matrix66

Leaving country before citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a quick question. My mom is suppose to be getting her citizenship interview date in next 2 months. She has been thru the citizenship interview once already but didn't get to pass it, as she was not good enough in English language part of the test. The immigration office has given her another chance to appear for testing but we know it would be useless as her understanding of English is not good enough. We are going to submit a request with USCIS office letting them know that we are withdrawing our application for her citizenship.

Now, my mom needs to travel out of USA in first week of September to take care of an urgent matter and would not be able return before Feb 2016. Our concern is if that is going to make her permanent resident status void or in other words if her green card will become useless. She has been living in USA for more than 3 years and has been in the country more than 70% of the time.

Please advise. Thank you so much in advance.

She will not lose her green card if that is what you are worried about.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Hi Newacct &Jose&Eli,

Your quick replies are much appreciated. My mom is not gonna be pursuing further for her citizenship. And, she may have to stay abroad longer than 6 months, (7 months to be precise). Witht that being said, our concern is that if that will impact her perm resident status or if she'll lose her perm resident status?

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

From the USCIS site http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

Just have her purchase a return flight, and especially a re-entry permit to show she wants to come back.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

From the USCIS site http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Just have her purchase a return flight, and especially a re-entry permit to show she wants to come back.

A re-entry permit is not needed since she will be staying for less than a year. She can travel and return in her 7 month trip she'll be fine. The most that is going to happen is she'll be asked by CBP the reason for staying that long. If she stays more than 1 year, then that's where there's gonna be trouble and a re-entry permit must be carried to avoid that as her residency will be deemed abandoned. By the way withdrawi the N-400 application has no bearing on her permanent resident status. Let her book her trip and go.

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Hi Newacct &Jose&Eli,

Your quick replies are much appreciated. My mom is not gonna be pursuing further for her citizenship. And, she may have to stay abroad longer than 6 months, (7 months to be precise). Witht that being said, our concern is that if that will impact her perm resident status or if she'll lose her perm resident status?

She will not lose her LPR status, but she will break her continuous residency which means all her time in the US counts for 364 days towards becoming a USC. She will need 4 more years plus a day if applying based on the 5 year rule or if married to a USC she will need 2 years plus one day before she can apply for citizenship again based on the 3 year rule. You might want to ask her how important getting her USC is and if she is willing to wait if she should be outsid ethe US for more than 6 months for his trip.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.