clairdelune

Gathering I-751 Evidence

47 posts in this topic

Hello,

Should our friends send us the letter by email? Or by mail?

Thanks

Seeing as how they need to print it out and sign it in front of a notary, I don't think email would work very well.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Hello,

Should our friends send us the letter by email? Or by mail?

Thanks

I think they can go either way, but they will have to sign the letter (Unless I am totally mistaken).

So, probably, it is best to have your friends write a letter, sign it and mail it to you or give to you...

I still did not get our friends to do the affidavits for us. Thank you everybody who replied for your input!

:star:

• 9 months later...

We have to do my husband's change of status in May and I plan on going to my utility, telephone, etc. and just get a "client history" which will show the billing and payments for the last year. I'm pretty sure I can get the ones for the year before also. That cuts down on a lot of paper. Good luck to all changing status!

We have to do my husband's change of status in May and I plan on going to my utility, telephone, etc. and just get a "client history" which will show the billing and payments for the last year. I'm pretty sure I can get the ones for the year before also. That cuts down on a lot of paper. Good luck to all changing status!

WANDA - USA

IAN - ENGLAND

Sept 3,2001 sent 1st email from personals ad

July 2002 - sent in for fiance visa.

Feb 14, 2004 GOT MARRIED!!

Feb 2004 - Adjustment of Status, Employment App. and Advance Parole papers.

May 2004 -family emergency. Return ticket for June.

September 2004 Applications denied.

October 2004 Sent I130

January 18, 2005 - I130 has been approved by email

Feb 8 - Canary Islands for our 1st anniversary!

February 23, 2005 - Affidavit of support payment

February 28, 2005 - DS 3032 sent to Portsmouth NH

March 24, 2005 - received IV bill - sent out same day

March 25, 2005 - NVC received payment

April 4/7, 2005 received I864 papers to fill out/mailed it

April 26, 2005 - Received DS230 - sent in same day

May 11, 2005 - phone call to NVC says our case was completed

May 23, 2005 - case complete and sent to London

May 27, 2005 - letter from NVC - case sent to London

June 20, 2005 - received an email from the London Consulate -

August 1, 2005 interview at 10:30 AM

VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!

August 8 - he's flying HOME - YEAH!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

well I sent in....

copy of baby's hospital certificate

copy of baby's death certificate

copy of rental agreement

copy of car insurance

copy of 401K that states that I am the primary beneficiary

copy of health care showing that I am covered under hubby's health care insurance

copy of one gas bill

copy of one phone bill

copy of one electric bill

copy of one cable bill

copy of bank statements

copy of paper showing that hubby added me to his bank account

Some envelopes with both our names and addresses...

for the utilities etc.. I just copied the first page that had both of our names on it....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• 2 years later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi friends,

I am going to file I-175 very soon, and I am getting very nervous and overwhelmed by gethering the evidence. I read through the posts here, which are really helpful. However, I still have my concerns.

"1) Proof of joint ownership or leasing of property (real or personal) such as house deeds, property tax statements, car titles, car registration documents, etc."

OMG! We don't have any joint ownership or leasing of property. We are living with my hubby's family, the house is under the name of my mother-in-law, so is the mortgage. The car titles and registration is only of his name since I hate driving, don't metion to have a driving license. The car insurance is under his sister's name.

"2) Proof of joint financial information (bank statements in both your names, joint credit card accounts, etc)"

We have joint bank accounts, but different credit card accounts since I need to build my own credit here.

"3) Proof of beneficiary status (having each as a beneficiary on life insurance, 401k's etc. Wills made naming each as executor, medical and financial powers of attorney for each other, etc.)"

He bought me a life insurance before I came to USA, and the insurance is still valid. But we have different health insurance.

"4) Tax returns filed as married (seperately or jointly) If separately, they both should have the same address"

We do have joint tax returns in these two years.

I am also going to have one of our friends and one of our relatives as our affidavits. And we have some daily pictures.

