laurak93

K-1 Visa Financial Questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I'm really new here. I found this site from trying to google for answers, so I'm hoping I can get some answers from people who actually know what they are doing! lol.

Some back story here, in case it's at all relevant. My fiance and I met online back in 2011. He lives in England, however, he has a Dutch passport because he moved to the UK with his family about 10 years ago and never became a citizen. I've been there three times and he's been here three times, with each visit being roughly three months each, never going over the 90 day limit. We got engaged while we were on a weekend away in Rome in 2013, so we've been engaged for quite a long time now.

Moving on to the real issue at hand here. I'm 22, living at home with my mom and stepdad, and am a full time student working part time as a pharmacy technician. I'm going to be graduating with my BA in psychology either next August or December, depending on class availability. Until I graduate, working part time, I'm only making about 10k a year, if that. He is working full time and saving all of his money because he lives at home as well, with no serious bills to be paid. We plan to start filing for the visa in November or December of next year, assuming I graduate in December. Is it okay that I will have just graduated or just started a full time job? Do they take into consideration the amount of money we have saved up, not just my salary? Also, would it matter that I would still be living at home when we start the application process? I plan on moving out as soon as I get a full time position after graduation.

All of this is just so overwhelming and stressful, and we haven't even started yet! If anyone could give me some insight, that would be incredible. Thank you so much. :)

Hi! I hope you'll find these answers helpful

1) " He is working full time and saving all of his money because he lives at home as well, with no serious bills to be paid. We plan to start filing for the visa in November or December of next year, assuming I graduate in December. Is it okay that I will have just graduated or just started a full time job? Do they take into consideration the amount of money we have saved up, not just my salary?"

On the step of interview the consulate officer is only interested of YOUR income, because you give the affidavit of support. All you common savings will be considered on the step after you file all the docs for AOS

2) "Also, would it matter that I would still be living at home when we start the application process?"

Absolutely no

3) "Is it okay that I will have just graduated or just started a full time job? "

Yes, it doesn't matter whether you have job for a long time or has just graduated and found full time job. When you fill this I-134 out you won't have full time job tax returns, but you still have your bank statement and official letter that you employed full time.

My fiance and I faced the same situation. We filed after he came back to the US without actual working experience here (after graduation he went overseas where we met each other) so, after he came back, he found a job within a month or so and we filed the petition. This I-134 he'll need only for interview at the consulate.

K-1 Visa Timeline!
Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guanzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2015-01-14 I-129F NOA1 : 2015-01-16                     California SC received: 2015-01-21
I-129F NOA1 hardcopy: 2015-01-27 I-129F NOA2 : 2015-02-06   I-129F NOA2 hardcopy: 2015-02-18
NVC received: 2015-02-18 Consulate Received : 2015-02-27
Fiance received the hard mail from NVC with a new assinged number: 2015-3-3
received instructions (pkt 3): 2015-3-5 (hard mail)          
paid visa fee: 2015-3-12
received appointment letter (pkt 4): 2015-3-12 (email)    
Medical: 2015-04-03 Picked medical up: 2015-04-10
Interview Date : 2015-4-14 Interview Result :Approved   Visa Received :
2015-4-24
US Entry : 2015-5-19
Marriage : 2015-6-27

AOS:

Spoiler

filed for AOS: 2015-7-16 delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2015-7-20

Electronic NOA1: 2015-7-23 Hard copies NOA1: 2015-7-28

Biometrics appointment letter: 2015-8-1 Biometrics appointment: 2015-8-12

RFE :( 2015-8-19 RFE hard copy: 2015-8-22

Finally sent RFE back:: 2015-10-02 RFE was delivered: 2015-10-05

USCIS updated status on "request for evidence was received": 2015-10-07

Combo card is being produced: 2015-10-26 (exactly three weeks after submitting RFE)

Case status update; card was mailed: 2015-10-28 Received EAD approval letter: 2015-10-29

