Jimbob89

Newly registered, needing a little help...

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

First of all, Hello to everyone. This website has been a massive help so far :)

I have a question and would love some help.

Me (UK Citizen) and my girlfriend (US Citizen) are planning on applying for a K1 visa as we plan to be engaged soon enough. At the moment we are both living in New Zealand, Im on a work visa and she is on a partnership visa. My question is, is it possible to apply for the K1 whilst we are both in NZ? We are not residents here as this was only used as a filler until we can both live and work in the states. Is there anyway we can file everything from here?

We where planning to have everything approved by April 2017?

Thank you very much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I have no idea whether or not you can file from there, but if you file anytime soon and there are no problems with your case, you would most likely be approved way before April 2017...like, way before. The K1 visa is good for six months after it is received, so don't start too soon if unless you plan to both be here before then ready to apply for a green card.

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

I will only answer regarding the approval timing.

All newly filed applications are now being processed by the California Service Center. You can expect fast processing here, within a few months for an uncomplicated case, add on a few more for the rest of the consulate specific process. You could certainly expect being finished, if you filed now by the end of the year, early next year.

Are you staying in NZ until 2017? The goal of the K1 is to marry and adjust status in the USA and not in another country.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

We plan on staying in nz until i can legally move to the states. April 2017 was a rough estimate as i have a good job here, it gives us time to save some more, go through the process and also does not rush us into getting engaged :) I would be more than happy to have to travel back to london or wherever for the interview and medical, im just hoping we can do all the paperwork from here :)

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

As long as you are both legally residing in NZ, you can process for your K-1 visa there.

Be mindful that your fiancée will need to meet the U.S. domicile and financial requirements of the I-134. Your NZ income will not count.

Best of luck

Timeline

We plan on staying in nz until i can legally move to the states. April 2017 was a rough estimate as i have a good job here, it gives us time to save some more, go through the process and also does not rush us into getting engaged :) I would be more than happy to have to travel back to london or wherever for the interview and medical, im just hoping we can do all the paperwork from here :)

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Don't want to rush to get engage? You do understand that you are seeking a K-1 fiancé visa requiring you to marry within 90 days of entering the U.S., right? When you file the I-129f, you have to send in statements that you intend to marry.

Timeline

Great news, thanks!

We actually plan on having her sister sponsor me on behalf of her. Will this be an issue?

This is a question for NZ couples since its U.S. Embassy specific. Some embassies accept cosponsors for the I-134, others do not.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Shouldn't be a problem, we filed from Canada. The hardest thing we faced was domicile, I had to fight it out with the interviewer a little bit. Just make sure you'll remain at the same address so that you can get all your papers. Maybe consider having your mail go to a family members address in the US so you don't have to wait for snail mail to arrive. They can just scan you everything.

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Timeline

Thats exactly what we intended to do with mail :) can i ask, are you from the uk? Like where both of you living in canada and none of you where citizens there? Also this may be silly but what do you mean by domicile? Thanks for your help!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thats exactly what we intended to do with mail :) can i ask, are you from the uk? Like where both of you living in canada and none of you where citizens there? Also this may be silly but what do you mean by domicile? Thanks for your help!!!

I'm Canadian, the petitioner is a USC. We met online and he moved to Canada. Originally he was in Canada on a student visa, then a work visa. "Domicile: The country that a person treats as their permanent home, or lives in and has a substantial connection with."

So, it was hard for us because he had been out of the US for 6 years living with me. He was only 19 when he left, so it was a struggle to prove that he had intentions on going back. We showed that his work visa was expiring and that he had a job offer and they still didn't want to let us be approved. We were stuck in advanced processing for a couple weeks while they went over everything again.

In hindsight, once we got the NOA1 he probably should have gone back to the US to set up a household, bank account, etc...but it all worked out in the end :) Just make sure you can prove you have assets, bank accounts, strong ties, and you should be fine.

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.