Abenabonady

K-1 Visa - Ghana Success Stories? [edited title]

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, I am a new member of VJ and I must say I have learnt a lot in the few days that I have been reading members postings. I will be embarking on this journey soon. My fiancé lives in Ghana while I live in the US. I would love to know if there are any success stories of members that went through the Ghana consulate because most of the stories I have read so far are all denials. I am hoping to learn from others experiences. Thank you so much as you respond. It will be much appreciated. PS. My fiancé and I have both been married before, we have a one year age difference between the two of us( I am 30 and he is 31), he was denied a student visa to the US 2years ago and we have been engaged since January of 2015. My divorce became final in May of 2015. I am also planning to go visit him again this month for couple of days.Thank you all so much.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Main problems seems to arise through limited face time. How much time have you spent together?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You were engaged on your first meeting?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I was about to suggest visiting the fiance again in Ghana when I saw you were planning to do so anyway so thats awesome!

Maybe try to get in touch with this couple. Their timeline confuses me but they got approved recently and were interviewed in Ghana.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/191502-yaoadjo/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Africa/Sub-Saharan regional subforum. Thread title edited to indicate Ghana. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I was about to suggest visiting the fiance again in Ghana when I saw you were planning to do so anyway so thats awesome!

Maybe try to get in touch with this couple. Their timeline confuses me but they got approved recently and were interviewed in Ghana.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/191502-yaoadjo/

Lol i'm sure the interview and approval part confuses you? My fiancee passed the interview on the first one, but because all U.S consulates were having system failure then, they put her on A.P for few days and they called her to come few days. she only did biometrics and given date to pick up her visa, no interview on the second visit.

Timeline

Hello everyone, I am a new member of VJ and I must say I have learnt a lot in the few days that I have been reading members postings. I will be embarking on this journey soon. My fiancé lives in Ghana while I live in the US. I would love to know if there are any success stories of members that went through the Ghana consulate because most of the stories I have read so far are all denials. I am hoping to learn from others experiences. Thank you so much as you respond. It will be much appreciated. PS. My fiancé and I have both been married before, we have a one year age difference between the two of us( I am 30 and he is 31), he was denied a student visa to the US 2years ago and we have been engaged since January of 2015. My divorce became final in May of 2015. I am also planning to go visit him again this month for couple of days.Thank you all so much.

First of all i'll wish you the best of luck going through this process, it's stressful with all the waiting you have to do but just be strong. Use VJ to your advantage. I mailed my i-129f form two days before i started reading VJ,but it was good to read and get help from other members going through the same consulate.

My first advise is to make sure you use all original forms and make sure you mail everything to avoid RFE's. send a lot of pictures with the petition, pictures of the two of you and with family and friends in different locations, different dresses, time of day etc. i sent 10 to 15 pictures with my petition. I sent copies of our emails, yahoo chat, facebook chat and comments, every medium we used to communicate, but i believe they look at the pictures more than all these. According to my fiancee, the pictures were seperated from the folder when she went to the window for the interview so at least she knew they went through the pictures.

Find one or two people who are a step ahead of you in the process and communicate with them more, in that case you know what to expect and if there's any changes you get to know quickly, and the way the Ghana Cedi to dollars change everyday, at least you know how much you will spend every process, there are a lot of nice people here that will share their stories and their steps with you easily, i was lucky to find some and we use to send messages here and whatsapp or sometimes call to discuss the petition process. Always plan the next step ahead and start gathering your communication info. Do not wait the very last minute to print over 200+ pages. If you can print a week or two whatapp and other chat, do so.

Also just be positive and know every petition or everybody is different, we do not know what makes these people deny or approve a specific petition, so just do your best. I believe i was very lucky and God really helped. I've only visited Ghana once in the last 11 years which happened last year (which can be a red flag and she was asked about it), being in school, my income was just around the borderline. My pictures weren't labelled, i only had 4 money transfer receipts, she got my mother's first name wrong, and we were still approved.So pray and just do your part, anything you can do to help make your case more convincing, please do. Make sure the two of you stick with the same story for anything. If there's something you think the consulate will question, come with a good reason with your fiance for the interview.

