MarPhee

Tourist Visa for parents from the Philippines

10 posts in this topic

Hello, All!

I am a US citizen, but parents are not planning to live here yet, but they do like to visit me here. My questions are:

1. What are the chances of the them coming here?

2. We are not well off in the Philippines, are they going to have a hard time? What are the strong valid evidence to increase their chances for visa?

3. How long would it normally take for the tourist visa?

4. Can I go with them in the interview, are they going to be interviewed individually?

5. I am planning to go visit Philippines next year in December and hoping to have them fly with us back in the US for a visit, is it too late for the processing right now?

6. Are they going to have an interpreter for the interview?

Sorry for the many questions. I just don't want to pressure my parents to live with me if they are not ready yet.

Thank you for all your response!

:)

August 6, 2009 - AOS Sent together with EAD and AP
August 17, 2009 - Received NOAs of AOS, EAD and AP
Sept. 15, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment
Sept. 24, 2009 - Received E-mail approval notice for EAD and AP
October 2, 2009 - AP on hand
October 3, 2009 - EAD card on hand
November 12, 2009 - Interview Date / Approved
November 23, 2009 - Green Card Received

March 21, 2012 - Lifting Conditions

May 22, 2013 - Citizenship

Filed: Timeline

They have to qualify on their own merit ....good bank balance , title or deed of land/property

good paying jobs, (if retired good pension mthly), ties in their community, & proof if they

they care of any family members like their parents, or if you have younger siblings...other

than that they have to make the CO feel they will return home, don't offer more info than

asked and no you cannot go to the interview

Their chances depend on their ties to the home country and convincing the visa officer they will return home.

You keep mentioning them not planning to live in the US, which is a red flag to the embassy. Why would someone just wanting to come for a short visit think out loud about staying?

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Hello, All!

I am a US citizen, but parents are not planning to live here yet, but they do like to visit me here. My questions are:

1. What are the chances of the them coming here?

2. We are not well off in the Philippines, are they going to have a hard time? What are the strong valid evidence to increase their chances for visa?

3. How long would it normally take for the tourist visa?

4. Can I go with them in the interview, are they going to be interviewed individually?

5. I am planning to go visit Philippines next year in December and hoping to have them fly with us back in the US for a visit, is it too late for the processing right now?

6. Are they going to have an interpreter for the interview?

Sorry for the many questions. I just don't want to pressure my parents to live with me if they are not ready yet.

Thank you for all your response!

:)

1) Slim, but you won't know unless they apply for a tourist visa--$165 gamble per person.

2) Yes, they need to be well off to make the chances better, have property, other relatives, and jobs that they will return to the PIs. These must be stronger in the IO eyes than a relative living in the US. International travel to other countries is a big plus especially those that require a visa for entry and on equal economic status as the US.

3) Not sure for the PI, but it is usually about 3-4 weeks.

4) No and you would do more harm than good as you are a reason for them to stay in the US and not return to the PI

5) Maybe.

6) As I understand they can do the interview in either the native language or English. My MIL had her interview in Russian.

My BIL wants to visit us. He will come alone and leave his two children, wife, and job. I am hoping that will be enough to be granted a tourist visa. You might want to have one parent come to the US and then the other rather than both coming at the same time. Usually, once granted a visa to the US it is easier to get another one. I am not sure if the PI issues multi-year visas, but if they do and the first parent is granted several years then they both can visit if the second parent is granted a tourist visa.

Dave

My BIL wants to visit us. He will come alone and leave his two children, wife, and job. I am hoping that will be enough to be granted a tourist visa. You might want to have one parent come to the US and then the other rather than both coming at the same time. Usually, once granted a visa to the US it is easier to get another one. I am not sure if the PI issues multi-year visas, but if they do and the first parent is granted several years then they both can visit if the second parent is granted a tourist visa.

Dave

One of the parent or in-law applying by themselves doesn't always work. A friend of mine's dad applied by himself, was asked why he wants to travel w/o his wife and kids, and was denied. Conversely, an uncle of mine applied with his wife, they were both denied even though they have kids, grandkids, property and he had a government job. So, there is no rule of thumb but just individual cases decided on their merits.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Thank you for all your replies.

That is why I am torn, I do like to file a petition for both my parents to come here since I am a citizen already. The only problem I have it seems like they are hesitant to live here. I have 2 younger brothers in the Philippines and both have kids and they are dependent on my parents. Hence, this is also the reason why they don't want to live here for good because my brothers need more attention than me.

Should I gamble to have them apply for tourist for now? It is really a gamble because we are not pretty well off. Although, we have a "super small business" and they loaned a lot that is payable in 5 years so that they can build a house in the Philippines after 5 years.

Thanks, again!

August 6, 2009 - AOS Sent together with EAD and AP
August 17, 2009 - Received NOAs of AOS, EAD and AP
Sept. 15, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment
Sept. 24, 2009 - Received E-mail approval notice for EAD and AP
October 2, 2009 - AP on hand
October 3, 2009 - EAD card on hand
November 12, 2009 - Interview Date / Approved
November 23, 2009 - Green Card Received

March 21, 2012 - Lifting Conditions

May 22, 2013 - Citizenship

Thank you for all your replies.

That is why I am torn, I do like to file a petition for both my parents to come here since I am a citizen already. The only problem I have it seems like they are hesitant to live here. I have 2 younger brothers in the Philippines and both have kids and they are dependent on my parents. Hence, this is also the reason why they don't want to live here for good because my brothers need more attention than me.

Should I gamble to have them apply for tourist for now? It is really a gamble because we are not pretty well off. Although, we have a "super small business" and they loaned a lot that is payable in 5 years so that they can build a house in the Philippines after 5 years.

Thanks, again!

It's a $165 gamble per person per visa application, Just to give you an idea of the process. My then friend applied for a tourist visa to come to the US and visit me. She gather up all the information. I sent her the money for the tourist visa and she had her interview with a nice young women. She was denied. Two weeks later she goes back with the same evidence. This time she is interviewed by a nice middle aged man and was approved. The only difference was the IO at the Consulate. I also think the difference was that the man knew where my wife worked and it was a better than average job, but I am not sure about that.

Maybe they can show their children there in the PI are dependent on their support and they must return to the PI--of course they can send support from the US or so can you. I would gather up what you can and give it a try. You will not know unless you try.

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The application fee is very small compared to the cost of the trip.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's a gamble yes... but I'd rather go for it than end up wondering. ?

Edited by apple21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.