chilebean

Question on the CR-1 (split and merge)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I am a US citizen living in Chile and married to my husband who is from Chile. We want to move to the US ASAP (even though we know we will have to wait sometime before things get processed and what not) and we were married here in Chile. Now that I am seeing there may be another option for us, does the CR-1 still apply instead of the K3? I was told to complete the K3… but can I do the CR-1 instead?

Also, for the K3 do I need to complete form G-325A for both of us? (When it asks for the last address outside of the US for more than 1 year I put my current one where I live in Chile correct?)

Any other insights, tips, or info would be GREATLY appreciated! :) Thank you! :idea::D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am a US citizen living in Chile and married to my husband who is from Chile. We want to move to the US ASAP (even though we know we will have to wait sometime before things get processed and what not) and we were married here in Chile. Now that I am seeing there may be another option for us, does the CR-1 still apply instead of the K3? I was told to complete the K3… but can I do the CR-1 instead?

Also, for the K3 do I need to complete form G-325A for both of us? (When it asks for the last address outside of the US for more than 1 year I put my current one where I live in Chile correct?)

Any other insights, tips, or info would be GREATLY appreciated! :) Thank you! :idea::D

You will file the I-130 regardless as this must be filed before you file the K-3; the K-3 has not been doing anyone any favors although it doesn't hurt to submit either since it doesn't cost you any money after filing the I-130. Mine (K-3) was actually never approved. So long story short, you need to file the I-130. When your I-130 is approved, it will become the CR-1 visa if you have been married less than 2 years or IR-1 if more than 2 years.

Oh and yes, G-325 A will be filled out for both of you and you will use your address in Chile for yourself as well as your husband.

Timeline

What are causes for denial of I-130s? So there have been issues with the K3 visas recently? Id love more info Im just entering the visa process and started the forms but I have to get my stuff together.

A few more quick ? -

1) Can you use your passport instead of birth certificate (I don't have mine here with me) or do I need the birth certificate?

2) Alien registration number - How do I obtain this?

3) Am I able to translate doccuments as I am bilingual in both languages?

4) Affidavits can be from anyone correct? EX Chilean friend who introduced us and my mom?

5) How do I pay for the I-130 before sending it and show proof of payment? I am in Chile so I cannot include a check or money order… can I pay online with credit card? Where do I go to do this and does this HAVE to be done before I send the package out?

6) The CR-1 visa I noticed states that I MUST be living in the US and I am not, either way Ill have to apply for the CR-1?

7) Do you recommend having a table of contents with the documents being sent?

Thanks so much!

You will file the I-130 regardless as this must be filed before you file the K-3; the K-3 has not been doing anyone any favors although it doesn't hurt to submit either since it doesn't cost you any money after filing the I-130. Mine (K-3) was actually never approved. So long story short, you need to file the I-130. When your I-130 is approved, it will become the CR-1 visa if you have been married less than 2 years or IR-1 if more than 2 years.

Oh and yes, G-325 A will be filled out for both of you and you will use your address in Chile for yourself as well as your husband.

Timeline

What are causes for denial of I-130s? So there have been issues with the K3 visas recently? Id love more info Im just entering the visa process and started the forms but I have to get my stuff together.

A few more quick ? -

1) Can you use your passport instead of birth certificate (I don't have mine here with me) or do I need the birth certificate?

4) Affidavits can be from anyone correct? EX Chilean friend who introduced us and my mom?

5) How do I pay for the I-130 before sending it and show proof of payment? I am in Chile so I cannot include a check or money order… can I pay online with credit card? Where do I go to do this and does this HAVE to be done before I send the package out?

6) The CR-1 visa I noticed states that I MUST be living in the US and I am not, either way Ill have to apply for the CR-1?

8) Top of the G-325A form it asks for a file number and has an A in front, what do I write?

Thanks so much!

Timeline

However I read that the CR-1 (Ive been married less than 2 years and I married in the country where my husband is from. We live here together in Chile neither one of us is in the US). Is it possible to still apply for the CR-1?

So, do I apply for the CR-1 or go with the K-3 and then get routed into the CR1? Im so CONFUSED! AH!

A few more quick ? as I have been completing the I-130 and other documents to go with it-

Thanks so much!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

A few more quick ? -

8) Top of the G-325A form it asks for a file number and has an A in front, what do I write?

Thanks so much!

Those are great questions and ones i'm not equipped to answer as I am fairly new to the process as well. I'm sure within a short while some of the veterans of the site will be willing and able to answer your questions. Read through the forums as well, you can get a lot of questions answered by reading others' experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Three posts split from other member's threads and merged here. PLease do not ask questions about your own case in other member's threads. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

However I read that the CR-1 (Ive been married less than 2 years and I married in the country where my husband is from. We live here together in Chile neither one of us is in the US). Is it possible to still apply for the CR-1?

So, do I apply for the CR-1 or go with the K-3 and then get routed into the CR1? Im so CONFUSED! AH!

A few more quick ? as I have been completing the I-130 and other documents to go with it-

Thanks so much!

Answers:

• You can file the I-130 to begin the visa process at any time. You will have to show that you have either maintained or show intent to reestablish domicile in the US at a later point in the process.
  • You as the petitioner don't apply for anything, you file the petition. Forget about the K3, current USCIS and State Department procedures have rendered them virtually unobtainable making issuance of one a rare occurrence.
  1. Yes, you can use your passport, you must photocopy all pages as well as the covers (front and back).
  2. It will automatically be generated by USCIS, it's not something you obtain prior. When filling out the forms, write "none" in the blocks calling for an A number.
  3. Yes, there is no rule that says you cannot translate and sign the required attestation statement yourself.
  4. Affidavits carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file and are not a requirement. Skip them in favor of evidence of time spent together in-person. If you ultimately do wish to include affidavits, have people who have interacted with you both as a couple on some level write them.
  5. The I-130 fee cannot be paid online nor can it be paid by credit card. Payment is required to be included with the file or the file will not be accepted. What others do in a situation similar to your is to send the file to a trusted relative or friend in the US and have that person write out the form of payment, drop it in the package and send the package on. You can reimburse the person later.
  6. You don't apply for the visa (the foreign spouse does that) and you don't have to deal with the domicile issue until later in the process (see my bullet points above).
  7. Simply list the contents of the package in chronological order of appearance on a cover letter. No need for a table of contents.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.