I know that cases vary. I think mine is very special. I am still a student now, so I am all dependent on my hubby. However, I have to go to school in another city considering the cost and quality of the school, which means we have to live separately sometimes. I come home whenever I have school holidays, and he goes to see me wheven he has free days from work. We have joint utility bill in the place that we rented, but the lease is only on my name. Do I need to provide an extra sheet stating the address I reside during school days? Is it a bad situation for us? My friend said we should save the bus tickets for record, but unfortunately we did not. We did not realize it until recent days. I am really worried about this :crying: . Do you guys have any idea for this?

I am gonna thank you a million for any advice! And good luck to all applicants. :star:

Filed: Other Timeline

People, people, people . . .

I know we all come from different areas of the world. Some of us may have grown up in a democracy, others may have been tortured by the Stasi, the Russian Maffia, or some Islamic terrorist group. Forget all that, okay?

Try to instill some common sense. Seriously.

There's an Immigration Officer, sitting in his/her cubicle. He/she has to read an x amount of I-751s a day. The officer will open the file and sees that you filed jointly. That's 75% approval right then and there. The next step is to read the cover letter and find out who you guys are. A look at some photos, a check for jointly filed tax returns, joint property documentation, perhaps some phone bills, and it's done. 100%. Next case.

If you are truly married, if your marriage is real, you don't have to worry about anything. You have been approved 2 years ago. They just need to know if you guys are still a couple, living happily together. If they really have doubts and would like to get more paperwork, they'll let you know.

If your marriage is a sham, however, you NEED to make sure that you cover every corner of this process. Fill up your file and don't forget afidavits from your pastor, telling the IO that you even treat your cat and your dog like a favorite child.

To illustrate this in two cases:

1) Teacher tells you to write a 5-to-10 page essay. You write 10 pages to get an A. You may have gotten an A with only 6 pages, who knows, but you wanted to be absoutely shure. Fine. But if you submit 50 pages, you won't get an A.

2) Speed limit is 65 miles per hour. If you drive 56 nobody will pull you over. If you drive 69 you may experience the same. But if you drive 120, you'll asking for trouble.

Hope that helps. Give' em something to ease their quick decision in your favor, but don't bullshit them by drowning them in paperwork. If I were an IO officer and somebody sends me an 2-inch thick file, I'll call 'em in for an interview. What's wrong with this person, I would wonder . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

I know we all come from different areas of the world. Some of us may have grown up in a democracy, others may have been tortured by the Stasi, the Russian Maffia, or some Islamic terrorist group. Forget all that, okay?

There's an Immigration Officer, sitting in his/her cubicle. He/she has to read an x amount of I-751s a day. The officer will open the file and sees that you filed jointly. That's 75% approval right then and there. The next step is to read the cover letter and find out who you guys are. A look at some photos, a check for jointly filed tax returns, joint property documentation, perhaps some phone bills, and it's done. 100%. Next case.

If you are truly married, if your marriage is real, you don't have to worry about anything. You have been approved 2 years ago. They just need to know if you guys are still a couple, living happily together. If they really have doubts and would like to get more paperwork, they'll let you know.

If your marriage is a sham, however, you NEED to make sure that you cover every corner of this process. Fill up your file and don't forget afidavits from your pastor, telling the IO that you even treat your cat and your dog like a favorite child.

1) Teacher tells you to write a 5-to-10 page essay. You write 10 pages to get an A. You may have gotten an A with only 6 pages, who knows, but you wanted to be absoutely shure. Fine. But if you submit 50 pages, you won't get an A.

2) Speed limit is 65 miles per hour. If you drive 56 nobody will pull you over. If you drive 69 you may experience the same. But if you drive 120, you'll asking for trouble.

Hope that helps. Give' em something to ease their quick decision in your favor, but don't bullshit them by drowning them in paperwork. If I were an IO officer and somebody sends me an 2-inch thick file, I'll call 'em in for an interview. What's wrong with this person, I would wonder . . .

