gingernugget

Travelling out of the U.S. With AP/EAD approval letter

9 posts in this topic

I've tried searching threads and can't seem to get an answer for my Advanced Parole question.

I received my approval letter at the beginning of May and they updated my case status to say they mailed me photo card out on May 12th and I still haven't received it. I know I need to call by June 10th if it doesn't arrive but i was wondering if anyone tried to travel to Canada with just the letter? Or do I need the photo card?

I haven't seen my family in nearly 7 months now and my husband booked off a long weekend for this weekend a long time ago for us to go back to Canada for my sisters Engagment party (which I am hosting as I'm the maid of honour)

Gingernugget

My wife's EAD/AP was approved on 05/12 and she received it on 05/20 ... it may be your location but it shouldn't take this long to receive the card. I would call anyway.

As for travelling without the card, personally I wouldn't risk it ... I'd wait for the card ...

K1 Timeline:

02/28/2014 - I-129F Submitted
04/08/2014 - I-129F NOA2 Received

07/03/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 1 (Result: Sputum Culture)

09/18/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 2 (Result: Passed)

10/14/2014 - K1 Visa Interview (Result: Approved)

10/23/2014 - K1 Visa Issued

11/09/2014 - Entered USA (POE: Los Angeles)

01/02/2015 - Wedding Day

AOS Timeline:

03/02/2015 - I-485 Submitted (with I-765 & I-131)

03/13/2015 - I-485 NOA Received (with NOA for I-765 & I-131)

03/30/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

05/12/2015 - I-785 & I-131 Approved

05/20/2015 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

06/10/2015 - AOS Interview (Result: Approved)

06/18/2015 - Conditional Green Card Received

ROC Timeline:

05/15/2017 - I-751 Submitted 
05/26/2017 - I-751 NOA Received 
06/13/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

07/18/2017 - Extension NOA Received (twelve month extension)
03/05/2018 - I-751 Received by Local Office
04/20/2018 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on Passport, six-month extension)

06/18/2018 - Extension NOA Received (eighteen month extension)

10/29/2019 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on new Passport)

11/06/2019 - I-751 Approved

11/14/2019 - Permanent Green Card Received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

To be on the safe side, suggest that you wait for the card.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've tried searching threads and can't seem to get an answer for my Advanced Parole question.

I received my approval letter at the beginning of May and they updated my case status to say they mailed me photo card out on May 12th and I still haven't received it. I know I need to call by June 10th if it doesn't arrive but i was wondering if anyone tried to travel to Canada with just the letter? Or do I need the photo card?

I haven't seen my family in nearly 7 months now and my husband booked off a long weekend for this weekend a long time ago for us to go back to Canada for my sisters Engagment party (which I am hosting as I'm the maid of honour)

Hello gingernugget,

my wife is also in the same situation. usps seemed to loose her EAD/AP card in the mailing process last may 2015. we filed and attended an info pass appointment last week here in our local office, and we were able to talk to a very nice Immigration Officer (IO). Here is what she told us, theoretically since my wife already have the approval notice for the EAD/AP combo card and the card has already been produced, the Applicant can now travel out of the USA bringing with her the Approval Notice, but she might be denied entry when she returns back to USA, the CBP at the port of entry may not be fully aware of the process and may not accept the Approval notice and will still ask for the card. The IO suggested that when there is really a need to travel out of the country, she advised us to visit again the local office and they will issue a special travel document for the smooth re-entry to the country. Regarding the request for the reproduction of the new EAD/AP card, she did not advise us to request for a new one since it will cost us now around 700 USD, since the said card is still active it will no longer be free as part of the Adjustment process to reproduce, the process will again take another 60-90 days, just wait for the green card approval which will take around 3 to 6 months more as the IO said. Hope this helps.

AOS Timeline / Family-based

Feb 24, 2015 (day 0) - Sent Forms I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS to Chicago Lockbox
Feb 26, 2015 (day 2) - Package delivered and received.
Mar 03, 2015 (day 7) - Text / email messages from USCIS, receiving Forms I-130, I-485,
I-131 and I-765.
USD 420 and 1,070 Checks were cashed.
Mar 08, 2015 (day 12) - Paper receipts of I-797C for I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 from mail.

Mar 13, 2015 (day 17) - Mail notice received for Biometrics appointment on March 25, 2015.

Mar 25, 2015 (day 29) - Completed Biometrics, as scheduled.

May 12, 2015 (day 75) - AP/EAD approved and Card has been ordered.

