alfredocalza

K1 - I'm having the interview at the US embassy pretty soon, please advise!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Good evening,

I submitted our case to the USCIS Texas Service Center on September 23, 2014. The USCIS approved the petition for the K1 visa on April 15. The petition was processed by the NVC and we just recently received a notification from the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela stating our interview will be held on June 30 at the US Embassy.

We both are very nervous right now as we don't know what to expect from the interview. Moreover, we only have been able to see each other for 9 days during the past 14 months and we really miss each other. I really think we couldn't stand a rejection of her visa. To try to avoid this, I took 2 days off work and bought a plane ticket to Caracas so that I can attend to the interview with her.

Here is what is really bothering me: About 10 months ago she applied for a tourist visa to come to the US. I told her to apply for one, because I though that if she came as a tourist we could probably spend some time together, I would propose her and then it would be much easier and quicker for us to apply for a Fiance Visa once she arrived here. On the application for the tourist visa they asked her if she knew anybody in the US. Her response was "yes" and she gave my name. However, when they asked her what was her relationship with me, she answered "friend". At that moment we were technically not engaged since I didn't formally proposed her.

In December 2014 I went with her and my family to Spain on vacation and I formally proposed her (after applying for the Fiance Visa on September 23rd).

My main concern is: Will the interviewer reject her visa for saying that we were "friends" at the moment she applied for a tourist visa? Also, will the interviewer question the fact that I formally proposed her in December 2014, 3 months after I submitted the petition for her visa?

Can anybody recommend me what to do in this situation? Am I worrying too much?

I would really appreciate any advise you can give me.

Thank you!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

worrying too much. Don't give it a secong thought, has no bearin on you K1

Were you engaged when you filed or not? You need to have been engaged when you filed....soo you were right? Someone does not need a formal engagement on bended knee with a ring.

Edited by Shauneg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey!

My fiancé just got his K-1 visa approval today and he tried to get a tourist visa to come here but he got denied in 2013. The first thing the interviewer asked him was concerning the tourist visa denial. He asked if we were in a relationship at the time and he told him yes. The interviewer then asked then why didn't you say that you were going to visit your girlfriend and my fiancé responded "because everyone told me that if I put that i will go visit my girlfriend that I would get denied." The interviewer just said oh I see you were scared of the denial. The interviewer was really nice about everything so I don't think you will run into problems. Of course every embassy and interviewer is different but you should be good :) Hope this helps!

Edited by kimmygeee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just try and be honest and hope for the best! I think that's all you can do. You two were obviously in a relationship at the time she applied for the tourist visa, yes? I don't think it would effect your K1 now. And I think a lot of people file for the fiance visa before the "actual" formal engagement/proposal...as long as you two were talking about getting married, moving, the future, etc.. (I assume since you filed for the K1 lol)..they certainly may question things though. Sorry, my advice I guess is not very helpful I suppose, but just to be honest :) I know it's hard not to worry, I drive myself crazy with worrying.

Good luck! And congrats on being almost at the end!

K1 Timeline
USCIS:

04/16/15: I-129f packet sent
04/17/15: I-129f packet received
04/21/15: Electronic NOA1 received - California Service Center
04/28/15: Hard copy NOA1 received
05/22/15: Electronic NOA2 received, case approved!

05/29/15: Hard copy NOA2 received
NVC:
06/08/15: NVC received our petition
06/11/15: NVC assigned case #
06/15/15: Case left NVC
U.S. Embassy:
06/23/15: Consulate received case
06/25/15: Packet 3 received and sent
07/06/15: Packet 4 received
08/24/15: Medical
08/28/15: Interview! APPROVED!
09/01/15: Administrative processing...
09/04/15: Issued..
09/10/15: Visa IN HAND
09/11/15: POE

09/23/15: Marriage

Adjustment of Status:
10/05/15: Mailed AOS, EAD, AP packet (FedEx)

10/06/15: Packet received @ Chicago

10/12/15: NOA1 received

11/06/15: Biometrics appointment
11/19/15: Case status "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/18/15: EAD/AP approved

02/10/16: AOS Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that phase. ***

[Moderator hat off]

Given the few days together during the many months apart, bring copious evidence of your correspondence, and take a great many pictures before the interview and get them printed, to hand off to the Foreign Service National who'll collect your information before your fiancee meets with the consul.

In addition, this is a must: Give her your U.S. passport to hand to the consul. This scores big points and might turn the tide, if the consul has it in mind to give her a hard time or even to refuse the visa.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi! Thanks a lot for all your responses! I am not so stressed out now. My biggest concern is whether or not the Embassy would consider as misrepresentation the fact that she stated on her tourist visa application that we were only friends (we obviously already knew at that moment that we were going to get married).

The other question that I forgot to ask was how long does this interview usually take? I will be returning to the US on the same day of the interview at 5:00pm and will need to head back to the airport at around 1:00pm. I can arrive at the US embassy at 7:00am or even earlier.

Thank you!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

They can schedule and reschedule the interview as they please, delay its time as they please, drag it out as they please, refuse to accept evidence brought, insist that more evidence be presented then and there, split you up for a Stokes interview later in the day (essentially ordering your U.S. citizen hindquarters to remain, or the visa will be refused), or anything else that they please. This is the power of the U.S. consulates.

If her interview is delayed to a time when it overlaps with your need to depart, or if it lasts beyond that time, you'll need to hang onto your U.S. passport (rather than loan it to her) so that you can fly back.

Because "face time" is valued so highly by consuls, I think that this might be the chief weakness of your case.

In contrast with the above, it's possible that all will go smoothly and well.

I hope that your June 30 interview goes far better than ours went, 7 years earlier and in a hellhole consulate.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.