Hi there,

What you wrote is really cheering! :thumbs:

After reading it, I put down a ton-weighted stone in my mind. Right, we should not have been worrying that much. Just follow the instruction and show your love. Fear nothing. Good luck to every one!!

Nice post Just Bob. I was reading prior posts and thinking that some are just asking for trouble.

My wife works for the government and I showed her some of these posts. Her reaction is that a) you are slowing down your application needlessly (and annoying the hell out of the officer in the process) and B) you are raising the concept of 'they protest too much me thinks', maybe i need to get them in for an interview to see why they are going to such extremes. If you think the poor guy/gal reading through 500-1,000 pages will thank you for it and speed your application through the system I think you are much mistaken. Everything in moderation...

An earlier post stated...

...The document should cover the period from the date of your marriage to the filing of this petition. Curious some people don't seem to take this literally"

I for one do NOT take it literally. Where do you draw the line??! Submitting evidence for every month? Why not every day, or even every hour? This is common sense people. If you have a lease for 2008 and 2009 that DOES cover the period. A phone bill for each quarter or half year seems reasonable and DOES cover the period in question. Covering the period simply means it traverses the period from start to end, not that it must include every day or month.

This overkill of information is akin to being pulled over for speeding and when asked for the drivers license and proof of insurance producing not only your insurance card but the whole policy, several photos of the insurance salesman that sold it to you and his home telephone number. At this point you would likely be asked to step out of the car, slowly!

Phew, with that off my chest...OK, I will be including leases for both of the past years, half a dozen photos taken at 4-5 month intervals, a car lease, two years worth of tax returns and two sworn affidavits and finally about 6-8 joint bank statements that traverse the period in question.

On the photo thing, I am including them as I have different hair lengths, weight ( :angry: ) and tan in several of them so they are a great way to show a span of time, at least for me.

Good luck to all

Paul

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

Very well put. I did not send in half the amount of evidence that other people sent, and I was approved without a hitch. The officer who considers our cases does not want to spend an hour perusing an inch-thick pile of paperwork. Just make sure it covers the length of your marriage, shows sharing of assets / finances, and shows that you live together. Bank statements, IRS correspondence / tax returns, utility bills, mortgage statements and leasehold agreements are effective. Keep it succinct, list the contents in your cover letter, and you should be fine. I did not send any affidavits, by the way.

02-18-2009 - I-751 filed (Removal of Conditions)

02-20-2009 - NOA1

03-20-2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03-23-2009 - Touched

06-22-2009 - Removal of Conditions approved (via USPS)

07-01-2009 - Email from USCIS advising of approval

07-06-2009 - Received 10-yr Permanent Resident Card

02-18-2010 - Eligible to file for naturalization

----------------------------------

Disclaimer! Any advice I give is purely informal, and is not legal advice.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Great post Bob.

I am also trying to avoid sending many documents. However, since in the last 2 years my husband and I have lived in 3 different addresses, I am making sure to include one bill (either financial, utility or credit card) to show we both lived together in each of the addresses. I mean 1 bill for each address to prove joint residence. We only have both or our names in the same lease at our current apartment.

And for other stuff, we do have a lot of financial accounts together. I am sending one copy (mostly only the front page, not every single page) for different time periods. Ex: one checking/banking statement for 2007, one investment account statement for 2008 and one credit card statement for 2009. And a partial copy of our joint tax returns for past 2 years.

And few of our e-tickets showing we traveled together. Same thing, one for each year (even though we probably traveled together like 12 times last 2 years).

So, my point is that it is important to show different things for different time periods. Don't really mean you need to send one bank statement for every single month, or a full telephone bill. Keep those in case you are called for an interview.

