10 posts in this topic

So basically I met my USC fiance last April 2015, planning to get married this September.

I entered on a B1/B2 visa last April. I'll be 6 months on October.

Questions:

1* For evidence for a bonafide marriage, should we start co-mingling our funds even if we're not married yet? I believe we can already get a joint bank / credit cards without a marriage documents yet. Or should we only open accounts for co-mingling of funds afer marriage?

2* Since my visa permits me to stay till October, is it advised that we submit documents for change of status before my status expires? I feel like we won't be ready to submit everything (including evidences for bona fide marriage) by then, so thinking of submitting everything by November, which at that time I'll already be out of status.

3* Will it pose any red flags about our age? My USC fiance is 21, I just turned 30. Both of us have never been married, no kids, no crimes whatsoever. Our age gap is almost 9 years.

4* Wont USCIS think our relationship is too soon to get married? Met in April, gonna be married by September.

5* We live on the same house, living with her parents and siblings, so there's no lease documents for us. What's a good alternative to prove this? I already have one bank account sending me my bank statements on this address.

6* After we get married (but before filing aos) Can we get a Life, health, or dental insurance? We'd like to submit these in aos submission as evidence for bonafide marriage. After I get my EAD we'll gather more and submit on the day of the interview. But since I won't have any SSN yet, not sure if there are insurance companies willing to give us insurance. Google'd it but it's not clear. Please advise.

7* What other Strong evidences can we gather before submission? (no ssn for beneficiary) Aside from pics and joint bank accounts.

Right now the evidences we can submit along with the AOS application are: (these im sure we can get)

* Joint bank account(s)

* Joint Credit Card(s)

* Joint Debit Cards - personalized, with our pic on the card :)

* Family plan on at&t

Are these enough for evidence when submitting AOS? All the others we'll bring in the interview especially when I get my AOS and SSN.

Sorry for all the Questions, and thank you so much for all the help. :)

Additional Questions:

* We thought and agreed for her to just keep her maiden name, as it comes with a lot of hassles as well (she's still in college with a part-time job) will it pose any red flags? This is no biggie for me but it might be for USCIS
* Obviously we need co-sponsorship, so her mom (who earns a lot) gladly volunteered to become the co-sponsor. Is this fine?

Filed: Timeline
So basically I met my USC fiance last April 2015, planning to get married this September.
Questions:
1* For evidence for a bonafide marriage, should we start co-mingling our funds even if we're not married yet? I believe we can already get a joint bank / credit cards without a marriage documents yet. Or should we only open accounts for co-mingling of funds afer marriage? Opening ASAP is good
2* Since my visa permits me to stay till October, is it advised that we submit documents for change of status before my status expires? I feel like we won't be ready to submit everything (including evidences for bona fide marriage) by then, so thinking of submitting everything by November, which at that time I'll already be out of status. Submit it ASAP. Whether you are in status or out of status doesn't matter for filing AOS. What evidence will you be missing? There isn't a fixed set of evidence needed for bona fide marriage.
3* Will it pose any red flags about our age? My USC fiance is 21, I just turned 30. Both of us have never been married, no kids, no crimes whatsoever. Our age gap is almost 9 years.
4* Wont USCIS think our relationship is too soon to get married? Met in April, gonna be married by September.
5* We live on the same house, living with her parents and siblings, so there's no lease documents for us. What's a good alternative to prove this? I already have one bank account sending me my bank statements on this address.
6* After we get married (but before filing aos) Can we get a Life, health, or dental insurance? We'd like to submit these in aos submission as evidence for bonafide marriage. After I get my EAD we'll gather more and submit on the day of the interview. But since I won't have any SSN yet, not sure if there are insurance companies willing to give us insurance. Google'd it but it's not clear. Please advise.
7* What other Strong evidences can we gather before submission? (no ssn for beneficiary) Aside from pics and joint bank accounts.
Right now the evidences we can submit along with the AOS application are: (these im sure we can get)
* Joint bank account(s)
* Joint Credit Card(s)
* Family plan on at&t
Are these enough for evidence when submitting AOS? All the others we'll bring in the interview especially when I get my AOS and SSN.

