Lifehastomoveon

CR1 Condition removal after divorce

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Here is my sad story., I got married in India 2 years ago. I came to US on september 2014 through CR1 visa. Ever since I got here, I have been facing some domestic violence like verbal abuse, physical abuse by my mother in law and husband. Now My husband wants divorce. He already filed for divorce. I was kicked out of the house. I am now staying with my friend. I dont have a job, cant afford an attorney. My husband withdrew the affidavit of support in order to prevent from me suing him for support. He holds back all my important documents such as green card, ssn, passport, driver licence,etc.. Literally I am now abandoned by my husband and family. What should I do for securing my green card status? Any precautionary actions? Is that possible for my husband to do or say anything to USCIS to deport me? Can I apply for duplicate green card, ssn card, driver licence, passport if they are destroyed by my husband? When can i remove the condition to get the permanent green card? what are all the proofs or evidences needed for condition removal? since He withdrew the affidavit of support , Does it affect anywhere in condition removal process? My marriage is a legitimate marriage.

Thank you.

I-130 USCIS

NOA1: 08/15/2013

NOA1 Hardcopy: 08/22/2013

Case transferred to CSC: 02/10/2014

Case transfer Hardcopy: 02/19/2014

NOA2: 03/05/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy: 03/10/2014

NVC:

Case arrived at NVC: 03/13/2014

Case number,IIN,BIN assigned and email id given: 04/14/2014

DS261 Available and Completed: 04/18/2014

DS261 accepted and received instruction: 04/21/2014

AOS fee paid and Payment status is "IN PROCESS": 04/21/2014

AOS Payment status shows PAID: 04/24/2014

AOS mailed to NVC: 04/24/2014

IV fee paid and payment status shows " IN PROCESS" : 04/25/2014

IV fee payment status shows PAID: 04/29/2014

Approved IV packet and DS260: 05/20/2014

Interview Date(Got from NVC by call on 05/30/2014): 07/15/2014

Received Interview Letter from NVC by email: 06/02/2014.

Biometrics done at VAC,Chennai: 06/16/2014

Medicals done at Apollo,Chennai: 06/17/2014

VISA APPROVED at Mumbai embassy: 07/15/2014

VISA Pick up at Chennai VFC: 07/18/2014

Port Of Entry: 9/4/2014

SSN Arrived: 10/6/2014

Green Card Arrived: 10/22/2014

Case Complete: 05/27/2014

Removal of Conditional - Joint Waiver/Divorced

Green Card Expired: 9/04/2016

NOA Date: 7/13/2016

Biometric Date: 8/2/2016

I-551 Samping: 7/7/2017 at Dallas Field Office

I-751 Approved: 10/07/2017 (USCIS status: New card is being produced)

New Green Card Received:  

Filed: Timeline

He cannot "withdraw the Affidavit of Support" after you already became a permanent resident, which happened when you entered the US on your immigrant visa. He will continue to be subject to the Affidavit of Support regardless of the divorce.

He cannot do anything to your immigration status. That is between you and the government.

Yes, you can get replacement passport, driver's license, Green Card, Social Security card, etc. because it has been basically "stolen" from you.

You should file Removal of Conditions when the divorce is final, or within the 90 days before your green card expires (which is 2 years after you entered), whichever is earlier. You should start collecting ASAP evidence that the marriage was genuine at the time you got the green card, and up until you separated.

Edited by newacct

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits forum. One post containing content that evades the VJ language filter removed.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

He cannot "withdraw the Affidavit of Support" after you already became a permanent resident, which happened when you entered the US on your immigrant visa. He will continue to be subject to the Affidavit of Support regardless of the divorce.

He cannot do anything to your immigration status. That is between you and the government.

Yes, you can get replacement passport, driver's license, Green Card, Social Security card, etc. because it has been basically "stolen" from you.

You should file Removal of Conditions when the divorce is final, or within the 90 days before your green card expires (which is 2 years after you entered), whichever is earlier. You should start collecting ASAP evidence that the marriage was genuine at the time you got the green card, and up until you separated.

i am agree with him you just have to strong

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Here is my sad story., I got married in India 2 years ago. I came to US on september 2014 through CR1 visa. Ever since I got here, I have been facing some domestic violence like verbal abuse, physical abuse by my mother in law and husband. Now My husband wants divorce. He already filed for divorce. I was kicked out of the house. I am now staying with my friend. I dont have a job, cant afford an attorney. My husband withdrew the affidavit of support in order to prevent from me suing him for support. He holds back all my important documents such as green card, ssn, passport, driver licence,etc.. Literally I am now abandoned by my husband and family. What should I do for securing my green card status? Any precautionary actions? Is that possible for my husband to do or say anything to USCIS to deport me? Can I apply for duplicate green card, ssn card, driver licence, passport if they are destroyed by my husband? When can i remove the condition to get the permanent green card? what are all the proofs or evidences needed for condition removal? since He withdrew the affidavit of support , Does it affect anywhere in condition removal process? My marriage is a legitimate marriage.