And good luck people.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello friends. I hope my insight helps you out. The question is not how much evidence you need; it is much better a little bit of everything where it is involved quality of evidence. Please do not carry out to the interview too much information or evidence; remember something, YOU CANNOT GIVE THE USCIS OFFICER THE KNIFE THAT HE/SHE IS GOING TO STAB YOU!, please analyze and check everything what you are going to show to the officer. If you show too much, the officer is going to have much more evidence to ask about. The best balance is carry out a little bit everything that they ask for, but not too much. Please study all the evidence that you are going to carry. you can carry out to the interview the whole different evidence, do not carry too much photos neither. They can ask you everything from the photos, too. I recommend you the best balance with good evidence, a little bit from each important evidence and the best of all preparation and review of each evidence that you are going to give them. Thanks and I hope this insight can help you out on something

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello guys. I hope my insight helps out on something. The fact is not to go to the USCIS interview with 10 files of 1000 papers. Remember something, the idea is to carry out good evidence, but not too much in number. Remember that the USCIS officer if he/she wants try to probe you with much more questions exactly pulled out from the evidences presented, that is the reason you cannot show to the officer too much photos, just with 4 or 5 good pictures is fine. The officer can begin to attack from the whole files of evidence that he or she has on his power. The result is the interview much more difficult and a risk of denied or pending application. I suggest PLEASE CARRY OUT TO THE INTERVIEW GOOD EVIDENCE ABOUT EVERYTHING BUT NOT TOO MUCH IN QUANTITY, IT IS MUCH BETTER IN QUALITY AND DIVERSITY OF EVIDENCE. ANOTHER THING, PLEASE STUDY AND REVIEW WHAT YOU ARE SHOWING TO THE OFFICER, IN CASE OF PICTURES PLEASE REVIEW EVERYTHING OR EVERYONE ON THE PICTURE, NOT ALWAYS BUT SOMETIMES, THE OFFICER CAN ASK QUESTION FROM THE WHOLE EVIDENCE THAT YOU ARE GIVING TO HIM. THAT IS THE REASON YOU CANNOT GIVE THE OFFICER NOT TOO MUCH INFORMATION, SO THERE IS much more POSSIBILITY OF MISTAKE FROM THE COUPLE BECAUSE YOU COME SOMEHOW NERVOUS TO THE INTEVIEW. Thanks and bye,

• 8 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I am sending in our stuff next week. Here is what's inside the envelope:

1. Copy of their letter to my wife reminding her to file I-751. It shows a case number, maybe they can find us faster

2. Cover letter with attached items detailed.

3. The completed I-751 form, signed and a photocopy of her GC, front and back.

4. copies ( just first pages ) joint tax return, bank accounts, property tax bill, house title with both our names.

5. copies of both our driver licenses showing same address.

6. copy of car insurance showing both names, both cars.

7. copies of 3 credit cards, 1 each for her and me.

8. A couple of e-tickets.

9. 7 photos, one for each year we are together.

10. Of course, the check for $ 545.00.

Let's see what happens. We will keep you posted.

Timeline

I am sending in our stuff next week. Here is what's inside the envelope:

1. Copy of their letter to my wife reminding her to file I-751. It shows a case number, maybe they can find us faster

2. Cover letter with attached items detailed.

3. The completed I-751 form, signed and a photocopy of her GC, front and back.

4. copies ( just first pages ) joint tax return, bank accounts, property tax bill, house title with both our names.

5. copies of both our driver licenses showing same address.

6. copy of car insurance showing both names, both cars.

7. copies of 3 credit cards, 1 each for her and me.

8. A couple of e-tickets.

9. 7 photos, one for each year we are together.

10. Of course, the check for $ 545.00.

Let's see what happens. We will keep you posted.

Hi YOUTOO,

This thread is 4 years old and last one was posted 7 months ago.

You'd better make your own post or you can start "May 2010 I-751 filers" thread...wink.gif

Timeline

Hi YOUTOO,

This thread is 4 years old and last one was posted 7 months ago.

You'd better make your own post or you can start "May 2010 I-751 filers" thread...wink.gif

Well, looks like May filers thread has already started here... http://www.visajourn...0-i-751-filers/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.