Additional Questions:

* We thought and agreed for her to just keep her maiden name, as it comes with a lot of hassles as well (she's still in college with a part-time job) will it pose any red flags? This is no biggie for me but it might be for USCIS Perfectly fine.
* Obviously we need co-sponsorship, so her mom (who earns a lot) gladly volunteered to become the co-sponsor. Is this fine? It is fine.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Questions:
1* For evidence for a bonafide marriage, should we start co-mingling our funds even if we're not married yet? I believe we can already get a joint bank / credit cards without a marriage documents yet. Or should we only open accounts for co-mingling of funds afer marriage?
You can open a joint account and you definitely should do this, it is a good evidence.
2* Since my visa permits me to stay till October, is it advised that we submit documents for change of status before my status expires? I feel like we won't be ready to submit everything (including evidences for bona fide marriage) by then, so thinking of submitting everything by November, which at that time I'll already be out of status.
It's ok. USCIS will forgive since you are adjustment of status based on the marriage with US citizen.
Not sure about this one. But 9 years is not that much and you guys should be fine as long as your marriage is real.
Things happens. No one can garantee what they would think, but I'm sure you are not the first one and not the last one. For example, we also got married after 6 months and we sent our paperwork 4 months later after marriage.
Try to get more financial docs with both your names. Car lease or financing, insurance, different bills, etc.
Honestly I have no idea. Sorry.
* Joint bank account(s)
* Joint Credit Card(s)
* Family plan on at&t
It's more than enough. Honestly I think it'd be better not to send all this stuff. You can send one of these papers (like a joint bank account) and few pics of you together, and bring all the rest to your AOS intervew.

Additional Questions:

* We thought and agreed for her to just keep her maiden name, as it comes with a lot of hassles as well (she's still in college with a part-time job) will it pose any red flags? This is no biggie for me but it might be for USCIS
I don't know, but I don't think that'd cause a denial. In modern world a lot of women prefer to keep their maiden name after marriage.
* Obviously we need co-sponsorship, so her mom (who earns a lot) gladly volunteered to become the co-sponsor. Is this fine?
It is completely fine.

__N-400__

May 5, 2020 Filed N-400 online 

May 6, 2020 NOA was sent to me. Estimated case completion time December 2020 (7 months)

May 11, 2020 A hard copy of NOA was received

December 22, 2020 Biometric reuse notice was issued

December 31, 2020 A hard copy of the biometric reuse notice was received

February 4, 2021 Received an update online that the interview is scheduled for March 16th

February 8, 2021 A hard copy of the interview letter was received

March 16, 2021 The interview was completed successfully 

March186 2021 The Oath Ceremony and the end of my immigration journey 😊

___ROC___

Spoiler

June 13, 2017 I-751 Package sent June 15, 2017 Package delivered to VSC

June 20, 2017 Check cashed June 22, 2017 NOA-1 received (dated June 16th)

July 7, 2017    Biometrics Appointment letter received  July 20, 2017  Biometrics done August 6, 2018 "New Card is being produced" 

August 9, 2018 "Card was mailed to you"  August 11, 2018 New card was delivered to an old address by USCIS's mistake

August 13, 2018 Brother-in-law went to our old residence to pick up a card from the current residents August 16, 2018 Card was mailed to me 

August 18, 2018 10-year Green Card received 

___AOS___

Spoiler

March 3, 2015 AOS (I-485, I-130 & I-765) package sent to Chicago Lockbox                          

March 6, 2015, The package delivered to Chicago Lockbox
March 12, 2015, AOS package was accepted on March 9th and was routed to National Benefits Center 