Combo card received: 2015-11-2 Interview scheduled: 2015-12-21 (APPROVED :dancing: )

Green card received: 2015-12-21

N-400.319(b)

Spoiler

October 17, 2016 - case filed 

October 25, 2016 - NOA1

December 19, 2016 - Biometrics at GUZ field Office 

December 2, 2017 - Inquiry about the case being outside the processing time norms

January 2, 2018 - notification regarding the inquiry being outside processing time norms, the case has not assigned yet 

February 23, 2018 - scheduled for the Interview 

March 21, 2018 -  a response was sent to my inquiry about why your case is taking longer than our processing time

April 4, 2018 - Interview 

April 12, 2019 - in line for the Oath Ceremony

ROC

Spoiler

October 28, 2017 - filed I-751 case

November 6, 2017 - NOA1

November 20, 2017 - biometric at GUZ field office 

March 4, 2018 - status change: Your case was received by your local office 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm also a college student, in the midst of filling out the i-134. I'm going to fill out one form for me (I make $0) and I'm going to put my dad's information on another copy of the same, blank form. They say that they accept 2. I am the sponsor and my dad would be the co-sponsor. I hope that it works. He makes enough, and agreed to be the co-sponsor. But I do not make anything because I'm not graduating until May.

Laura at the top of this site you will see an icon called GUIDES. In there you'll find the jackpot of answers for all your questions you have now, and all the future questions you don't even know to ask about yet. In addition to the guides you'll find very knowledgable people here that can help you with your journey along the way.

Best of luck in your journey and welcome to the site!

I-751 Removal of Conditions

4/15/17: I-751 Packet sent to CSC 
4/18/17: CSC Received
5/04/17: Check Cashed
5/05/17: NOA
5/11/17: Biometrics Notice Received
5/26/17: Biometrics Appointment
4/18/18: Still Pending - Extension Stamp in Passport good for 6 months
8/25/18: Received an 18 month extension in the mail
12/20/18: Case Transferred from CA to NBC
5/9/2019: I 751 interview - was scheduled as a combo N400 - they said no N400 technical difficulties 
5/9/2019: Printing new 10 year Green Card
5/10/2019: Case status changed to - Your Case was Approved

N 400 Application / Submitted Online
Application Support Center: Las Vegas, NV
4/19/18: N400 Application Submitted Online - $725 fee paid
4/20/18: Biometrics Notice Received (Online)
5/04/18: Biometrics Completed / Early Walk In - Scheduled appointment was for 5/11/18 ( estimated completion March 2019 10 months)
4/12/19: In Line notification for Testing and Interview - May 30th 
5/01/19: USCIS De Scheduled Interview
5/02/19: Interview Scheduled - June 11th
5/08/19: USCIS De Scheduled Interview
5/09/19: Combo I751 and N400 - Could not conduct the N400 today due to technical difficulties. 
5/10/19: Interview date scheduled - June 28th
6/28/19: N400 Interview
7/26/19: 🇺🇸 Oath Ceremony  🇺🇸

Timeline

1) " He is working full time and saving all of his money because he lives at home as well, with no serious bills to be paid. We plan to start filing for the visa in November or December of next year, assuming I graduate in December. Is it okay that I will have just graduated or just started a full time job? Do they take into consideration the amount of money we have saved up, not just my salary?"

On the step of interview the consulate officer is only interested of YOUR income, because you give the affidavit of support. All you common savings will be considered on the step after you file all the docs for AOS

2) "Also, would it matter that I would still be living at home when we start the application process?"

Absolutely no

3) "Is it okay that I will have just graduated or just started a full time job? "

Yes, it doesn't matter whether you have job for a long time or has just graduated and found full time job. When you fill this I-134 out you won't have full time job tax returns, but you still have your bank statement and official letter that you employed full time.

My fiance and I faced the same situation. We filed after he came back to the US without actual working experience here (after graduation he went overseas where we met each other) so, after he came back, he found a job within a month or so and we filed the petition. This I-134 he'll need only for interview at the consulate.

