James.silvia

Immigration Visa IR1 - first steps and timings

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I am Italian and my husband (we got married May 30th) is an american soldier. After spending 5 years in Italy (where he met me 4 years ago), he got stationed in South Carolina. I followed him for the first 6 months with a tourist visa then I needed to come back to Italy for a trade show for work + for the visa expiration. After a few weeks, I wanted to leave again on a 6 months visa, but it got denied to me - no particular reason, just they wanted me to get in the States with an actual visa and I agree as I know how tough the US is with this things and I am all about it. So, We decided to get married, he came to Italy a couple of months ago and we married.

Now I am in Italy and he is in America and we are trying to get the Immigration visa for spouses IR-1.

My first questions are:

- We sent the petition a month ago - does anyone know how long it takes to get an answer on the approval?

- He will need to leave for an army special training for the next 3 months - he Leaves August 21st. If I will be the agent of myself, would the NVC send the paperworks to my house in Italy or I need to get an agent in USA? My sister and her family live in the Stase, would this help?

- How long does it take from the visa petition approval to the interview?

- Is there anything we can do, as he is a soldier (has been for 10 years with 4 deployments) to speed up the process?

Thank you so much for your help.

My best,

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Did u apply for !30? Correct?

It usually takes 5 months to get an approval but when i called USCIS a lady told me it can take up to 12 months and the second time i called a guy told me 5 months sometimes a bit more or a bit less depends on your case.. Did they find u inadmissible to enter the US?
And sorry to tell u but no, is no special treatment for our army..sad

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.Ralph Waldo Emerson

So if you have been married less than two years at the time of entry into the US, you will get a CR-1.

The whole process takes 8 to 14 months, depending on how efficient you are with then needed paper work/fees, and the whole randomness of the USCIS/NVC/Embassy.

I would expect 5-6 months at the USCIS. One month transition time to NVC from USCIS. Two to four months at the NVC. Then the embassy is a very big variable...two weeks to 6 months depending on your embassy as every embassy is different.

I believe you receive the most important papers via email. I would have my mail sent to a US address purely for speed of the process.

Really, this should be no problem as long as you gather all the appropriate evidence/forms/translations. As you are planning for the future documents keep everything organized and labeled. Make 4-5 copies of everything, this will save time in the future. If you don't have a social security number, get an ITIN number...so you can file your taxes jointly. Be sure to do your taxes ASAP, so you have the forms ready for your AOS which I would expect you will be filing around February of next year....if you don't need it for the AOS/IV packet, you will definitely need it for your updated AOS you have to take to the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.