iloverotties

Job requirements and age gap (k1 visa )

14 posts in this topic

Hello I have some questions about one of the requirements of a k-1 visa application, let me start of by giving some background info. I am a 19 year old male, my fiance is 29, there is a 10 year gap between us, we meet all of the requirements, all of the proofs, the only thing is that I dont have a job at the moment. I am looking for a job, this would be my first job, my question is, once I have a job can i apply for the visa??. do you think there would be a problem because of my age and because this would be my first job even though I meet all of the requirements and proofs?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

Who is the USC, if the 29 yo is the USC and is working then what you do is not important. Your income/assets are not considered in the process.

02 Aug 2012 -- Met online

23 Feb 2013 -- Relations began (L)

19 May 2014 -- Visited! :luv:

26 Jun 2014 -- Engaged :dancing:

15 Oct 2014 -- I-129F package finished and mailed to Dallas

17 Oct 2014 -- NOA1 (email) TSC

22 Oct 2014 -- ARN updated

13 May 2015 -- NOA2 (email) :dancing:

19 May 2015 -- NOA2 Hardcopy

4 June 2015 -- NVC received (I think lol) Case number assigned.

11th June 2015 -- NVC sent to Bridgetown

16th June 2015 -- Bridgetown received

17th June 2015 - PCKT3 received
30th June 2015 - PCKT4 received

9th July 2015 - Medical (too many needles :/ )

21st July 2015 - Interview date :goofy:

10th August 2015 - Approved

12th August 2015 - Issued

13th August 2015 - Visa in hand via DHL

24th August 2015 - US arrival (POE MIA)

I am the beneficiary

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

more important is the income

needs to fit the 125% over poverty guidlines

consider the fees you will be paying

have you considered going to UAE and marrying?

to do the CR 1 which would allow spouse a green card faster to work in the US

the time it would take for processing would also give you time to establish a job and show adequate income and/or attend college at the same time giving you a better chance for decent job

work and learn while you wait for spouse

Are you the US citizen?

you are a male so are you muslim?

IS she muslim?

as a muslim woman can not marry outside her religion

a muslim man can but not the women

Edited by Adil & Jeanne

I am the petitioner ( 19 year old male) U.S citizen)
my fiance is 29 year old female
I am wondering if I have to have a certain time working in a job to meet the requirments.
can I apply for k1 visa and meet the job requirments as soon as i get a job? or do I have to wait?

I am from the U.S

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I am the petitioner ( 19 year old male) U.S citizen)

my fiance is 29 year old female

I am wondering if I have to have a certain time working in a job to meet the requirments.

can I apply for k1 visa and meet the job requirments as soon as i get a job? or do I have to wait?

I am from the U.S

Hi,

Here is the straight dope. The US Government wants to see a reliable and steady income that makes it unlikely that the beneficiary will go on welfare. An income is not really reliable or steady if you have only been working a few weeks at a first job at age 19 with no prior work experience. Collect paystubs for a few months before even trying to meet the I-134 requirements.

You need to have spent enough time at your job to make it look like its a reliable and steady income. If you don't meet this requirement, then you are wasting time and money pursuing a K-1 visa.

For two people, you need to make around $19,912. For a 40 hours work week for 50 weeks (people get sick and take vacation so we don't go with 52 weeks), you would need to make around $10/hour.

My suggest to you is to get your finances in order before filing for the K-1. You need at least a few months of paystubs by the time the I-134 Affidavit of Support is required.

Best of luck

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

in case I dont want to wait a couple of months, can i get a sponsor? what are the requirements for the sponsor?

Depends on the US Embassy. In some countries, you can have a co-sponsor for the I-134. In others, you can not.

You still haven't disclosed which country your fiancee is from.

If you don't answers the questions being posed to you, you are not going to get good answers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Welcome, OP. I'm from Salisbury, NC haha. Anyway, being young without any work history, it would be wise to have a co-sponsor. As others have said, not every country allows a co-sponsor, but I don't see that being a problem with Costa Rica (don't quote me on that...) Your co-sponsor must meet the requriements alone, meaning he / she cannot combine his / her income with someone else's to meet the requirement. I have also heard that a co-sponsor is much more likely to be accepted if it is a close family member (mother, father, brother, sister) as opposed to a friend.

Also, you will need to show proof that you have both met in the last two years, and convincing evidence of a bona fide relationship. I am not sure if the age gap will have any bearing on the outcome of the petition.

As others have stated, it would be good to edit your profile to reflect what country your fiancée is from (Costa Rica).

Good luck on your journey :)

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

more important is the income

needs to fit the 125% over poverty guidlines

consider the fees you will be paying

have you considered going to UAE and marrying?

to do the CR 1 which would allow spouse a green card faster to work in the US

the time it would take for processing would also give you time to establish a job and show adequate income and/or attend college at the same time giving you a better chance for decent job

work and learn while you wait for spouse

Are you the US citizen?

you are a male so are you muslim?

IS she muslim?

as a muslim woman can not marry outside her religion

a muslim man can but not the women

She can marry who ever she wants, it's not on you to tell.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.