MsFrizzle

Flying domestic while AoS is pending?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

My adjustment of status case is still pending- currently all that's left is waiting to be given an interview date and my work permit (from the i-765) should be here within the month. I arrived from the UK to on the VWP to visit my partner in January and after two months we decided to get married and applied for AoS (when I was still within the 90 days the VWP allocates). My VWP is now expired.

My wife and I have flights booked from Denver (where we live) to New York (LaGuardia) for a week at the end of the month. I'm unlikely to have any 'official' ID by then (other than my British passport) but I do have Notices of Action and other letters from USCIS. We got insurance so I can cancel my flight if need be (she is going for a work conference) but obviously I would like to go, but have seen a lot of conflicting advice from people. I've been told that the airport staff can make my life extremely difficult and even detain me for up to a week, but also that it is perfectly legal and I shouldn't have any trouble.

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of this that they could share with me? I would really appreciate it!

Thank you,

Sofie

No problem, bring passport + I-485 receipt. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling, from AOS Family ~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hi everyone!

My adjustment of status case is still pending- currently all that's left is waiting to be given an interview date and my work permit (from the i-765) should be here within the month. I arrived from the UK to on the VWP to visit my partner in January and after two months we decided to get married and applied for AoS (when I was still within the 90 days the VWP allocates). My VWP is now expired.

My wife and I have flights booked from Denver (where we live) to New York (LaGuardia) for a week at the end of the month. I'm unlikely to have any 'official' ID by then (other than my British passport) but I do have Notices of Action and other letters from USCIS. We got insurance so I can cancel my flight if need be (she is going for a work conference) but obviously I would like to go, but have seen a lot of conflicting advice from people. I've been told that the airport staff can make my life extremely difficult and even detain me for up to a week, but also that it is perfectly legal and I shouldn't have any trouble.

Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of this that they could share with me? I would really appreciate it!

Thank you,

Sofie

TSA is to check your boarding pass and ID to be sure they match. The ID you can use is a foreign passport. The TSA cannot detain you for immigration issues. They have to call over a real LEO and even they cannot legally detain you for immigration issues. Only the CBP people can detain you legally. The TSA office should look at your boarding pass and the bio page of your passport. They should not flip thru your passport. Both my wife and my MIL travelled on their passports from Devner to LaGuardia. My wife did not have her GC yet and my MIL was on a tourist visa. Neither had issues as teh YSA agent only checked that their boarding pass matched their ID. The real problem that has happened in this country is that everybody is becoming like sheep and accepting i llegal behavor from all LEO all in the name of safety. Given the recent report that the TSA only detected 5% of the illegal items passed thru security, it goes to prove that the TSA is worthless. We should go back to the days when everyone could pass thru secuirty and you could meet your passengers at teh gate.

You should take your documents regarding the AOS along just in case, but you should be fine.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.