JayP525

Questions for I-130 and GS325A - Spouse Visa

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello All,

New member at VisaJourney who is looking help from you all expert out there. I am just going directly to my question and my story.

USA Citizen got married in India month ago. I would like to start my process of Petition. I am going to file under her maiden name and possibly change it to her married name during the NVC steps if allowed at processing time. If not than i will change it during the conditional visa stage. Reason behind changing the name is for the Tax purpose and my wife current employment requirements.

1. Can you change the name at the any stage after you apply for I-130 application was submitted? Has anyone tired something like this? Reason i mentioned this because i heard few people were asked and took the option to change the name at the processing stage.

2. My wife passport page doesn't have middle name on it, so when filling out the application should i list down her middle name or leave it blank and go exactly the way it is listed on her passport? Even our marriage certificate was filled exactly the way her passport name, meaning no middle name. My passport has a middle name so my middle name was listed on the marriage certificate. What you guys suggest here?

3. Even though passport copy is not submitted till later stage does our name should match passport page or it should match the marriage certificate?

4. How important is for me to apply her application under married name or people do apply under maiden name?

5. Is there any specific format for the 3rd party affidavit for bona fide affidavit? I have seen several format online but every one of them was kinda doubtful.

6. I dont have any asset or bank account under joint account Because i cant open a bank account in india due to the requirement but she does have bank account her married last name and she has own account in her last name which is maiden name. So i really dont have any financial documents which shows me and her share anything. Is that okay? Should i add her under my insurance policy and life insurance policy as an beneficiary? but if i do than under what name? Maiden name or married name?

7. I was planning to submit like a relationship timeline, Credit card purchases expense receipts, my tickets to India which i went twice, our chat conversation, phone calls, Skype calls and other stuff like which can show our marriage is real and legit. Would this will be sufficient? What you think?

As of now this are only question specially name issue and middle name. Once that is clear i can start my application and take care of the initial steps. I will really appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

~~moved to IR1/CR1 process and procedures from Bringing family members of USC to America.~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hello All,

New member at Visa Journey who is looking help from you all expert out there. I am just going directly to my question and my story.

USA Citizen got married in India month ago. I would like to start my process of Petition. I am going to file under her maiden name and possibly change it to her married name during the NVC steps if allowed at processing time. If not than i will change it during the conditional visa stage. Reason behind changing the name is for the Tax purpose and my wife current employment requirements.

1. Can you change the name at the any stage after you apply for I-130 application was submitted? Has anyone tired something like this? Reason i mentioned this because i heard few people were asked and took the option to change the name at the processing stage. ~You can change a beneficiary name up until interview if you want the green card in married vs maiden name. There is zero requirements to change a name however~

2. My wife passport page doesn't have middle name on it, so when filling out the application should i list down her middle name or leave it blank and go exactly the way it is listed on her passport? Even our marriage certificate was filled exactly the way her passport name, meaning no middle name. My passport has a middle name so my middle name was listed on the marriage certificate. What you guys suggest here? ~If she has no middle name do not put down a middle name. If she does, then do~

3. Even though passport copy is not submitted till later stage does our name should match passport page or it should match the marriage certificate? ~It should match each of your legal ID's. Birth certificate is the best. Really the marriage certificate and passport should match the birth certificate but I know some places put the new married name for a spouse on the marriage certificate as well.~

4. How important is for me to apply her application under married name or people do apply under maiden name? ~It doesn't matter at all~

5. Is there any specific format for the 3rd party affidavit for bona fide affidavit? I have seen several format online but every one of them was kinda doubtful. ~No there isn't. It should state their name, dob, country of birth, address, and how they know you. Affidavits are low on the evidence scale just as a note.~

6. I dont have any asset or bank account under joint account Because i cant open a bank account in india due to the requirement but she does have bank account her married last name and she has own account in her last name which is maiden name. So i really dont have any financial documents which shows me and her share anything. Is that okay? Should i add her under my insurance policy and life insurance policy as an beneficiary? but if i do than under what name? Maiden name or married name? ~the US government does not expect newlywed couples who live apart to have joint finances. If you can add each other that is a bonus and is great evidence. I would add her to your insurance of course and use the name she is choosing to go by in the USA~

7. I was planning to submit like a relationship timeline, Credit card purchases expense receipts, my tickets to India which i went twice, our chat conversation, phone calls, Skype calls and other stuff like which can show our marriage is real and legit. Would this will be sufficient? What you think? ~All but the credit card purchases are good. All they show is that you bought something. Proof of time spent together and then regular communication is best beyond financial co-mingling~

As of now this are only question specially name issue and middle name. Once that is clear i can start my application and take care of the initial steps. I will really appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

All answers in red.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

IMO, I would pick a name and stick with it for the whole process....things seem to be easier if that name matches the passport, but I am not sure if that matters...just pick a name and stick with it. A woman does not have to change her name when she gets married. I did not change mine.