Oh my gosh, that was so incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!! :D

Okay, so they only look at my salary, that makes sense. If he transferred a majority of the money he saved up into my bank account, would they take me a bit more seriously? I mean...say I don't find a full time job before I file. If I'm making the 10k or so a year working and have 30k in my bank account, would that work? Or would I need a co-sponsor in that situation?

Ahhhh, this is so confusing! haha.

Timeline

I'm also a college student, in the midst of filling out the i-134. I'm going to fill out one form for me (I make $0) and I'm going to put my dad's information on another copy of the same, blank form. They say that they accept 2. I am the sponsor and my dad would be the co-sponsor. I hope that it works. He makes enough, and agreed to be the co-sponsor. But I do not make anything because I'm not graduating until May.

I was thinking about asking my dad to co-sponsor me as well, but I'm not sure. He definitely makes enough money yearly, around 40k, but he's got a lot of debt and a low credit score do to bankruptcy a few years back. I'm not entirely sure if that comes into play or not. haha. Also, do you live with your dad or no? I'm not sure if I can use him as a co-sponsor if I'm not living with him.

Good luck filling out your I-134 though! :)

Laura at the top of this site you will see an icon called GUIDES. In there you'll find the jackpot of answers for all your questions you have now, and all the future questions you don't even know to ask about yet. In addition to the guides you'll find very knowledgable people here that can help you with your journey along the way.

Best of luck in your journey and welcome to the site!

Thank you so much, I'll definitely be using that!! :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you!! I am so nervous, because I've invested so much time, money, and effort into this. We already booked our wedding venue and sent out the word, and bought almost everything for the wedding. I do live with my dad, yes. Both my parents, and my dad makes also around $40k a year. So I think that will be fine. I'm just nervous that Ciudad Juarez won't want to look at his, and just mine and say no. I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are, but I'm sick to my stomach imagining the worst.

I was thinking about asking my dad to co-sponsor me as well, but I'm not sure. He definitely makes enough money yearly, around 40k, but he's got a lot of debt and a low credit score do to bankruptcy a few years back. I'm not entirely sure if that comes into play or not. haha. Also, do you live with your dad or no? I'm not sure if I can use him as a co-sponsor if I'm not living with him.

Good luck filling out your I-134 though! :)

Thank you so much, I'll definitely be using that!! :D

Hello Laura--

The first part of the process (your petition) is the same for everybody. There is no proof of income for that. You only have to prove you--

1) are a US citizen

2) are free to marry

3) intend to marry your fiancé within 90 days of his entry on a K1 visa

4) have met each other in person, face to face during the last two years.

It doesn't matter if you live with the folks, have a job, fiancé has a job, etc. They are only evaluating if your fiancé will be allow to actually apply for a visa. The second part happens in London where he applies for a visa, and is vetted on his police record, medical condition, and having a financial sponsor to convince them he will not become a public charge in the US. (Very simplified, but I wanted to separate the two parts for you,)

When your petition is approved, the case ends up in London. Each consulate has their own procedures for for that part of the process. I am going to explain what is acceptable for London.

Your Dad can be a sponsor if you wish. It is about his income. They do not look into credit reports, bankruptcy, etc. He would fill in an I-134 and you wouldn't even have to do one. (It's a London thing.) it does not matter if you live with Dad or apart. Not a concern.

London allows self sponsoring. If he went to his interview with his financial statements showing he had $30,000, they would probably pass him right through with no I-134 from anybody. There is no published amount of what passes and what won't.

If he went to the interview with an I-134 from you showing $10,000 income and his financial documents showing his $30,000 cash, they would probably pass him right through. It doesn't have to be all in your pocket. There is nothing written in the law that is specific for the K1 visa support. It says the officer has to be convinced your fiancé will not become a public charge. London is pretty flexible.