Thank you.

This type of behavior unfortunately happens too often in Indian cultures - happened with a cousin of mine and it was a nightmare. But she got through it and now is a very happy person. What you need to do is decide if you want to stay in the US or if you want to go back home. If you want to stay, you have to take care of yourself. Your husband cannot withdraw his support but if you leave for India for good, then his obligation is over, so if you may want to stay in the US until the divorce is settled. You are also entitled to stay here in the US at least until September 2016 and you cannot be deported at all.

Go to the police and file a report that your husband is keeping your documents - that is stealing. Document as much as you can all the incidences of physical abuse by your husband and mother in law. If you have police reports or hospital records, that is best. If you have no document, write down things in a diary and save it to have a (very weak) evidence of current state of mind, and write down all the names of people with whom you spoke about the abuse (friends, neighbors, doctors, family). Make sure that you can stay with your friend for a little longer while you fix your situation.

Get a job, any job. It will help you a lot to get your mind out of this and make you stronger. Try to get a good family lawyer to dispute the divorce terms. Depending on the laws you may be able to get alimony, but you want a good lawyer to protect your rights. If you can't pay, see if you can borrow from your family or someone else. If you really can't pay, try to get a pro bono lawyer through woman's shelters or Catholic Charities.

Also get in the VAWA thread and see if they have any suggestions to document abuse and what the abuse gives you.

May 29th, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 1, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 4, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 20, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment

August 6, 2015 - I-131 approved

August 6, 2015 - Your card was ordered

August 7, 2015 - I-765 approved

August 20, 2015 - EAD received

Filed: Timeline

Your timeline suggests that you promptly applied for immigration after marriage and entered the USA shortly after receiving your visa. You will still have to prove that - within the scope of what was possible, given your husband's behavior - that you attempted to establish a bona fide marriage, including cohabitation, comingling of finances, and holding yourself out as husband and wife.

It is possible - I'm not saying likely, just that it's possible - that USCIS will at least consider the possibility that the whole thing was a set-up to get your green card and then make it look like your ex was an ******e and you just had to leave.

You should just focus on collecting documentation about how you tried to have a bona fide marriage. You don't have to be superwoman, working 12 hours a day and making all his favorite meals and giving him anything he wants in bed - to be "bona fide." You just have to show that at each stage of the marriage you at least tried to make it real.

Don't worry about the affidavit of support. He can't withdraw that. And I would concur about the documents he's stolen. Remember that many of those documents are technically the property of the government.

Timeline

Thank you so much for all your inputs. I am really in a critical situation. I am currently staying with my friend but will move to some womens shelter soon. literally i am homeless now. going through the divorce process. I have lot of evidences for bonafide marriage

I-130 USCIS

NOA1: 08/15/2013

NOA1 Hardcopy: 08/22/2013

Case transferred to CSC: 02/10/2014

Case transfer Hardcopy: 02/19/2014

NOA2: 03/05/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy: 03/10/2014

NVC:

Case arrived at NVC: 03/13/2014

Case number,IIN,BIN assigned and email id given: 04/14/2014

DS261 Available and Completed: 04/18/2014

DS261 accepted and received instruction: 04/21/2014

AOS fee paid and Payment status is "IN PROCESS": 04/21/2014

AOS Payment status shows PAID: 04/24/2014

AOS mailed to NVC: 04/24/2014

IV fee paid and payment status shows " IN PROCESS" : 04/25/2014

IV fee payment status shows PAID: 04/29/2014

Approved IV packet and DS260: 05/20/2014

Interview Date(Got from NVC by call on 05/30/2014): 07/15/2014

Received Interview Letter from NVC by email: 06/02/2014.

Biometrics done at VAC,Chennai: 06/16/2014

Medicals done at Apollo,Chennai: 06/17/2014

VISA APPROVED at Mumbai embassy: 07/15/2014

VISA Pick up at Chennai VFC: 07/18/2014

Port Of Entry: 9/4/2014

SSN Arrived: 10/6/2014

Green Card Arrived: 10/22/2014

Case Complete: 05/27/2014

Removal of Conditional - Joint Waiver/Divorced

Green Card Expired: 9/04/2016

NOA Date: 7/13/2016

Biometric Date: 8/2/2016

I-551 Samping: 7/7/2017 at Dallas Field Office

I-751 Approved: 10/07/2017 (USCIS status: New card is being produced)

New Green Card Received:  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.