March 17, 2015, Hard copies of NOA1 received for all the forms                     March 20, 2015, Biometrics letter received with the appointment on April 3
March 28, 2015, Email notification for I-485 RFE received                                 April 3, 2015, Successful biometrics
April 3, 2015, Hard copy of RFE received                                                              April 17, 2015, RFE respond sent 

April 22, 2015, RFE response received by USCIS                                                 May 20, 2015, EAD approved
May 26, 2015, Hard copy of NOA2 for I-765 received                                         May 27, 2015, EAD was mailed to me
May 29, 2015, EAD received                                                                 June 15, 2015, Hard copy of NOA2 for I-485 received. Interview scheduled for July 21  June 18, 2015, Interview was canceled                                             June 27, 2015, Hard copy of NOA2 received. New interview date is July 27
July 27, 2015, Interview completed. Approved on the spot
July 28, 2015, Got texts and emails for case updates. Form I-130: the petition was approved. Form I-485: new card has been ordered and welcome notice was mailed
August 3, 2015, Welcome notice and NOA2 for I-130 received      August 20, 2015, Email notification "Card has been mailed"
August 22, 2015, Green Card received

image.png

Thanks @Lettyana :)

Need to clarify on this:

*** After we get married (but before filing aos) Can we get a Life, health, or dental insurance?

We'd like to submit these in aos submission as evidence for bonafide marriage. After I get my EAD we'll gather more and submit on the day of the interview.

But since I won't have any SSN yet, not sure if there are insurance companies willing to give us insurance or any of these. Google'd it but it's not clear. Please advise.

*** Would it be better to open joint bank accounts / credit cards / financial commingling BEFORE we get married or AFTER?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Questions:
Yes, as soon as you can have a joint statement the better.
It takes awhile to submit paperwork.You can't submit something you don't have.
Not really..
Very soon actually..may look dodgy to them especially because your entry expires in October. How do you get to know someone well enough to marry in 5 months. You need to have extra strong/solid evidence you are not circumventing immigration laws otherwise it will be bad.
An affidavit attesting that you live in their house and whatever the conditions of the accommodations and have it notarized.
6* After we get married (but before filing aos) Can we get a Life, health, or dental insurance? YES We'd like to submit these in aos submission as evidence for bonafide marriage. After I get my EAD we'll gather more and submit on the day of the interview. But since I won't have any SSN yet, not sure if there are insurance companies willing to give us insurance. Google'd it but it's not clear. Please advise.
Once you get your EAD you can apply for your SSN. You can have your company's insurance if you have work or perhaps apply for Obamacare.
Strong evidences = financial evidences/ You may also add affidavit from people you know attesting to your relationship and have it notarized.
* Joint bank account(s)
* Joint Credit Card(s)
* Family plan on at&t
Read instructions carefully on the different forms. Make a checklist of documents per form. You have to remember even if you concurrently file, your I-130 must be approved first before all else can proceed.

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Timeline

Additional Questions:

Yes she can. Some change to their husband's name just to make sure it doesn't cause any red flags.
Perfectly fine.

AOS from B1B2

01/03/11 - Received SSN

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

Timeline

Thanks @Lettyana :)

Need to clarify on this:

*** After we get married (but before filing aos) Can we get a Life, health, or dental insurance?

She can include you in her existing insurance after your marriage. Check Obamacare if you qualify when you get your SSN.

We'd like to submit these in aos submission as evidence for bonafide marriage. After I get my EAD we'll gather more and submit on the day of the interview.

But since I won't have any SSN yet, not sure if there are insurance companies willing to give us insurance or any of these. Google'd it but it's not clear. Please advise.

*** Would it be better to open joint bank accounts / credit cards / financial commingling BEFORE we get married or AFTER?

Co-mingling your finances is a good evidence before is fine after is fine. This is just the first step, make sure that during ROC you have your finances together.

AOS from B1B2

01/03/11 - Received SSN

uzKIm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.