If you have full time work and a new job with a good salary, a letter from your employer stating your salary would be enough to convince them. They do not require a tax return showing you made enough the previous year. Also they can approve a fiancé who makes only 100% of the poverty guidelines. (If your Dad sponsors, they will look for 125%)

Again, this is LONDON information and does not apply to other consulates. And it applies to the Support form I-134 for a fiancé visa. Once he enters the US and you marry, he will apply for a greencard. There is another support form I-864 that you must fill out with stricter and more specific rules outlined in immigration law. Yes you and Dad both would fill out a form if he co-sponsors. Yes, you must send in a tax return. Yes to 125% of the poverty level for you or enough assets (savings) to supplement the shortfall in salary or a joint-sponsor. Yes your husband's savings can count. That form is also doable for you. I just wanted to point out that it is the one with stricter rules. The visa one in London is not so hard.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Absolutely no

The answer to number 1 is not true, the UK, lets you self sponsor. So any money he has can be used. I showed my savings at the interview, because my now wifes income was not very stable when we applied.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you!! I am so nervous, because I've invested so much time, money, and effort into this. We already booked our wedding venue and sent out the word, and bought almost everything for the wedding. I do live with my dad, yes. Both my parents, and my dad makes also around $40k a year. So I think that will be fine. I'm just nervous that Ciudad Juarez won't want to look at his, and just mine and say no. I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are, but I'm sick to my stomach imagining the worst.

Juarez accepts co-sponsors. You don't have to worry yourself sick that they don't/won't.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Hello Laura--

The first part of the process (your petition) is the same for everybody. There is no proof of income for that. You only have to prove you--

1) are a US citizen

2) are free to marry

3) intend to marry your fiancé within 90 days of his entry on a K1 visa

4) have met each other in person, face to face during the last two years.

It doesn't matter if you live with the folks, have a job, fiancé has a job, etc. They are only evaluating if your fiancé will be allow to actually apply for a visa. The second part happens in London where he applies for a visa, and is vetted on his police record, medical condition, and having a financial sponsor to convince them he will not become a public charge in the US. (Very simplified, but I wanted to separate the two parts for you,)

When your petition is approved, the case ends up in London. Each consulate has their own procedures for for that part of the process. I am going to explain what is acceptable for London.

Your Dad can be a sponsor if you wish. It is about his income. They do not look into credit reports, bankruptcy, etc. He would fill in an I-134 and you wouldn't even have to do one. (It's a London thing.) it does not matter if you live with Dad or apart. Not a concern.

London allows self sponsoring. If he went to his interview with his financial statements showing he had $30,000, they would probably pass him right through with no I-134 from anybody. There is no published amount of what passes and what won't.

If he went to the interview with an I-134 from you showing $10,000 income and his financial documents showing his $30,000 cash, they would probably pass him right through. It doesn't have to be all in your pocket. There is nothing written in the law that is specific for the K1 visa support. It says the officer has to be convinced your fiancé will not become a public charge. London is pretty flexible.

If you have full time work and a new job with a good salary, a letter from your employer stating your salary would be enough to convince them. They do not require a tax return showing you made enough the previous year. Also they can approve a fiancé who makes only 100% of the poverty guidelines. (If your Dad sponsors, they will look for 125%)

Again, this is LONDON information and does not apply to other consulates. And it applies to the Support form I-134 for a fiancé visa. Once he enters the US and you marry, he will apply for a greencard. There is another support form I-864 that you must fill out with stricter and more specific rules outlined in immigration law. Yes you and Dad both would fill out a form if he co-sponsors. Yes, you must send in a tax return. Yes to 125% of the poverty level for you or enough assets (savings) to supplement the shortfall in salary or a joint-sponsor. Yes your husband's savings can count. That form is also doable for you. I just wanted to point out that it is the one with stricter rules. The visa one in London is not so hard.

This was sooo helpful, thank you so much! :D There's one thing I'm still not too sure about. I get that London allows self sponsoring, but since my fiance isn't a citizen of the UK, would that have any effect? I'm not sure if it truly matters. Ahhh. He's so confusing. Haha.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.