May 27, 2015 (day 90) - AP/EAD Card received in the mailbox.

June 3, 2015 (day 97) - Received NPIW letter in the mailbox.

Sept 24, 2015 (day 212) - I-130/I-485 approved. No Interview.

Sept 28, 2015 (day 216) - GC mailed.

Sept 30, 2015 (day 218) - GC received.

Did you each get a U.S. Postal Service tracking number? I did not.

Hello gingernugget,

my wife is also in the same situation. usps seemed to loose her EAD/AP card in the mailing process last may 2015. we filed and attended an info pass appointment last week here in our local office, and we were able to talk to a very nice Immigration Officer (IO). Here is what she told us, theoretically since my wife already have the approval notice for the EAD/AP combo card and the card has already been produced, the Applicant can now travel out of the USA bringing with her the Approval Notice, but she might be denied entry when she returns back to USA, the CBP at the port of entry may not be fully aware of the process and may not accept the Approval notice and will still ask for the card. The IO suggested that when there is really a need to travel out of the country, she advised us to visit again the local office and they will issue a special travel document for the smooth re-entry to the country. Regarding the request for the reproduction of the new EAD/AP card, she did not advise us to request for a new one since it will cost us now around 700 USD, since the said card is still active it will no longer be free as part of the Adjustment process to reproduce, the process will again take another 60-90 days, just wait for the green card approval which will take around 3 to 6 months more as the IO said. Hope this helps.

My wife's EAD/AP was approved on 05/12 and she received it on 05/20 ... it may be your location but it shouldn't take this long to receive the card. I would call anyway.

As for travelling without the card, personally I wouldn't risk it ... I'd wait for the card ...

Hello gingernugget,

Hello gingernugget,

Gingernugget

Usually when they mail the card out they update the on-line system to where you can get the tracking number to see if it was actually delivered. Your case sounds like one of three things happened: 1) the EAD/AP card is still at the USCIS and has not been mailed and thus no tracking number, or 2) mail with a tracking number, but you did not get the e-mail notification, but the website was updated and you have not been able to check on that and then lost by the USPS, or 3) mailed without a tracking number and the USPS delivered it to the wrong address. Does not mattter as you do not have the card in your hands. I would make an INFOpass apointment to see where the card is and also see if they will either give you an I-512 stamp to act as an AP or an I-551 stamp to act as the GC. I would not risk travelling on just the approval letter unless you check with the CBP at the re-emtry point as to whether they would let you enter the US or not--I would also get the person's name and position.

Is your name on/in the mailbox? I had a letter the other day addressed to my wife redelivered with a sticker attached with my name on it. So I put a card back into the mail box with both of our names on it--the first card had faded and come loose. So even 4 years later, there is some USPS employee who thinks my wife does not live at our house and I have completed all forms the USPS has on who lives there, yet for some reason the previous owner's mail is delivered without question. My wife uses her maiden name.

Dave

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, it has a tracking number, and for almost 14 days now, it is stuck and not moving in one of the usps facilities, unfortunately as of now they can't physically locate the parcel/mail int the said facility, we have still an ongoing case filed with them and it is still in a waiting mode.....

AOS Timeline / Family-based

Feb 24, 2015 (day 0) - Sent Forms I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS to Chicago Lockbox
Feb 26, 2015 (day 2) - Package delivered and received.
Mar 03, 2015 (day 7) - Text / email messages from USCIS, receiving Forms I-130, I-485,
I-131 and I-765.
USD 420 and 1,070 Checks were cashed.
Mar 08, 2015 (day 12) - Paper receipts of I-797C for I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 from mail.

Mar 13, 2015 (day 17) - Mail notice received for Biometrics appointment on March 25, 2015.

Mar 25, 2015 (day 29) - Completed Biometrics, as scheduled.

May 12, 2015 (day 75) - AP/EAD approved and Card has been ordered.

May 27, 2015 (day 90) - AP/EAD Card received in the mailbox.

June 3, 2015 (day 97) - Received NPIW letter in the mailbox.

Sept 24, 2015 (day 212) - I-130/I-485 approved. No Interview.

Sept 28, 2015 (day 216) - GC mailed.

Sept 30, 2015 (day 218) - GC received.

You should not depart the US without your AP in your hands.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

So I called the USCIS and got my tracking number and walked down to the post office and the same thing happened with mine. They showed me that it departed my local sorting facility on May 13th but was never delivered and they can't locate it or tell me when it's going to turn up.... Isn't that lovely!?

Gingernugget

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.