life-journey

U.S citizen petitioning Canadian citizen husband

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have never been employed before, my daughter and I has been living with my mom for almost a year now, she includes my daughter and I as her dependents on her income tax. My daughter and I travels back and forth to canada as tourist. My husband makes enough to support me and our 2yr old daughter but since I am the one petitioning him and i have never been employed before I don't know if this would be a problem? My dad is willing to sign the affidavit of support if that is not enough my mom is willing to also.

I am concerned if this will cause a problem on the petition. My husband has a good education background, earns a good amount and has savings. I'm going back to school soon since our daughter will soon be old enough for pre-school.

Please help! We really want to be together again in one home as soon as possible. thank you.

event.png

Petition is no issue. the I-864 may be and depends on the income of your joint sponsors.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Petition is no issue. the I-864 may be and depends on the income of your joint sponsors.

My dad makes $32,000 to 34,000 and he is single (divorced for 10yrs and have not married since)

I became pregnant when I was 19 and have been a stay at home mom/wife since, I'm now 23 yrs old. My husband earns enough to support my daughter and I so we will not need any support once he finds a job here. Do you think it will help if I attach a letter explaining our situation?

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Do you think it will help if I attach a letter explaining our situation?

Such a letter is completely unnecessary. The only explanation you need to submit is a brief one that states you were not required to file tax returns.

Your husband's earning potential is irrelevant at this juncture.

If your dad is willing to act as a joint sponsor, he will need to meet the threshold for applicable household size (him, anyone living with him, your husband).

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Such a letter is completely unnecessary. The only explanation you need to submit is a brief one that states you were not required to file tax returns.

Your husband's earning potential is irrelevant at this juncture.

If your dad is willing to act as a joint sponsor, he will need to meet the threshold for applicable household size (him, anyone living with him, your husband).

My dad's girlfriend and her two kids from previous relationship lives with him, the only thing with her name on it is the apartment they are renting.

For the past 3 years my dad includes my sister and her son as his dependents on his income tax (this year she will start filing her own income tax again) does that mean that his household size is 3? (4 including my husband) since that is what they will see on his income tax return? Or household size of 4 (5 including my husband) because his girlfriend and her two kids is currently living in his apartment? they don't own anything together.

event.png

Timeline

I don't know what I should do with the affidavit of support since I have never been employed before :( I'm afraid that since I, the main sponsor has never been employed before, even if I have a joint sponsor that my husband might be denied a visa :( PLEASE HELP!

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My dad's girlfriend and her two kids from previous relationship lives with him, the only thing with her name on it is the apartment they are renting.

For the past 3 years my dad includes my sister and her son as his dependents on his income tax (this year she will start filing her own income tax again) does that mean that his household size is 3? (4 including my husband) since that is what they will see on his income tax return? Or household size of 4 (5 including my husband) because his girlfriend and her two kids is currently living in his apartment? they don't own anything together.

His girlfriend and her two kids are not included in his household count because they are not his relatives. I'm not 100% sure and don't want to guess with regards to his household count as it currently relates to your sister and her son. To clarify, are they (sister/son) on their own and is sister employed?

I don't know what I should do with the affidavit of support since I have never been employed before :( I'm afraid that since I, the main sponsor has never been employed before, even if I have a joint sponsor that my husband might be denied a visa :( PLEASE HELP!

The main sponsor never having been employed before is no issue; this lone factor will not cause a visa refusal.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

His girlfriend and her two kids are not included in his household count because they are not his relatives. I'm not 100% sure and don't want to guess with regards to his household count as it currently relates to your sister and her son. To clarify, are they (sister/son) on their own and is sister employed?

The main sponsor never having been employed before is no issue; this lone factor will not cause a visa refusal.

Since his girlfriend and her two kids are not included in his household size, I'm guessing that my dads income still meets the income requirements even if they do consider my sister and her son as part of his household size. ($32,000) My sister and her son used to be on her own, 4 years ago they moved to philippines (both us citizen) my dad sent her money every month the entire time she was there, and included them on his income tax return as dependents. She and her son came back june 2014, she is currently employed so starting this year she will file her own income tax.

So since the main sponsor never having been employed before is no issue, and if my dad is qualified as a co-sponsor then there will be no problem petitioning my husband!

I hope and pray that everything goes smoothly with this process so we can be reunited again my daughter misses her dad so much.

thank you for responding to my questions

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.