johnny_2120

Please help, interview coming soon

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have my interview schedule for July 14th. I applied to citizenship based on marriage, everything in the application is solid. I have two questions:

1- My wife is currently out of the country visiting her parents, does she have to attend?

2- What is the timeline between the interview and getting the Naturalization certificate? How long does it take?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wish you all the best at your interview. That being said, I think it is only you allowed in the room during your interview and citizenship test. Your wife is not needed for that. As for your other question, I don't know your local office or where you are, but some offices have the oath ceremony the same day, if not though, you could be waiting anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month or so, it really is dependant on your local office and how often they do the ceremonies.

Edited by MiaPA

Pnyim4.png2LiSm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I have my interview schedule for July 14th. I applied to citizenship based on marriage, everything in the application is solid. I have two questions:

1- My wife is currently out of the country visiting her parents, does she have to attend?

2- What is the timeline between the interview and getting the Naturalization certificate? How long does it take?

Officially she does not have to be there, but sometimes IO may prefer if you guys come together or may issue RFE to conduct a second interview. It all does depend up to each case.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Any source for that?

As per the interview letter, it does not say to bring your spouse with your interview if you are applying under 3 yrs rule.

When I went for my N-400 interview, I was with my spouse and father-in-law, and that day, they did ask to do a quick interview for my wife before they would do my interview. Like I said before - it all depend up to case to case. I was immigrant as IR-1, so was able to skip ROC process, then did apply N-400 under 3 yrs rule.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've never heard of anyone being asked to bring their spouse to the interview. Most people go alone. If there's a reason for suspicion the interviewer may call her. If she's spending lots of time abroad, that may raise questions.

Assuming you're approved, it could take a few weeks to a few months for you to become a citizen. Some offices do it on the same day. If it goes over 4 months from the time you get a decision then you're beyond normal processing times. Also, sometimes you don't get a decision on the day of your interview and that could cause further delays.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed that the spouse does not need to attend and they are only interviewing the applicant.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There was a topic discussed in the past...One VJ memeber shared her interview experience. She came to the interview with her husband, and when her name was called they both got up and started walking towards the window when the IO said that only the applicant is allowed in.

So I guess this can be considered a reliable source to support the statement that people other than an applicant, authorized translators and lawyers, cannot be present during the interview.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.