Jump to content

When to start visa application?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I have married a US citizen, and I am going to move to the USA.

My question is regarding when to start filing visa documents. I am planning to go there in mid-July. What's the best way to do this..?

File the I-130 now, then file the remainder of the documents when I'm in the USA, to adjust status.


File everything when I'm in the USA on a visitor visa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you implying that you are going to use your visitor's visa to immigrate to the USA? That would be against the law. Visa Journey deletes all posts supporting/promoting illegal activities.

The correct course of action would be to file for a CR1/IR1 visa. It will take about a year. There are guides that explain the process in detail. I would suggest starting the process as soon as possible.

Edited by Moustafa/Crystal

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going there in July and will be admitted on a visitor visa. I will stay with my wife, I won't be moving or living there, as I will, as I previously said, be a visitor. Please don't jump straight to the "illegal activities" part, lol!

Form I-485 is "Application to register permanent residence OR adjust status". That being, adjust from a visitor, to resident. Hence my question of filing everything when I am in the USA on a visitor visa. This is in no way illegal whatsoever.

I don't think it takes a year for this process? I've not had anyone tell me it's anywhere near that long.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

*** it is visa fraud to use a visitors visa to enter the USA with the intention of staying, which is the Op's expressed intent in the Op and later reply; the ability to AOS within the USA is for specific circumstances when the beneficiary is already in the USA and circumstances change, such as a surprise pregnancy. This thread is closed and not to be re-started.

The correct way to immigrate to the USA is to persue a CR-1 spousal visa which yes, takes about a year: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 ********.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.
This topic is now closed to further replies.
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.