also bear the BURDENS of Comity. So the USCIS will DEFINITELY consider Japanese rules when assessing your i-129f Petition. And if those rules state that your fiance is not free to marry in Japan then she is not free to marry in the United States. And until she is free to marry in every relevant jurisdiction, you can not file for a fiance visa. Period.

I open the floor up to debate.....

Edited by Eric The Wait

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19
(G-1145 Email Receipt of case #: Never Received)
1/15/19: Called USCIS and given EAC Case Number

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

*I've deleted reply, because a much more informed response came in, while I was typing. :)

Edited by tamcloud

K-1...

08/09/2015: I-129F mailed
08/14/2015: NOA1 received by email; hardcopy received approximately 08/17/2015
09/14/2015: NOA2 received
09/30/2015: NVC received case
10/02/2015: CEAC status changed to "In Transit"
10/08/2015: CEAC status changed to "Ready"
10/09/2015: Consulate acknowledged receipt via phone; Hardcopy from US DoS with case number.
10/19/2015: Received information from Consulate.
10/28/2015: Medical Exam
11/17/2015: Interview...rescheduled due to computer problems. New date as yet unknown.
11/18/2015: Called in for interview and APPROVED!

11/24/2015: Picked up visa/passport and sealed packet from the Consulate! <happy dance>

02/14/2016: Arrived in the U.S. (POE was Bermuda)...CO was really nice!

02/18/2016: Married! :)

AOS...

03/02/2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package mailed
03/14/2016: I-485/765/131 NOAs received by mail. USCIS Received Date 03/04/2016; USCIS Notice Date 03/10/2016
03/25/2016: Received biometrics appointment letter for I-485 & I-765
04/04/2016: Biometrics appointment
04/26/2016: Received notification that the I-131 was approved and the name was updated on the I-765
05/23/2016: Received notice that card was being produced for I-765.
05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP card.
06/01/2016: Received electronic notice that AOS interview has been scheduled.
06/30/2016: I-485 interview at USCIS Baltimore Field Office.
09/01/2016: InfoPass appointment made for 09/07/2016.
09/06/2016: Received electronic notification that I-485 was approved on 09/02/2016.
09/09/2016: Received approval letter.
09/14/2016: Green Card delivered! :)

ROC...

06/13/2018: I-751 package mailed to Vermont Service Center
06/25/2018: NOA/extension letter received, dated 06/19/2018

07/14/2018: Received ASC notice for Biometrics Appointment

07/25/18: Completed Biometrics

06/13/19: Received email notification of card production. I-751 approved!

06/19/19: 10yr card delivered!

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your responses so far. The divorce is a Kyogi Rikon. From what I can see from the responses, this may pose a problem for documentation. I will need to see how this can be handled. Also, I agree with all the comments about waiting for 6 months to expire before submission of an I-129F. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.