Jump to content

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey there,

So my husband and I have a few questions that we're a bit worried about...

We are currently in the process of waiting for our DS-261 to be accepted and waiting on our fees to be paid.

My husband currently lives with me in the UK, and he is unsure on how to do the following :

1. Proving voting from abroad

2. Taxes from abroad

3. Any help proving domicile whilst living abroad ( I think we have most of this one but any help will be appreciated!)

4. How much money do you need to be able to be an Affidavit of Support?

I am unsure as I have lived abroad for a while, on my police checks for countries. As I have lived in a few places in the UK, do I need to apply for mre than one police check here?

And does anyone know how I obtain vaccine and health records for the UK?

Any help on anything above would be great!!
Thank you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you doing DCF?

1) No idea.. I can't vote in the USA.

2) taxes... has he made enough to file taxes? If so he needs to have done so. We have a tax forum on the board.

3) has he maintained or tried to establish any domicile in the USA? Do you guys have a place to live there? Has he looked for jobs?

4) google I-864p

If he doesn't meet the poverty guidelines then you need a joint sponsor who is a USC or LPR and is domiciled in the USA who is willing to also sign an I-864 for you.

Have a read through this:


You may need police certificates. Compare what you've done with the chart under police certificates on here:


Go to the reciprocity by country to find out how to obtain each one.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey. Thank you for you help and information. We have got our process moving and the info you gave really helped.

We still have a few questions for anyone who has been through this part and any help is really appreciated.

My husband has not been living is the USA for the last 3 years, but can prove domicile. He has job offers but nothing concrete until we know that we can both be in America.

Can anyone tell us whether it would be best to just use him as my AOS or would a joint sponsor of his parents who are fully incorporated in America be better?

Thanks for any help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your husband have savings that are more than 3 times the 125% poverty level? if so, using him is easier.

But job offers do not count for the Affadavit of Support, so you likely will need a co-sponsor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

for uscitizen, is 3 times for the multiplier.

for a non-uscitizen, london allows the beneficiary to be included on the I-864 at a rate of 5 times, 5 is the multiplier.

you two are probably feeling stuck at this domicile thing - remember, it's one of TWO paths - you have to pick one and run with it - mixing them up is a good cause for denial based solely on domicile:

1. proof of usa domicile or

2. proof of steps taken to re-establish usa domicile.

most usa citizens, returning expats, choose option 2 as their path, as it's easier. the job offers fall under the path of option 2, not option 1.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.