Jump to content

Permanent Resident study abroad with Petitioner (US Citizen / Spouse)

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I recently was approved for my permanent resident card with my spouse as the petitioner.

Long story short, I want to return back to my birth country and finish up my degree (2-1/2 years left). I am aware that I will have to obtain a re-entry permit and I will return to the US before the re-entry permit expires between semesters on break. I then plan to return to my birth country for the last semester without a new re-entry permit (only a few months) before finally returning to the US and continuning to make the US my permanent home.

I am aware of the resetting of the time. However, I would like to have my spouse (US Citizen) come with me abroad while I am studying and stay with me for the 2-1/2 years.

Is this possible with the re-entry permit, or will this prove difficult to convince immigration that I intend to keep the US as my permanent residence?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is fine with reentry permit. You can have even another one when the first one would be about to expire. I had three in fact, while I'd been studying abroad.

(but my GG was not through marriage, may be it is important)

Edited by alex06m

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.