Joiya

Temp. Perm. Res. Card lost/stolen and Biometrics appt soon!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All!

I am posting on behalf of my husband, who came over on a K-1 from the Philippines in 2012. It took us 2.5 years, but we did it!

Now, it was time to file his I-751 to adjust his status from Temporary to Permanent.

We sent in his paperwork in early May, and got a letter the first week of June telling him that his temporary Perm. Resident Card was renewed for a year and to wait for a biometrics appointment.

However, his wallet was lost/stolen including his card a couple of days after we got the extension letter. I wasn't sure whether to report it to USCIS (we did file with the police) because a replacement costs around $400 and we just had our check cashed for $600 to get the new card.

Unfortunately, we got his letter for a biometrics apt this week and he needs to have the card!

It's pretty much my fault, since I used a lawyer for his K-1, but we didn't this time around. They would have known what to do, and I simply didn't.

So... what do we do???! If I report and order the card now, it won't come in time. I am so angry about the extra cost, but obviously keeping him here with me and our daughter is more important.

Any advice or comments would be really appreciated!

Edited by Joiya

Timeline

Actually he can use his state ID or driver's license for the biometrics.

Really?

The letter said something like "all applicants filing for a change of status must bring their Permanent Resident Card".

Maybe that was referring to becoming a citizen, and not removing his temporary status?

Gosh, that would be fantastic news!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Really?

The letter said something like "all applicants filing for a change of status must bring their Permanent Resident Card".

Maybe that was referring to becoming a citizen, and not removing his temporary status?

Gosh, that would be fantastic news!

Ooops, my bad. I thought any government issued ID will do. ?

I just did my Biometrics today and they only asked for a photo ID (government issued). I know the letter does state to bring the green-card with you but most people there with me had just their Driver's license. I won't necessarily panic yet; maybe he can try doing an early walk-in and see if they'll accept him with just the ID. Good luck!

Hello All!

I am posting on behalf of my husband, who came over on a K-1 from the Philippines in 2012. It took us 2.5 years, but we did it!

Now, it was time to file his I-751 to adjust his status from Temporary to Permanent.

We sent in his paperwork in early May, and got a letter the first week of June telling him that his temporary Perm. Resident Card was renewed for a year and to wait for a biometrics appointment.

However, his wallet was lost/stolen including his card a couple of days after we got the extension letter. I wasn't sure whether to report it to USCIS (we did file with the police) because a replacement costs around $400 and we just had our check cashed for $600 to get the new card.

Unfortunately, we got his letter for a biometrics apt this week and he needs to have the card!

It's pretty much my fault, since I used a lawyer for his K-1, but we didn't this time around. They would have known what to do, and I simply didn't.

So... what do we do???! If I report and order the card now, it won't come in time. I am so angry about the extra cost, but obviously keeping him here with me and our daughter is more important.

Any advice or comments would be really appreciated!

Timeline

I just did my Biometrics today and they only asked for a photo ID (government issued). I know the letter does state to bring the green-card with you but most people there with me had just their Driver's license. I won't necessarily panic yet; maybe he can try doing an early walk-in and see if they'll accept him with just the ID. Good luck!

Thanks! That was really helpful.

I think we will just try the walk-in.

Worst case scenario is we have to start over, and we know he is approved for another year.

Don't replace lost green card, but please file police report to prove if they might ask later. If you need proof for travel, schedule infopass to get a stamp with I-751 receipt.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

The letter states if filed an N-400 to bring the card, not if it's just ROC. At least mine does.

The stamp you would acquire would be an I-551 fyi. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.