tchock

Can this help as a reason to comback

43 posts in this topic

My brother in law was refused a student visa when he showed about $14K in the bank. He said he was going to be living with us and us helping support him. This was in Costa Rica a low fraud country, so I think your chances are slim.

Edited by merc0230

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Why nobody mentioned the house that i have?! Would this help?? Also i do have some money in bank 20k$ and my wife is a police officer so she can pay her bills during the time i'm away...

So please how are my chances?!

You need to meet the first requirement - meeting the money in the bank requirement to get the I-20.

Your house can be sold. Not much of a reason to come back if you can sell your house.

$20K is not enough for one year of school. Money can be moved so it's not a reason for you to come back.

Your wife being a police officer does not matter. Her job does not matter.

What matters is money in the bank to cover the cost of your studies. That is the only thing that matters.

No one can tell you your chances. If you want random and useless guesses, then people will be more than happy to entertain you.

Edited by aaron2020

And jobs can be left too??!!! If having properties and family and some money in bank isn't enough i think they should cancel this visa category!!

Finding school isn't a problem I've already being accepted in a college 4 years ago when i just finished high school but i didn't bother myself going to interview because i know they'll refuse ( cause i have no ties here)

Thank you guys for your time and please i just want to hear from students who successfully passed the interview cause alot of friends have being refused even with having a sponsor in the States.

May20th : checked the dv and got selected (got exited)

May28th: Completed Ds-260 form

Now: Pending with big fair...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

And jobs can be left too??!!! If having properties and family and some money in bank isn't enough i think they should cancel this visa category!!

Finding school isn't a problem I've already being accepted in a college 4 years ago when i just finished high school but i didn't bother myself going to interview because i know they'll refuse ( cause i have no ties here)

Thank you guys for your time and please i just want to hear from students who successfully passed the interview cause alot of friends have being refused even with having a sponsor in the States.

I was successful in getting a student visa and I went with a sponsor who was not from the US (my mom). In my case I think it helped that I was studying through an organization that helped me through every step of the process, though I was on my own during the interview. But it was beneficial because I could show the interviewer an exact list of courses I was going to study and also the tuition was paid in advance to the organization which proved to the embassy that I could pay for myself. It also benefited me that Sweden gives you money to study.

So as it's been said before: only way for you to know is to get accepted at a school and go through the whole process and hope for the best. Every country has it's requirements and some countries are tougher and some countries are easier. It's not because the US is playing some kind of unfair game. It's because some people desperately want to go to the US and try to trick them and unfortunately that happens more in some countries than others.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obviously many many people study in the US on F1's and I am sure the majority of them never come across sites like this, they just apply.

My first thought is why are they asking? Then does it make sense, is it a logical progression in the career path.

Then who is paying, not many siblings would pay for an MBA. Does the investment in a US degree make sense.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The F1 student visa works for many people. They meet the requirements.

If you spend all $20k for one year of study in the U.S., what will you do to pay for the other years? What will you do when you have to drop out because you don't have money for tuition the second year? What happens when you go home with no money and no U.S. degree?

Get over being mad. The F1 student visa program is not going to be "cancel" because you can't meet the requirements. Many people do and are very happy being F1 students in the U.S.

Edited by aaron2020

aaron2020 i already said that my sister is going to sponsor me and help me paying the rest of the tuitions actually her husband will do his making 65k p.a

Sorry if i was bothering you guys but i just wanna clear things up and evaluate my chances before going through the consulate process as you it cost around 500$

May20th : checked the dv and got selected (got exited)

May28th: Completed Ds-260 form

Now: Pending with big fair...

Timeline

Well we can't give you a definite answer, you're going to have to decide if you want to spend $500 to find out. Worst case scenario they are going to look at your DV lottery entry and look at the fact that you have family in the US and think that you're trying to move to the US and you're going to have to be prepared to prove you're not.

Timeline

aaron2020 i already said that my sister is going to sponsor me and help me paying the rest of the tuitions actually her husband will do his making 65k p.a Already told you that this does not matter. You have to have the money in the bank. You don't seem to understand this and keep going on about your sister.

Sorry if i was bothering you guys but i just wanna clear things up and evaluate my chances before going through the consulate process as you it cost around 500$

You think having a sponsor is good enough to meet the financial requirements. It's not.

Instead of accepting that you need money in the bank, you refuse to accept this and keep going back to a sponsor.

There is no convincing you of the truth. You rather believe what you want to believe - that your sister as a sponsor should be good enough. It's not.

Best of luck

Timeline

Exactly. A lot of people seem to think that a sponsor is someone who pays for your studies. It's not (even though a lot of sponsors do pay). It's just to show that if you can't pay your tuition someone will. But you still have to show you can pay for yourself and that the sponsor is a backup.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would imagine most students rely on mummy and daddy to pay.

So your BIL earns $65k gross and is happy to pay nearly half his net to pay for you to take a MBA in the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I would imagine most students rely on mummy and daddy to pay.

So your BIL earns $65k gross and is happy to pay nearly half his net to pay for you to take a MBA in the US?

Exactly.

It's normal for mom and dad to pay for a child's education.

It's NOT NORMAL for a brother-in-law to spend half his pay to support his wife's brother. Tchock does not understand this.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

so I'm looking to switch to student visa to reach my American dream

If you have all these reasons to return to your home country then what is this 'American dream' your hoping to reach?

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Noone will probably know about the DV.

Because the U.S. does not have computers and his DV application is not on a database?

Welcome to the 21st century. The U.S. Government absolutely know about his DV application because the U.S. has computers and his DV application is on a U.S. database.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.