tonyt

Duel citizenship interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

When i go for my citizenship interview they have asked me to take my passort, my passport is from Great Britain. What i am asking is, do they keep it or give it back to you ?

Any help would be great on this, and can i have duel citizenship.

Thanks tonyt

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, rifle in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "OOH RAA" what a ride.

Filed for citizenship 2006/08/10

NOA 2006/08/15

Bio 2006/09/07

Interview/test 2007/03/12 (passed)

Oath ceremony ?

12 July 2007 Filed I130

31 July 2007 NOA1

12 Aug 2007 NOA2

2 Sept 2007 Choice of agent form recieved

10 Sept 2007 Choice of agent form sent back

27 Sept 2007 application 4 immigrant visa recieved need to send $380 per person to NVC jeez louise.

28 Sept 2007 Money sent.

5 Oct 2007 AOS sent.

8 Dec 230 pt one and two sent plus all documentation needed

25 Jan case complete forwarded to embassy

27 Feb appoint letter arrives for 7 April 2008 yippee.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
When i go for my citizenship interview they have asked me to take my passort, my passport is from Great Britain. What i am asking is, do they keep it or give it back to you ?

Thanks tonyt

I have never heard of them taking passports from new citizens. I don't know about Great Britain's position on dual citizenhips, but I do know many countries do not recognize dual citizenships. It seems like the USA is one of them, meaning when you become a US citizen, this country no longer recognizes you as being a Great Britain citizen, although you still probably get to keep your passport.

I already have dual citizenship from countries other than the US. If I decide to apply for citizenship here one day, I can still keep my passports but my countries will not recognize me as being a US citizen and the US will not see me as a foreigner. Which means I'll have three valid passports (makes your life easier if your home country requires a visa from US citizens and vice-versa). But then again, you need to consult Great Britain's position on this issue. You should be able to find this information online. Good luck!

Vanessa

My story:

09/23/2002 - Met Chris online, there was something very special about this guy =0)

07/16/2006 - We got married in Reno, Nevada.

USCIS:

08/13/2006 - Filed for AOS, AP, EAD - they were VERY carefully packaged with a detailed cover sheet on top of each of the forms, just as VJ's instructions recommend. It was A LOT of work, but it did pay off! (we firmly believe this is what sped up our process big time)

08/31/2006 - Biometrics appointment

09/09/2006 - Received my AOS appointment date!

10/26/2006 - EAD touched and AP APPROVED!

10/27/2006 - AOS appointment at 7:30 AM! APPROVED IN EXACTLY 70 DAYS!!!

11/01/2006 - EAD approved

11/02/2006 - Email notification - greencard will be mailed as soon as it is ready! YAY again!

11/02/2006 - Welcome to the United States of America letter in the mail! Almost there! =)

11/06/2006 - EAD card and White card (a.k.a. greencard) arrive in the mail!

Journey Total Duration: 80 days

Filed for removal of conditions on 07-28-2008 and had them removed on 09-10-2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks tonyt

They'll give it back to you. I think they use it for I.D verification and that's all. They have no right to keep your British passport. They certainly did not keep my British passport when I went for my interview.

P.S. The citizenship test is fairly easy.. don't stress it too much! Also, don't plan on taking a trip abroad after the oath ceremony (sp??).. you'll have to hand in your Greencard, and they'll give you your certificate of naturalization. You'll not be able to travel with that certificate abroad, so you'll have to apply for a U.S. Passport which may take several weeks. I made that mistake, and had to drive to Washington DC from Charlotte NC, to get my U.S. passport issued in 2 days, so I could travel to London the following week.

08/06/06 - Married in India 3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_india_2fawm.gif

------------------------------------USCIS - CSS-----------------------------------------

09/09/06 - Submited I-130

09/19/06 - NOA1

11/27/06 - NOA2 - Approval

----------------------------------------NVC------------------------------------------------

12/07/06 - NVC Received and Case # Assigned

12/18/06 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032generated

12/19/06 - E-mail DS-3032 Choice of Agent to NVC

12/20/06 - AOS Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

12/22/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent Accepted (received e-mail conformation from NVC)

12/25/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated by NVC

01/03/07 - ASO Application generated by NVC

01/06/07 - IV Fee Bill Received (snail mail)

01/08/07 - IV Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

01/12/07 - ASO Application received (snail mail)

01/13/07 - ASO I864-EZ application sent to NVC priority mail (3 day delivery)

01/15/07 - DS230 Generated

01/18/07 - DS230 sent to NVC - overnight delivery by USPS

01/26/07 - DS230 finally received 11 days after it was generated.. can anyone say snail mail..

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE AT NVC

02/28/07 - Case left NVC

03/03/07 - Case received at Mumbai Embassy

05/22/07 - Medical Interview Breach Candy Mumbai

05/24/07 - Interview date at Mumbai consulate - APPROVED!

06/02/07 - Mumbai - Paris - Atlanta - Charlotte. Departs June 1st 4.45am EST Arrives June 2nd 4.12pm EST

07/10/07 - Received Conditional Greencard. Still waiting on the SSN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You get to keep your passport and I have dual citizenship (Colombian/USA) so I get to travel with both passports.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for everyones help, how long after the interview will it take for the oath ceremony?

Thanks tonyt.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, rifle in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "OOH RAA" what a ride.

Filed for citizenship 2006/08/10

NOA 2006/08/15

Bio 2006/09/07

Interview/test 2007/03/12 (passed)

Oath ceremony ?

12 July 2007 Filed I130

31 July 2007 NOA1

12 Aug 2007 NOA2

2 Sept 2007 Choice of agent form recieved

10 Sept 2007 Choice of agent form sent back

27 Sept 2007 application 4 immigrant visa recieved need to send $380 per person to NVC jeez louise.

28 Sept 2007 Money sent.

5 Oct 2007 AOS sent.

8 Dec 230 pt one and two sent plus all documentation needed

25 Jan case complete forwarded to embassy

27 Feb appoint letter arrives for 7 April 2008 yippee.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for everyones help, how long after the interview will it take for the oath ceremony?

Thanks tonyt.

Depeneds a month to over a year. It all depends on many factors where you live, your name check (if not already processed by the FBI), the schedual of oath ceremonies where you live etc. You should start to inquire I think after 2 months if you haven't heard anything. I forget when you're allowed to sue the INS, I think maybe it's after 6 months if you hadn't heard anything.

Either way, there is no time limit, so you would just have to wait and when you get the letter, then that's how long it takes...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Can you travel abroad after your interview, but before your oath ceremony? I'm thinking yes. This seems tricky though for planning trips since you don't know when your oath ceremony will be after your interview. How annoying.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Can you travel abroad after your interview, but before your oath ceremony? I'm thinking yes. This seems tricky though for planning trips since you don't know when your oath ceremony will be after your interview. How annoying.

Yes, you can travel between interview-->oath. You must report the trip when you show for the oath.

Often, the officer will tell you at the interview when your oath ceremony will be; it's not always annoying.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.