pwall

Does the sponsor have to be employed, even if they have savings?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

Does any one know if you have to be employed or if they merely want to see you have money / have made money in the past?

My situation:

I'm American and have applied for my wife to immigrate from Canada.

I want to quit my current job and create a startup. I'm fortunate enough to have a good bit of savings and can show a my past tax returns where I have earned a very good salary. From what I've seen they ask for bank account balances and tax returns.

With a straight face I can say "I'm self employed" but she's anxious that if I'm not earning income during the interview that it's cause for them to deny us.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Filed: Country: Israel
Timeline

My two cents: Don't quit the job until the process is over. It's much better to be employed by a company and earning a salary than newly self-employed. Some consulates will go by assets, not all do. Furthermore, if you really must quit your job now to start your company, then I suggest a co-sponsor.

I earn well over the poverty line for a couple of two, however because I am a new graduate, the consulate required a co-sponsor. My current income was useless. Therefore, if you can show employment for a continuous period of time that is well over the poverty line, then don't risk changing the status quo until the process is over.

I hope that helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will need about $60K in LIQUID assets if you have no income -- if you are well over that, then there should be no problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.