Third party letters are generally consider to have little value. Howver, I used five in my petition. You can use whatever format you want. Be sure to include a copy of their gov't ID.

No one expects you to have joint bank accounts at this point in your marriage.

Use whatever evidence you feel proves to other people your relationship is real. A wide variety of evidence it better than a large amount of any one kind.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello All,

New member at VisaJourney who is looking help from you all expert out there. I am just going directly to my question and my story.

1. Can you change the name at the any stage after you apply for I-130 application was submitted? Has anyone tired something like this? Reason i mentioned this because i heard few people were asked and took the option to change the name at the processing stage. You can write the name as you want them to appear but there is a place where you are supposed to fill in all other names previously used and this is where you put the maiden names.

2. My wife passport page doesn't have middle name on it, so when filling out the application should i list down her middle name or leave it blank and go exactly the way it is listed on her passport? Even our marriage certificate was filled exactly the way her passport name, meaning no middle name. My passport has a middle name so my middle name was listed on the marriage certificate. What you guys suggest here? Only fill in the first name, live blank or N/A the middle name, and write the surname where applicable.. if you are going to add your name on hers, then that is the surname.

3. Even though passport copy is not submitted till later stage does our name should match passport page or it should match the marriage certificate? No, its not a must

4. How important is for me to apply her application under married name or people do apply under maiden name? Its just a name, not so important. You only need the marriage certificate to show

5. Is there any specific format for the 3rd party affidavit for bona fide affidavit? I have seen several format online but every one of them was kinda doubtful. I don't know about this one coz we did not have to write any third party, what do you have for bona fide marriage evidence.. you could be having more than enough, don't stress so much.. secondary evidence include pictures, co-mingling of finances, property, leases, communication chat-logs etc.

6. I dont have any asset or bank account under joint account Because i cant open a bank account in india due to the requirement but she does have bank account her married last name and she has own account in her last name which is maiden name. So i really dont have any financial documents which shows me and her share anything. Is that okay? Should i add her under my insurance policy and life insurance policy as an beneficiary? but if i do than under what name? Maiden name or married name? I don't have that too but you can use comingling of finances eg money transfer receipts.. any receipts of gifts bought for each other etc

7. I was planning to submit like a relationship timeline, Credit card purchases expense receipts, my tickets to India which i went twice, our chat conversation, phone calls, Skype calls and other stuff like which can show our marriage is real and legit. Would this will be sufficient? What you think? That is enough.. (let me know how to print skype chat logs too :secret: )

Thanks in advance.

I hope that helps

Mother & Daughter
Mom's CC: May 19 2015
Kid's CC: July 10th 2015(after checklist)
Interview Scheduled: August 27th 2015
Medical Date: Sept 11th 2015(Passed!!!)
Registered our appointment online: Sept 16th 2015
Interview Date: Sept 29th 2015 Approved!!
Visa in Hand: October 1st 2015
POE: 11th October 2015 - Philadelphia

Simply put, visa comes in passport name and green card comes in visa name. Pick a name. :D LOL

Timeline

Last question Which box to select under question for :-

Referring to the form for Beneficiary :-

This form is submitted in connection with an application for:

1. Naturalization

2 Other (Specify)

3. Status of Permanent Resident.

I have seen online where people mentioned Option 3 and i have seen few under Option 2 and mention I-130?

Timeline

Thank CeeMu. Why dont you take a screenshot and transfer to the Paint and than print it. You can do that way.

I have another question : Under G-325a where should i put the down the info that she stayed in Norway around 14 months for her work purpose. Would that go under "Applicant residence for last 5 years" and Applicant last address outside the united states of more than 1 year?

Timeline

I have another question : Under G-325a where should i put the down the info that she stayed in Norway around 14 months for her work purpose. Would that go under "Applicant residence for last 5 years" and Applicant last address outside the united states of more than 1 year?

Last question Which box to select under question for :-

Referring to the form for Beneficiary :-

This form is submitted in connection with an application for:

1. Naturalization

2 Other (Specify)

3. Status of Permanent Resident.

I have seen online where people mentioned Option 3 and i have seen few under Option 2 and mention I-130?

Put option 2 and write Form I-130.

1) yes

2) It was truly her last address outside the USA for one year then yes.

Timeline

Put option 2 and write Form I-130.

1) yes

2) It was truly her last address outside the USA for one year then yes.

She stays in India so that is also outside USA and Norway trip was in 2013 but she has been in India for last 2+ years. I am guessing that will go in last Abroad address.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Duplicate threads merged; please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.