jim_julian

Basic Question: What is the difference between a K1 "Paper Filer" and whatever the alternative is?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Been a long time since I posted here. I went through the process about 10 years ago with my K1/K2. Celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary a few days ago and wife, now US citizen, and I couldn't be happier. Got a lot of help from VJ on our journey.

I have a friend of mine who is considering doing the same thing lao po and I did. Have urged him just to join VJ and learn but he is not ready for that and has asked me to help him think his way through the process. I have read in the forums, USCIS, NVC and GUZ to review and almost everything seems the same. The one apparent change that I can't seem to define is use of the term "paper filers" in reference to the process between NVC and GUZ. It implies there is an alternative. At first I thought this must have something to do with the on-line DS-160 which replaces a bunch of paper that had to be done in "olden times" but now I think it is something more.

So my questions are:

1. What is a "paper filer"?

2. What is the alternative to "paper filer", if any?

3. Is there another question I should be asking in this area?

My apologies if this is throughly covered elsewhere ... I have poked around in the topics but can't seem to find anything that doesn't assume you already know the answers to 1 and 2 above.

As always, thanks for your help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your only option for a K1 visa is to file a I-129F by printing the application and mailing it in.

I have seen some articles suggesting that plans and projects to change that which are delayed and over budget.

http://www.executivegov.com/2015/06/gao-recommends-dhs-work-on-uscis-transformation-program-oversight-governance/

The article links to a 58 page pdf for details.

Timeline

Your only option for a K1 visa is to file a I-129F by printing the application and mailing it in.

I have seen some articles suggesting that plans and projects to change that which are delayed and over budget.

http://www.executivegov.com/2015/06/gao-recommends-dhs-work-on-uscis-transformation-program-oversight-governance/

The article links to a 58 page pdf for details.

Thank you Ship. I wasn't referring to the basic filing of the I-129F, but instead the processing between NVC and GUZ of the package that will trigger GUZ to proceed with their portion of the process.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome back to the forum.

You may be thinking about the DOS Case File. I am not sure if it is the same now, however I will try to describe the situation when we went through the Guangzhou consulate (GUZ). After the requisite processing by the NVC, the NVC (DOS) sends the paper copy of the Case File to the GUZ via diplomatic pouch, typically via DHL. Once the diplomatic pouch arrives at a bonded customs warehouse in Guangzhou it is then sequestered for an undetermined length of time. This quarantine process is a bit of a cat-and-mouse game that the US and PRC governments do with each of their countries' respective diplomatic pouches. The DOS also sends the Case File electronically to the GUZ consulate. It is my impression that the GUZ opens up the electronic Case Files (e-casefile) and uses them to process the K1/K2 visas (in our instance), rather than waiting for the paper Case Files to be released from the bonded customs warehouses. I am not sure of the rationale or timeframe that the consulate employs when utilizing the electronic Case File. It is my impression that the use of the e-casefile significantly reduced the processing time of our K1/K2 visas.

Darnell is the resident expert on the happenings at the GUZ. Hopefully he will see your post and respond.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Welcome back to the forum.

You may be thinking about the DOS Case File. I am not sure if it is the same now, however I will try to describe the situation when we went through the Guangzhou consulate (GUZ). After the requisite processing by the NVC, the NVC (DOS) sends the paper copy of the Case File to the GUZ via diplomatic pouch, typically via DHL. Once the diplomatic pouch arrives at a bonded customs warehouse in Guangzhou it is then sequestered for an undetermined length of time. This quarantine process is a bit of a cat-and-mouse game that the US and PRC governments do with each of their countries' respective diplomatic pouches. The DOS also sends the Case File electronically to the GUZ consulate. It is my impression that the GUZ opens up the electronic Case Files (e-casefile) and uses them to process the K1/K2 visas (in our instance), rather than waiting for the paper Case Files to be released from the bonded customs warehouses. I am not sure of the rationale or timeframe that the consulate employs when utilizing the electronic Case File. It is my impression that the use of the e-casefile significantly reduced the processing time of our K1/K2 visas.

Darnell is the resident expert on the happenings at the GUZ. Hopefully he will see your post and respond.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thanks Pit ... yep I remember the drill of trying to figure out when the paper was shipped and when it would be processed. Maybe I am just confused by the use of the term "paper filers" in several posts and wrongfully assumed that there was a non-paper path for some of this ... other than the 160 submission. Thanks for your input.

Timeline

Thanks Pit ... yep I remember the drill of trying to figure out when the paper was shipped and when it would be processed. Maybe I am just confused by the use of the term "paper filers" in several posts and wrongfully assumed that there was a non-paper path for some of this ... other than the 160 submission. Thanks for your input.

Hey Jim,

Sounds like you remember that paper chase at the old GUZ. It doesn't appear that much has changed, except for a new management intermediary, usatraveldocs (?) (CGI Stanley) and a new consulate location. I haven't been to the new location, but there is a posting by an old vet of the the digs. I have to say that I did really enjoy the park across the street from the old consulate. Like the other posting indicated, there has been talk about going electronic for K1 visas, but those plans have yet to come to fruition.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Hey Jim,

Sounds like you remember that paper chase at the old GUZ. It doesn't appear that much has changed, except for a new management intermediary, usatraveldocs (?) (CGI Stanley) and a new consulate location. I haven't been to the new location, but there is a posting by an old vet of the the digs. I have to say that I did really enjoy the park across the street from the old consulate. Like the other posting indicated, there has been talk about going electronic for K1 visas, but those plans have yet to come to fruition.

