lifeintheus

Upcoming AOS interview questions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi everyone, we have our interview coming up this Monday and I'm a little concerned that we don't have enough information to bring with us so wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think. (We read the other post on this forum about what to bring)

A few questions about it:

1. We live at my wife's Mums house so we don't have any of the bills in our name etc. We have a joint bank account (just recently set up) and a joint gym membership. I also have some post that was addressed to me at the house and hope this will be enough.

2. Should we get signed affidavits of our friends and her family? I'd prefer not to have to go to the hassle of doing this but we can if necessary.

3. Should my wife put me on her will a few days before the interview? Is there any advantage to this?

4. Is it okay to say the truth at the interview, that we got married at the courthouse soon after the engagement as my visitor visas was running out?

Thanks for any help with these issues,

Derek

Hi Derek :)

Please see the red marks I made for some of my comments and suggestions :)

Hi everyone, we have our interview coming up this Monday and I'm a little concerned that we don't have enough information to bring with us so wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think. (We read the other post on this forum about what to bring)
A few questions about it:
1. We live at my wife's Mums house so we don't have any of the bills in our name etc. We have a joint bank account (just recently set up) and a joint gym membership. I also have some post that was addressed to me at the house and hope this will be enough.
- Yes, this is fine as you need to bring all your joint accounts since this was also photocopied by the CO (consular officer) who interviewed us such as bank accounts, gym membership. Do you have phone plan together? how about any type of insurance like health, dental, life, car. ( you can get a simple dental plan right away for a small amount )
2. Should we get signed affidavits of our friends and her family? I'd prefer not to have to go to the hassle of doing this but we can if necessary.
- We did this - one from our mutual friend and my aunt who went on our wedding. You can get your mother-in-law's affidavit or any of your wife's family members as well as mutual or common friends too.
3. Should my wife put me on her will a few days before the interview? Is there any advantage to this?
- We were not able to do this but some of the senior VJ's here said that a living will is also a strong evidence for bonafide relationship. If you can, you can have this too.
4. Is it okay to say the truth at the interview, that we got married at the courthouse soon after the engagement as my visitor visas was running out?
- Rule of thumb during the interview is just answer what was asked of you. So, if the CO did not asked you about it, don't mention it. But if the CO did, you need to be honest too but there's just a little off on your reason... " as my visitor visas was running out? " To me, I will look for another good reason and not say this.. you can simply tell that you got married at the courthouse right after our engagement because we want to spend our lives together right away..cheesy but somethin' like that will do. :)
Good luck and God Bless to you and your wife , you can do it! You can also check my AOS interview on my timeline too for more info.
Thanks for any help with these issues,
Derek
Edited by sweet01
710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi Derek :)

Please see the red marks I made for some of my comments and suggestions :)

Thank you so much for your helpful comments sweet01!

A couple of questions about this:

1. If we get signed affidavits, can they just be signed by the person and not in front of a judge etc? Are there any sample ones on the website or online that we could use?

2. We live in California, would you know of somewhere we could organise a dental plan today to call?

Thank you so much for your help!

You're very much welcome. :) Pls see my answers below (red marks)

Thank you so much for your helpful comments sweet01!

A couple of questions about this:

1. If we get signed affidavits, can they just be signed by the person and not in front of a judge etc? Are there any sample ones on the website or online that we could use?

-- Yes, they can sign it and make a personal letter for you and your wife. Sample form is found on this link - https://citizenpath.com/how-to-write-an-i-751-affidavit/. It is helpful to include a sworn statement coming from them “I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.”

2. We live in California, would you know of somewhere we could organise a dental plan today to call?

-- We came from Arizona and did process my AOS there as well as interview and just recently moved here at East Coast but you can check on these links online;

- https://www.deltadentalins.com/individuals/plans/delta-dental-plans.html.

- http://dentalinsurancestore.com/buyer's-guide/plans-for-every-situation/dental-insurance-no-waiting-period

- https://www.aetna.com/insurance-producer/dental-plans-programs.html

Thank you so much for your help!

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1. We didn't have too much more evidence than that -- we had a joint bank account (with money in it, a few thousand $), joint health insurance, joint tax returns, and pictures. We also brought a letter from my father saying we lived with him, and we also brought mail showing my husband lived at that address. However the interviewer wasn't really interested in seeing that -- she said monetary co-mingling was the most meaningful evidence.

2. I don't think it's necessary. As I said, the interviewer wasn't really interested in the letter my dad wrote. If you're worried you don't have much evidence, it might give you peace of mind just to have every option covered.

3. You don't have to, but yes this would definitely be some strong evidence of co-mingling. You might also be able to name her as a health care representative in an advance directive, and in many states all you need for that is some forms (often free) and witnesses to sign. Just Google "advance directive [state]."

4. Yes, you need to tell the truth. As sweet01 said, just say you really wanted to spend your life together or something. Getting married on a visitor visa is usually not recommended since it could indicate you lied about intended activities during your visit, so the interviewer might make an issue of it. Just be prepared for that.

Good luck!! Chances are it will be much easier and less stressful than you think.

USAMEXflag-small.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why was this thread moved? I thought the OP is adjusting based on marriage -- they just got married while visiting w/ visitor visa.

USAMEXflag-small.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why was this thread moved? I thought the OP is adjusting based on marriage -- they just got married while visiting w/ visitor visa.

Exactly. They are adjusting status from a tourist visa, which is the visa they entered the US with and remained. They are not adjusting from a family-based visa such as the K visa. The post is now in the correct forum, the 'Adjustment of Status from Work, Student & Tourist Visas' forum.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.