Jump to content

Two basic questions....K3 VS CR-1 and Travelling

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone

My fiancé and I are looking to get married soon but are a bit confused on two things. Our original plan was to marry and apply for the K3 visa but it looks as though the K3 Visa is being phased out and replaced with the CR-1. I live here in the states and my fiancé lives in Canada. We currently visit each other every month for about a week at a time. One month I travel to Canada, the next she travels here. Can we continue to do this once we start the visa process?

It is important to us that she is able to travel back home during this process as that's where her family is and she has good opportunities to continue to earn an income there. Her financial opportunities will be rough when she first moves here.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cr-1 allows for immediate work and travel plus all the benefits of permanent residency. It is also cheaper than the K-3 plus the K3 is rarely issued. In my opinion, no reason to chase it.

One may visit even after the paperwork is filed.

good luck

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your quick reply. What really has me confused is the language here on the VJ site when listing the pluses and minuses of the Cr-1.

"After entry into the US, as a Permanent Resident they may seek employment without restrictions. No Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is required."

"After entry into the US, as a Permanent Resident they will not require special permission to leave the US for travel. No Advance Parole (AP) document is required."

As I read the two above pluses, "After entry.....a Permanent Resident..." this is only once she becomes a permanent resident.

"Separation from family may be longer than if filing for a K-3 Visa (or K-1 visa for a non-married fiance). The applicant will most likely not be able to enter the US while their IR1-CR-1 Visa is being processed."

This is our fear, that she will most likely not be able to enter the US while her CR-1 Visa is being processed.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

She'll be a permanent resident when she enters with the spouse visa unlike finances, so she can work and leave the country right away . And while the chances go up that she can be turned down at the border it isn't a for sure thing that statement more so is directed at the folks across the pond not Canada but like I said there can still always be a chance but if she has only been coming over every other month for a week for a while and had no issues its probably likely to stay that way .

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That line about maybe not being able to enter is more for people from high fraud countries.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah just makes sure she never lies as to why she's visiting, you mentioned it's not for real long so it shouldn't raise any eyebrows and to be safe make sure she has proof she'll return such as the job you mentioned she has and such just incase the people at the border happen to be crabby that day .

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.