U.S embassy in Ghana is very tough, but people get approved eventhough there's a lot of denials, but pray you are part of the approved ones, if not you go the marriage route.Every step is stressful, before you mail it till you are approved, even NVC can be stressful the dealing with the consulate and then waiting for a positive results on the interview date. I'm even stressed trying to get an affordable one way ticket for her to come later this month or early next month, but when the two of you communicate very well and keep each other updated, things will be easier.

Good luck again, you can always hit me up if you want to ask something

Lol i'm sure the interview and approval part confuses you? My fiancee passed the interview on the first one, but because all U.S consulates were having system failure then, they put her on A.P for few days and they called her to come few days. she only did biometrics and given date to pick up her visa, no interview on the second visit.

No, what confused me at first was that your timeline said visa received on 07-9-2015 when it's only July 8 here in the US. Now I know why you have a date. I'm really glad you got on to this thread.

Timeline

No, what confused me at first was that your timeline said visa received on 07-9-2015 when it's only July 8 here in the US. Now I know why you have a date. I'm really glad you got on to this thread.

she was told to pick the visa on the 9th, i just put the date up just in case i too busy to do it and not forget later. We thank God she was able to pick the visa up yesterday with no issues

Timeline

First of all i'll wish you the best of luck going through this process, it's stressful with all the waiting you have to do but just be strong. Use VJ to your advantage. I mailed my i-129f form two days before i started reading VJ,but it was good to read and get help from other members going through the same consulate.

My first advise is to make sure you use all original forms and make sure you mail everything to avoid RFE's. send a lot of pictures with the petition, pictures of the two of you and with family and friends in different locations, different dresses, time of day etc. i sent 10 to 15 pictures with my petition. I sent copies of our emails, yahoo chat, facebook chat and comments, every medium we used to communicate, but i believe they look at the pictures more than all these. According to my fiancee, the pictures were seperated from the folder when she went to the window for the interview so at least she knew they went through the pictures.

Find one or two people who are a step ahead of you in the process and communicate with them more, in that case you know what to expect and if there's any changes you get to know quickly, and the way the Ghana Cedi to dollars change everyday, at least you know how much you will spend every process, there are a lot of nice people here that will share their stories and their steps with you easily, i was lucky to find some and we use to send messages here and whatsapp or sometimes call to discuss the petition process. Always plan the next step ahead and start gathering your communication info. Do not wait the very last minute to print over 200+ pages. If you can print a week or two whatapp and other chat, do so.

Also just be positive and know every petition or everybody is different, we do not know what makes these people deny or approve a specific petition, so just do your best. I believe i was very lucky and God really helped. I've only visited Ghana once in the last 11 years which happened last year (which can be a red flag and she was asked about it), being in school, my income was just around the borderline. My pictures weren't labelled, i only had 4 money transfer receipts, she got my mother's first name wrong, and we were still approved.So pray and just do your part, anything you can do to help make your case more convincing, please do. Make sure the two of you stick with the same story for anything. If there's something you think the consulate will question, come with a good reason with your fiance for the interview.

U.S embassy in Ghana is very tough, but people get approved eventhough there's a lot of denials, but pray you are part of the approved ones, if not you go the marriage route.Every step is stressful, before you mail it till you are approved, even NVC can be stressful the dealing with the consulate and then waiting for a positive results on the interview date. I'm even stressed trying to get an affordable one way ticket for her to come later this month or early next month, but when the two of you communicate very well and keep each other updated, things will be easier.

Good luck again, you can always hit me up if you want to ask something

Hi Yaoadjo

One way tickets are always expensive. I suggest you look at kayak. There is an app for it on iPhone and android. They have a very way of searching for cheap ticket on any airline. Best of luck

Timeline

Hi Abena,

How many times have you visited your fiancé? Do you take pictures when ever you come on your visits? Do you save you flight ticket? Do you save your receipts when you go out? Do you save your conversations and phone calls?

It doesn't matter if your fiancé has been denied before. I suggest that when you keep all these documents well. It will come in handy when your fiancé is going for his interview. I suggest that you label your documents well when he going for the interview. Try and make everything simple for the consulate because they have a lot of people to interview. Also provide all evidence of your relationship. This usually overwhelms the consular. You don't want to leave any doubt in the consulars mind.

I have witness the denial of marry fiancé visas because they showed evidence that they had done their traditional wedding. The US consulate considers traditional marriage in ghana as marriage and will not grant you a K1 Visa but will ask you to apply as IRI or CR1.

All the best

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.