Thanks again Pit. Yes, I've looked at CGI Stanley and the 160 process. Actually the thing I was really trying to get a handle on was time between when NVC sends letter and beneficiary gets a letter from GUZ requesting that she do the 160 and all of the rest of the interview prerequisites. I guess I'll just try to look at some timelines of recent K-1's and not worry about the "paper filer" discussions.

Timeline

It sounds like you are referring to "opt-in" electronic filing which there are a couple threads on here that walk you though the process. The post above referring to NVC to Consulate is the same thing.I believe. However, that was before CGI Stanley was fully operational so it may no longer be valid. This process changes all the time. The best advice to your friend is start building evidence and once he is ready come here with questions.

Edited by LBeachey

Timeline

Hi, Jim. I-130's can choose elecronic processing by filing all NVC documents electronically (by email).

K-1's do not have this option - the NVZ and GUZ decide whether documents are transmitted electronically (NVC to GUZ), or whether the applicant must wait for the paper files to pass through customs, as per the way you and I did in 2005

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline

Been a long time since I posted here. I went through the process about 10 years ago with my K1/K2. Celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary a few days ago and wife, now US citizen, and I couldn't be happier. Got a lot of help from VJ on our journey.

I have a friend of mine who is considering doing the same thing lao po and I did. Have urged him just to join VJ and learn but he is not ready for that and has asked me to help him think his way through the process. I have read in the forums, USCIS, NVC and GUZ to review and almost everything seems the same. The one apparent change that I can't seem to define is use of the term "paper filers" in reference to the process between NVC and GUZ. It implies there is an alternative. At first I thought this must have something to do with the on-line DS-160 which replaces a bunch of paper that had to be done in "olden times" but now I think it is something more.

So my questions are:

1. What is a "paper filer"?

2. What is the alternative to "paper filer", if any?

3. Is there another question I should be asking in this area?

My apologies if this is throughly covered elsewhere ... I have poked around in the topics but can't seem to find anything that doesn't assume you already know the answers to 1 and 2 above.

As always, thanks for your help!

Some of my pictures of the new consulate - we've been there several times recently for my new passport and for the notary services.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47488-some-pictures-of-the-new-consulate/

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing

Timeline

Hi, Jim. I-130's can choose elecronic processing by filing all NVC documents electronically (by email).

K-1's do not have this option - the NVZ and GUZ decide whether documents are transmitted electronically (NVC to GUZ), or whether the applicant must wait for the paper files to pass through customs, as per the way you and I did in 2005

Thanks Randy. That answers my question precisely. Nice to hear from you again!

Timeline

Thanks Randy. That answers my question precisely. Nice to hear from you again!

. . . and you. Doug's write-up here - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47406-preliminarily-approved-ccp-citic-cgi-stanley-uid-number-birth-cert/- includes an excellent write-up of the CGI Stanley experience.

Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

'paper filer' label for NVC stuff, usually a CR-1 or IR-1, never a K-1 as there's no doc intake for a K-1 with NVC.

time,timing, scheduling and calender come into play with a K-1 at GUZ IV if and only if

the Hidden Fairy inside of GUZ IV decides that the SAFEFILE version of the casefile, an electronic image generated at NVC during its scanning process,

is adequate 'enough' to continue without waiting for the paper file.

No one else has input on that decision making process, it's not something one can request, either ("Please use the SAFEFILE version solely , Mr. Vice-Consul" - this just doesn't happen)

Now for IR-1s and CR-1s, with doc intake done at NVC, there's a distinction there at NVC between paper filers at NVC and electronic filers at NVC, and NVC (Not GUZ IV) sets the appointment after the docs have been reviewed , which

negates the 2 to 6 month wait window for the casefile to be retrieved out of the China Customs Bonded warehouse (where it's been sitting, per treaty, with a label of 'Consular Documents')

Fun? Fun !

HTH !

now for a K-1 visa chaser in Guangzhou, the paper visa application process you did way back in the stone age doesn't exist anymore - it's all wrapped into a DS-160 that's sorta available once you set up an account at ustraveldocs.com/cn (A CGI Stanley Company, those same buffoons that wrote the ObamaCare Web Portals) .

Thanks again Pit. Yes, I've looked at CGI Stanley and the 160 process. Actually the thing I was really trying to get a handle on was time between when NVC sends letter and beneficiary gets a letter from GUZ requesting that she do the 160 and all of the rest of the interview prerequisites. I guess I'll just try to look at some timelines of recent K-1's and not worry about the "paper filer" discussions.

a lot of this 'waiting for a letter' can be bypassed by studying status at CEAC, paying the visa fee at CITIC bank when this status flips to 'READY' and going forth with the self-scheduling component (to chase an interview) with ustraveldocs.com/cn

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.